Amp advice

Username: Asgeir_kr

Post Number: 1
Hello, I'm new to this board and you could say im a bit of a beginner in the Hi-Fi world.

Currently im looking for a stereo system, haven't looked very far actually. The only item i've got so far are the speaker cables :D Which are QED XT-400 by the way. But i've been looking at the Denon PMA-1500AE amp, and some Canton Vento speakers. Any pointers you can throw at me? My main music preference is metal, meaning alot of double kicking bass drums.

Thanks in advance ...

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9213

It's tough to build a system around speaker cables.

ReykjavikIceland

Post Number: 2
Perhaps, but i got those cables very very cheap and they came higly recommended.
But i'm very interested in that Denon amp, anyone have one? Any speaker tips ?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4329
AK, if you give us an idea of your budget, and what is available there, we will help.
Iceland? Dude, you are the first poster from there, I think.

ReykjavikIceland

Post Number: 3
Hi, thanks for replying, my budget is rougly 3-4000 euros.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4341
3-4k...thats a lot.
What is available there, and how close is a dealer?
Really intrigued about the whole Iceland thing, BTW.

ReykjavikIceland

Post Number: 4
Sorry for the late reply, been quite busy. Iceland has most of the bigger hi-fi dealers, marantz, denon, nad and so on. Most speaker dealers except for B&w sadly. But i actually bought that Denon amp i spoke of erlier, PMA-1500AE and im quite happy with it. Currently im looking at speakers, so far Dali and Monitor Audio speakers have cought my eye. Suggestions and recommendations are most welcome :-)

Username: Gnuyork

Marietta, GA USA

Post Number: 1
I must say I am very interested in visiting Iceland as well.

I am also new to the HiFi worls - been peeping on these forums for a while and this is my first post.

My auditioning is very limited, but I have heard some Metallica through Monitor Audio silver RS6 and then compared that to the Gold (GS?) 60s... and both sounded excellent, but there was no contest as to which was better. At alomst 4 times the price, the Gold 60s and Metallica were quite an impressive combination.

The Monitor Audios also had a very nice look to them and the real wood veneers were done very nicely. I especially liked the rosenut finish.

The dealer did not have the RS8 in stock for me to try, but he said they were not far off from the gold 60s (both speakers have the same size drivers) at less than half the cost of the Gold 60s. He also said that with the the gold 60s and the RS8s that you cann almost get away with those speakers wiothout a subwoofer for home theater. After hearing the Golds I wouldn't argue that thought, but I would really like to hear the RS8 and compare them directly with ther RS6s, since at this point I am not willing to spend the money on the golds.

I have read that NAD and Monitor Audio go well together. I have also heard some NAD at a different dealer but they did not have Monitor Audio, but did have Tannoy Eyeris which I also liked very much.

Good luck in your search... Metallica sounds amaxing through the Monitor Audio...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us