One channel crackles and cuts in and out when I adjust the volume

Username: Wasserman12

Post Number: 6
I just bought a Luxman R 115 for what I think was a steal. However, when I adjust the volume, the right channel crackles and cuts in and out. It can always be restored to proper function by a little wiggling. Any Thoughts on how to fix this?

Gold Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 1303
Eugene I had a similar problem with an Older Rotel (16 years). I took it to the shop where they essentially opened the top and then used wd40 on the volume knob (take out the knob). This helped a lot. Although once in a while I still hear the crack, it happens a lot less frequently than before.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9214

I wouldn't use WD-40, though the diagnosis is correct. The VC's contacts have oxidized and it isn't tracking properly. Buy a spray can of Pro Gold and clean all the connections and controls. You can pick this up at Radio Shack, I believe, or just stick Pro Gold in a search engine to find a dealer. Don't overdo it on the spray. Use just enough to get rid of the noise and oxidation. Use a Q-Tip dampened with Pro Gold to clean the connectors on the back of the amp. A problem of older amplifiers is the nickel in the connections will constantly oxidize and you'll have to repeat this cleaing about once a year.

Bronze Member
Username: Manc

Post Number: 14
Jan,

Is it not better to use Deoxit instead of (or before) Pro Gold as that is specifically for removing oxidisation?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4335
Either treatment is on the right path. So long as the cleaner willies along the shaft and into the pot, then sweep the pot clean. I might suggest a straight alcohol contact cleaner to mop up, then any other compound of your choice.
As Jan said, repeat annualy(spring cleaning).
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us