Rebuttal to all the "Denon is bright "comments

Silver Member
Username: Riches1

Atlanta, GA US

Post Number: 228
Denon is bright relative to what? A tube amp? OK.

But in regards to other recievers I don't hear it.

I recently heard an NAD 720 amp hooked up to PSB Silveri's and it was too soft for my taste. Where was the resolution?

I didn't think that my Denon 3805 was bright with Axiom M22ti's and I don't hear it with Paradigm Reference Studio 20's.

And neither have these folks:

Denon receivers share a common characteristic of warm, approachable sound, and the AVR-2803 is no exception.
The midrange was fluid and engaging, bass was deep and rich with tonality and an impressive lack of bloating or boom, and the upper frequencies were well controlled,
The AVR-2803 gave it that same warm, musical sound that I've heard it produce through other Denon receivers up the line. --Home Theater Magazine

Most noticeable about the 2803 when listening to audio CD's was its smoothness and warmth. ---Audio Enz

AVR1803) follows a warmth and midrange roundness -- middle path, with voicing that offers a touch of bass ---Sound and Vision

Denon AVR-1804's richly balanced sound - CNET

Warm toned and luscious, the 2802..-CNET

Denon receivers share a common characteristic of warm, approachable sound, and the AVR-2803 is no exception. - Home Theater Magazine

With CD's was its smoothness and warmth. This receiver was very strong in the mid range...-AudioEnz

AVR-2803 is just richer-sounding than most receivers. This is an audiophile-grade receiver, and we love it.
the AVR-2805 is nothing if not consistent. It had a polite, midrange-oriented character-Perfect Vision---CNET

Voices had a magnificent neutral tone, high notes sounded bright, but not overdone and there were times during music playback I had to check if my sub was off, bass reproduction was that good... Sound reproduction for music is remarkable, -Audio Enz

the fairly ordinary sounding 3803 has turned into something quite special in the new model... The main improvements however are in the main audio chain, and can be heard as a smoother and more transparent sound quality... the most impressive sounding stereo or analogue multi-channel amplifier yet at this price point. -- Audiofile

There was no harshness or edginess ... stunning clarity and fullness from a receiver -- Sound and Vision

The 3806's voicing was similar to that of Denon's earlier 2805, strongly mid range oriented, infused with rich textures and possessed of slightly darker overall personality. Treble was lightly rolled off. ---AV Guide

Its sound was on the smoother side and had a lightly rolled off top end, so if you are sick of brightness in your system, ear-bleeding due to harsh-sounding CDs or DVDs, or general fatigue, then this receiver might be a great solution for you. -Audiophile Audition

The Denon's overall sonic character leaned slightly to the cooler side of neutral. The evenness of the Denon's tonal spectrum coupled to its pinpoint imaging served it well on one of the most immersive and submersive 5.1 channel discs to date, Blue Crush. ---The Perfect Vison

Gold Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 1094
Who cares? Edster922 already proved Denon paid for all those reviews. lol

Silver Member
Username: Jethro

Lansing, Mi

Post Number: 119
and compared to what?

Silver Member

Atlanta, GA US

Post Number: 229
I still read and put "some" stock in reviews - despite what Ed says. Ed's not always right. :-)

These are just comments from the Hi Fi Rags that support my opinion about Denon, and the 3805 in particular.

I will be bi-amping the L/R Paradigm Studio 20's off the 3805 this weekend. I already have them bi-wired.

Silver Member

Atlanta, GA US

Post Number: 230
And I left out the audioholics.com stuff just so Ed wound't go off!

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 11329
I think that Denon is one of the better receivers out there, it just does not fit within my preferences.

Bronze Member
Username: Jaw

Post Number: 48
Can you? I know, you asked first.

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/receivers/1486/shootout-three-mid-price-av-rece ivers-page6.html

Silver Member
Username: Gamerdude

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 215
Bi-wire looks pretty sick

Bronze Member

Post Number: 49
Why bother; if one owns Dynaudio, like he should, you can't do, anyways.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 50
That red pencil didn't take too long.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4337
Like I said, Denon is decent.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3594
I agree with Berny that Denon makes a fine HT receiver, probably not my preference but certainly not bad. I also don't believe that they are bright (unless they are driving a difficult load).

Silver Member

Atlanta, GA US

Post Number: 231
I could not start a new thread on bi-amping the 3805, so I'll post this here for the time being:

I bi-amped Paradigm Studio 20's off the 3805 last night. The sound was slightly different from the bi-wire set up. Since the 20's have only broke in for a week, I'm not sure I can critically evaluate the difference at this time, but I think I prefer the sound of bi-wire vs. bi-amp- for now. Plus when you bi-amp, you can't use the auto set-up for the speaker calibration. I went back to bi-wire.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3597
The Studio 20's take quite a while to loosen up especially at the low end.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 51
FWIW on the S&V Review, the Yamaha remote does have "on-the-fly volume adjustments" for the individual 5.1 channels.

It is the "Level/Band" button on the center, far left. Just not a perfect world.

Go Tigers. Hard not to root for those guys.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4343
I root-a toot for anybody who beats the Yankees.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1691
As with many good receivers I find that the Denon sound changes depending on what it is paired with, and notably what cables are used. If using a 3805 with Dynaudios, then QED cable makes it sound bright, but Chord Co. cable keeps it neutral whereas Naim cable makes it a touch warm.

With Totems, even the Chord cable can make it sound bright.

All depends...

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member
Username: Bleustar

Pensacola, Florida

Post Number: 234
Of course, in the end we are talking about subtle characteristics of each brand. What is bright to one person is perfection to another. I prefer warm to neutral sound, some prefer cool or strident. What sounds good to you is what matters.

Listen to some warm and cool sounding receivers and decide what sounds the best to you. Make sure to match speakers correctly and then enjoy!

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1704
Nleustar,

My point was that you need to hear the elements together to understand whether the combination works to your satisfaction. It's not good enough to hear a receiver with one set of speakers and a different set of speakers with another receiver and expect your choice of combination to work together. If you do things this way, you're liable to build in too much warmth or too much brightness.

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member

Atlanta, GA US

Post Number: 233
Exactly, Frank. Different components in the audio chain, including source material impart their tonal qualities to the what comes out of the speaker. It's usually subtle for each component, but it is all additive.

Username: Dcor

Post Number: 5
I own the Denon 3806 with Paradigm Studio 20s v3. I am not too happy with the Denon's for music but am ok for HT. I recently auditioned using the same receiver paired with a NAD amp, and the sound was dramatically improved! I was considering selling the Denon for an Arcam or even a Rotel, but after listening to it paired with a NAD, I think this is the way to go for me. I will retain all the nice HT features of the Denon, and have the opportunity to have nicer sound (clearer, better imaging, warmer, livelier) by pairing with the NAD.. Just my comments.

Silver Member
Username: Jethro

Lansing, Mi

Post Number: 126
I just think the denon sounds too analytical and thin with music, the pre/pro section isn't enjoyable sounding to me either. That said, I don't think you will get clearer, better imaging, warmer, livlier when hooking a NAD up to the pre-outs on your denon. I think you will just get cleaner and "more" power that is still processed by your denon leaving the denon deficiencies apparent.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us