Cambridge 340a and Monitor Audio RS6?

Username: Cbowkett

Post Number: 1
Hi All -- appreciate some guidance here.

I have the above combo using an ipod as a source in a bright room (hardwood, no floor coverings etc), and listen to everything from jazz to country to rock.

I find the setup can sound a little thin, and lacking in the warmth that I crave - particularly at low listening volume. While it is miles better than anything I have had before, I still wonder if there is a better amp for the job (still in the "budget" price range).

For practical reasons (i.e. the wife) the room set up and source isn't going to change -- but I would appreciate any thoughts on a better pairing for these speakers (such as 320bee? arcam 65+?? etc)

Changing the speakers is a consideration, but not as desirable (they look goooooooood).

Thanks!

Bronze Member
Username: Logos

Kopavogur, IS Iceland

Post Number: 25
I would think the amp is fine but your playback source is not fine. It could be that the files that you are playing on your ipod are to much compressed.

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the comments. I agree that the ipod and room treatment are less than ideal, however as mentioned they are not going to change for now -- what I need is a setup that maximizes the potential of these conditions.
I have heard that Arcam and NAD are warmer sounding that CA -- I have also heard that the amp is secondary to sound and I should change the speakers first. I hope someone hear has faced a similar situation and found a remedy.

Thanks again.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4355
BFB has a good starting point in mind, Colin.
Have you tried some music in Apple 'lossless' format?
It may be quite revealing.

Post Number: 4
I actually just got back from the HiFi Centre here in Vancouver -- discussed my problem with them and they said first thing I should do is get a better interconnect from ipod to amp before I look at an amp change. They recommended a Tributary DCY-P?? Said that would provide a much better signal than the stock cable that came with my Kensington dock.

I will look into the apple lossless -- I have not tried anything in that format as I heard that there is not a big difference between 192 kbps and lossless. Is this not the case?

CB
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us