Stacking a CD player on other audio equipment?

Username: Black_octagon

United Kingdom

Post Number: 7
Hi all,

I've only just made the mode to getting discrete audio components and have been reading a bit about how to set your stereo up.

I remember reading something about how CD playback will be affected by even the slightest vibrations, and that for this reason you should never stack your player on top of your amp, or vice-versa. I also remember something about this not being good for heat diffusion.

However, in neither my CD player manual or amp manual does it say not to stack the equipment on top of each other. And I've seen a couple reviews (including on these forums) with photos of the reviewed equipment stacked on top of each other. It's unclear to me whether this was just for purposes of a good photo, or whether it's ok to do it.

I have the NAD C320BEE and Cambridge Azur 640C V2 and they take up most of my (precious) desk space here in my university accommodation 'study bedroom.'

Is it ok for me to put the Azur on top of the BEE, or vice-versa? Or should I just leave them next to each other as they are?

Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 569
Heat kills electronics, especially amps! Side by side, or with ample space above & behind each component. If you must, consider one of these fans http://cgi.ebay.com/Fan-120mm-DC-Amplifier-Receiver-Case-Cooling-NAD_W0QQitemZ20 0039045312QQihZ010QQcategoryZ3673QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem (I have one on my Marantz for extended use)

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1945
If I stack, I put the amp on top with lots of open space above it. Hot air rises.

United Kingdom

Post Number: 9
Ok, but even if I did put my amp on top of my cd player, and even if there was no heat issue, would the weight of the amp on top of the cd player affect the player in any other negative way?

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 571
Unike most modern CD players, the CA 640C is a solid, full-size component, that should not be advirsly affected by the weight. I had my CA 540D & NAD C730 configured that way for a while. But I think the slight heat generated from the CD player may still negativly affect the NAD over the long haul. Consider these http://www.avrisers.com/index.html

United Kingdom

Post Number: 10
Perfect. Just bought 4 of those felt pads. The NAD isn't actually that heavy, and I'm in a miserably cold part of Western Wales with no heating, so I should be ok :-)

Thanks again

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4359
Considering your location and thermal situation, Oliver, you might consider placing the amp under your seating position?

Bronze Member
Username: Jingka99

Kuala Lumpur, Kuala Lumpur Malaysia

Post Number: 20
Will the external fans have no effect on the amp itself? The fans are motors and I am just thinking it might introduce some interference on the amp??? and also some fans (or most of them) have noise when running...

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 626
That's why it is inadvisable to stack components on top of amps/receivers.

Yes, fans will introduce some noise (both electronic & ambient), but they will efficiently dissipate heat and prolong the life of your electronics, but your correct, it might be too much of a sacrifice when it comes to sound quality.

You might want to consider using it only during musical/HT respites. Consider it a $27 insurance policy on your amp.

Bronze Member
Username: Jingka99

Kuala Lumpur, Kuala Lumpur Malaysia

Post Number: 22
I fully agree with you Chris...Thanks...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us