Monitor Audio Speakers

Does anybody have an opinion on Monitor Audio Speakers? I haven't heard them yet and my company just became a dealer of them.

Anonymous
I have the 2nd rev of the Bronze Series (B2s and the Bronze Center). I'm very happy with them.

I got these for my first 5.1 system (paired up with a 10" Velodyne sub and Onkyo SR600 receiver) in December last year. In doing all the research by listening to all the speakers I could in this price (brands: polk, infinity, paradigm, bose, NHT, JBL, Acoustic Energy, etc), I thought the Bronze had great dispersion and the bass response was very good for a bookshelf--especially at the price point. The sound was very smooth and clear. There was no harsh highs, etc. Both movies and music sounded very good (I think music is more demanding on speakers so I'd go with a bunch of my own CDs to sample the sound--every type of music I have). Plus, the construction is very solid (not a real wood veneer, but at this price it is understandable). The speakers are video shielded. Although I don't do it, the speakers are biwireable.

All the "professional" reviews that I've also read about the Bronze series have liked them very much too.

The sub I heard from Monitor Audio was OK. I believe it was the ASW100, which is their least expensive. I can't remember how it compared to other Polk, Paradigm, etc subs, but I liked the Velodyne VLF-1012 better. I think the Velodyne is more tight and "musical" on its sound reproduction.

As for the Silver and Gold models, they are supposed to be better. But those are out of my price range. So I didn't bother auditioning those.

-C

Shoe
Miguel,

Two weeks ago I purchased the Monitor Audio Gold Reference 10's. I auditioned the Bronze, Silver, and Gold series. The Gold's are twice the price as Silvers but really do sound a lot better. The Silvers were rather up front.I was impressed with the range of sound compared to the size of these in the demo but they were kind of muddy right out of the box. They take a while to break in but sound great so far. They compared well to the Sonus Faber Concerto's but the Fabers were about 3-400 more. I must say the Sonus Fabers imaging was superior that anything else but in the end, I liked the construction and sound of the Monitor product. You may be able to get them on EBAY for a deal. I paid 1,350.00 which is really not much of a deal but I got impatient for someone to cough them up on EBAY or audiogon. My next purchase is a receiver and ironically, I think you helped me decide on that one a couple of days ago in another thread. Go listen to the monitors. Tweeters and Sound Advice should carry them.

Pontius
hey,
i bought the pair of bronze 4 (the floor standing speakers) and hooked them up with onkyo sr-500.

although i'm generally pleased, i think they do sound kinda flat for rock music. i dont know if it's the receiver or the speakers, but they do sound great for accurate, high tones (such as bjork, portishead), but they just dont deliver rock as well (pixies, RATM).

that's my two cents...

Anonymous
I recently bought a Monitor Silver Series system after listening to several others like Paradigm,Phase Tech etc. The Monitors are so clean and detailed yet have great bass also. They are very balanced unlike other British systems I have heard over the years that don"t have any bass to speak of. I had a Def Tech system before and loved it but the Monitors blew me away. Even if you can't afford them you should listen to the Gold 20. $3000 a pair and worth every penny!

G-Man
I bought 4 Monitor Audio Gold Reference 10's, the center channel and the F210 subwoofer. They set up an incredible soundstage, image great, sound unbelievable either at low volume or blasting away. People come over that have spent more than 10K on speakers and are simply blown away. I love using the G10's as the rear surrounds--I like the more direct sound, rather than the diffuse sound of specied surround speakers.

Hate to say it, but I like them a lot more than the PSB Gold Stratus speakers I have downstairs.

Owning the G10's is never having to say you're sorry :-)

I purchased the gold reference 20's about a year ago and was very pleased. After extensive listening I feel these speakers major in detail and build quality. They seem to sound rather thin in the upper frequencies-midbass,voice. Could be my Denon 2801. great bass def and speed. dynamics are exceleent but I feel they lack some warmth and musicality. I have a hard time getting lost in the music. They are superb for home theatre though. I considering selling and going with dynaudio contour 1.8 or audience 72. You can e-mail me if you have any questions.

Marc
I ordered a pair of Silver S8 last week, i still have to wait to get them, because the rosemah line was in backorder.

I haven't had the chance to listen to the gold series, but i was amazed by the detail of this guy. For that price there aren't a lot other speakers available that deliver that detail and power. There is a lot better out on the market, but you pay a lot more.
It is a good allrouder, it can handle a lot of different music styles.
In belgium they cost 1250€ per pair, i haven't found anything better for that price...

music man
I have the Gold 60 as main and the Gold 10 as my surround. Very happy with these speakers. Could pay a lot lot lot more for a little better sound, but in the end these are a fantatstic system.

Anonymous
I just got my Bronze 2's today from Sound Advice. $340 for the pair. I have about 4 hours break-in time already and the mid base is still very punchy. The tweeters are still harse but I suspect them to lay down as the break-in period ends. Very true and big sounding for their size. Can't wait to really crank them up!!

By the way, they are nominal 6 Ohms and I have an old school Nak Receiver 3 that puts out 37 watts into 8 Ohms BUT the dynamic power is 55 watts into 8 Ohms. So at 6 Ohms, my receiver is probably putting out around 65 watts per channel.

They are super looking speakers with grills off. The quality build is remarkable for this price point. My 10 year old Boston Acoustics were getting real tired so I bought these. I will update as the break-in goes to final.

Anonymous
I thinking of getting the new sr7400 online,

http://www.taxfreeelectronics.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&DID=11&Product_ID=892&CATID=4 (USD$699)

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/authorizedelectronics/marantzsr7400.html (USD$739)

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/bestprice-store/marantzsr7400.html (USD$759)

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/topsellers/marantzsr7400.html (USD$765)

anyone know where can I get better deal than the above link?
for speaker, where can I buy the Monitor B4, B2, BC and asw100 package online? 'sara internation. inc' do best for USD$1200+-

ss newbie
All,
Have any of you with the bronze series compared them with the Ascend CBM-170s?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us