Dual 505-3 or Metzner Starlight 60A?

Bronze Member
Username: Underarock

Milwaukee, WI USA

Post Number: 31
I'm pretty raw at this turntable game, so I don't know what's good or what's not good. I currently have two old turntables, neither of which would be considered particularly good (a Realistic belt-drive and a Technics changer). So, I'm seriously considering getting a different table.

I have an opportunity to choose between a Dual 505-3 or (at a somewhat higher price) a Metzner Starlight 60A. Any thoughts on these?

Thanks!

underarock

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9240

The Dual.

Bronze Member

Milwaukee, WI USA

Post Number: 32
Jan, thanks for your answer!

That was kind of my thought. Plus it might be easier to get belts/parts/technicians for it. But I just wanted to make sure I wasn't passing up on some high-end TT.

As a side issue, I know direct-drive turntables don't have the maintenance issues(i.e., belts that need replacing), but are considered noisier. How hard is is to a person to change a belt, or does that normally get done by a technician? I can handle a screwdriver, but that's about the limit of my "handiness"!

Thanks for any input!

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9242

It's quite simple to change the belt on a table, once you get the platter off the plinth. Most Duals have a "C" clip which needs to be removed and retained before you can pull the platter. A "C" clip tool is the best item to have for that. They run a few dollars for a simple pliers-like tool.

Bronze Member

Milwaukee, WI USA

Post Number: 33
Hi Jan

I should be able to change the belt, then. Thanks for the info.

As an aside, I lost out on the Dual (it was on eBay, of course). I'm looking at a few others, yet, like the Technics SL-1210, Thorens 160, Dual 515, etc. I can't afford a good turntable new, but I figure a second-hand one from a good mfr should at least get me started.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us