Need 3.1 for $1000

Username: Funkyone

Post Number: 2
Im sure your all sick of the can you reccomend for such amount, but i could use some help. I need 2 floorstandings a center and sub (not to worried aboud rear)for around 1000-1400. Mostly enjoy music Norah Jones, Sade, jazz but will throw in some tupac from time to time. Will use for video as well but music is main concern.

I have no great audio stores around me just best buy and circuit mostly like polk and jbl. I have been reading through the posts and could use some of your expertise. Thanks so much in advance.

Post Number: 3
Please excuse double post, dont know how to delete. Anyway forgot to mention have a harman Kardon 640. Thanks for your help.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 11258
Do you prefer tower or bookshelves?

Post Number: 4
I'm open to either really. Don't really need waf she is pretty cool lol.

Silver Member
Username: Riches1

Atlanta, GA US

Post Number: 224
Check Crutchfield.com for the Infinity Primus 360 Tower Speaker Closeout. They are a recommended budget component at Stereophile Magazine and a Recommended speaker from Sound and vision. You can get the whole 5.1 System within or under budget. Circuit city used to carry these. Lots of Bass, and from the same parent company that owns H/K.

Also check out the Monitor Audio Silver 6's at Saturday Audio. $1400 will get you the Silver 6 towers, a pair of S1's and a matching Cener channel speaker, but no sub.

DMC Electronics has the entire PBS Image series, that are factory blemished, for about 30% off list + shipping. Lots of recommendations from the audio rags. A well designed speaker.

You should be able to audition the PSB's and Infinity's somewhere not too far away. Those three towers/systems come immediately to mind based on your budget.

If you are talking about 1400 for just the fronts, well, that's another story. Maybe Polk LSI Towers at CC. They may have them. I had regular Polk Towers the RTI 8's - they were OK, if you have to buy from CC.

Berny knows his stuff; give his recommendations serious consideration.

Post Number: 5
Hey thanks Riches i will definitely check those out. You got me to thinking too, do you think it would be better to start with front and a sub or fronts and center (or try and get all) then get the rest later. My budget at this time is like 1400 max total. Again thanks so much for your input.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 4611
funky,

One word: ascendacoustics.com --- especially well suited for HK gear (they carry them on their website in fact) and equally adept at both HT and music use.

Get their 340SE center for sure, and the 340s for mains if you have a big room or the 170s for mains if it's medium/smallish. You should have plenty left over for a Hsu STF-2 or STF-3 subwoofer, also available on their website, and also equally good for both music and HT.

Google up Ascend and you will have a hard time finding *any* negative reviews.

Post Number: 6
Just checked out the ascend site and thats something i can handle price wise. I was looking at 340s for main and center and hsu stf2 for sub. To be honest i have never heard of them to date (newbie). Anyone else have an opinion on them. Thanks Ed i will do my googling on them. This forum is killer by the way, thanks again.

Post Number: 7
Here is what i have looked at so far:

Infinity Primus 360 front
Infinity PS10 sub
Infinity primus 25 center
$829 free shipping

PSB
Front: Image T55 649
Center: Image C60 329
Sub: Image Subsonic 5i 389
$1350 plus shipping

Ascend
CMT-340 SE mains
CMT-340 SE Center
Hsu STF-2
$1265 plus shipping

Could not find much out about Monitor series and pricing. All the infinity is on sale from crutchfield with free shipping. Any thoughts on these or others. Any other brands to check out. Good value good systems etc. Thanks again.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4284
Funk, I would look further into the Ascend stuff. The Hsu is a better sub, too!
For your listening tastes described, the solid mids should be worth consideration.

However, it is internet sales only, with a 30 day free spin.

Silver Member
Username: Riches1

Atlanta, GA US

Post Number: 225
Here's the link for the Monitor Audio Silver 6's:

www.saturdayaudio.com

If you go PSB, I would go for the PSB Subsonic 6i with any PSB speaker larger than the Image T45.

I would go with the Infinity 12" Sub with the 360's. Crutchfield is pretty liberal with their return policy. Their Customer service is great. I have never had a problem returning anything (2 sets of speakers, a DVD player, and a reciever within a 90 period. I just couldn't make up my mind!)

Contact Hsu seperately for the sub with any of those combinations.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 4614
Funky,

I know this sounds like a pain, but the best way to go would be to order a single pair of the 340s and take them into your local shops that have the PSBs and Infinitys for an AB direct listen. Like this guy here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=591331&page=1&pp=30

If you decide to keep the Ascends, you can then call them and still get the full package discounted pricing. Much better than shipping back an entire 5.1 setup.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us