Whats the 411 on the Musical Fidelity A5 integrated?

Username: Dean45

Post Number: 10
So a number of people have mentioned the A5 in the past but it seldom gets any expert commentary. I had about come down to the A5 as the common denominator for an integrated. It has the power, 400w into 4ohms, which I need for the Dyno Focus 140's. The reviews are pretty good except there are rumors of a couple of problems. Is it a "Bright" amp, one reviewer said, "like the KW500 the A5 lacks any trace of harshness or brittleness even though it was marginally brighter". Another one said that it was not bright but he would say it was "illuminated". Is there some beating around the bush here? If it does not have a brightness problem why not just say it is not bright period. Something that worries me also is the treble the high freq end. Ken L reports that after he got the A5 his treble was "overshadowed" he also said that the high freq "sounds a bit muffled now with the MF A5". The treble high freq end is more important to me than the bass. I listen to female vocals, female opera, and solo violin a lot.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Never mind I found one of the problems with it.

Silver Member
Username: Ravbains

MelbourneAustralia

Post Number: 291
Hi Dean,

is it not possible for you to demo the A5 amp to see if it is to your taste?

I have not listened to this amp, but I know that it did get generally well reviewed.

Also just curious, what was the problem you found with the A5?

cheers
Rav

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Yes there is one in my area. However not being an expert I like to hear from other people so I know what to look for. Also some problems such as brightness I may not notice until my ears are falling off from long time use.

I did go listen. The problem is I thought I was dealing with an English company not a chinese one. I don't like being decived like that. Also with my discretionary spending I don't equate 3rd world with Audio File.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
phile

Silver Member

MelbourneAustralia

Post Number: 292
Hi Dean,

I believe that most all of Musical Fidelity amps, are now made in the far-east (Taiwan I think). But, the circuit design is done in the UK (London).

The only products that are still manufactured in the UK are the top end lines like the KW series.

I still have my AVi amp, and this is a very fine amp and I was very happy with it, until I got my Contour 1.3se speakers. I just found the AVi lacked the n'th degree of control with the Contours (which are reputed to be a very power hungry design, with only middling sensitivity). (Hence, I ended up getting a 2nd had MF Tri-Vista 300.)

The AVi amp is UK manufactured and is built like a solid ingot of aluminium alloy. Build quality is truly excellent and the sonics too.

If you can get to hear the AVi I would recommend it.

I know that of the UK brands, Naim Rega and Arcam, still manufacture their products on UK soil.

cheers
Rav

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Yes I have long admired your AVi. And no there are none in my area. If you are interested in parting with it e-mail me at soclear33@yahoo.com

Silver Member

MelbourneAustralia

Post Number: 293
Hi Dean,

you are not the first person to ask me what I plan to do with the AVi, now that I have the Tri-Vista!!!

But I cannot bring myself to sell it. I plan to make a "long term loan" of the amp to a close friend who runs B&W 705 speakers. The two should match up very well I feel.

cheers
Rav
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us