Dynamic Range setting on NAD T163 pre-pro

Darren
Unregistered guest
I posted this question in the receiver section of this forum as well as it applies to them as well. Anyway, I own the Nad T163 pre-pro with the T973 amp and was wondering what dynamic range settings other people are choosing that have this pre-pro ( 25%, 50%, 75%, or 100% ). I tried listening to movies with it set at 100% but found it to be too dynamic to the point of almost hurting my ears by the end of the movie ( I like it loud ). After much tinkering I have settled on 75%, with speakers set to LARGE and sub crossover set to 60 htz. What are your thoughts?
Also, I know that I can adjust the dynamic range while watching a movie in DD, but is there a way to adjust the dynamic range when watching a movie in DTS with the NAD?
My speakers are Paradigm Reference studio v.2's.

Thanks for any input on this matter.

Username: Cristiano

Post Number: 2
I also have a T163 and T973 combo and with DTS you just can't adjust the dynamic range.
I have a big problem with T973 and I would like to know if you have the same.
Do you hear the ventilation sistem of the T973. I think that my T973 have some problems because I can listen it very louder.

Darren
Unregistered guest
The fans on my T973 are very quiet. The room has to be dead silent to hear them running. For me it is not a concern at all. If it is as loud as you say it is I would take it back and have your dealer listen to it.

Gold Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 1015
Darren,

You have spent a lot of money on some really good stuff, much of the production cost of which went into getting the dynamic range the engineers and producers wanted to get into the source. You only get that with the setting "!00 %".

Anything less, and you could have saved a lot of money buying some cr*p in the first place. Assuming the listener is actually listening, the only advantage of lower DRC settings is if you want to hear everything over a lot of background noise. Car radios etc have dynamic range compression for this reason.

It is a complete puzzle to me why amps/receivers have this feature. "Late night listening" is the reason the makers often give. It seems truly bizarre.

DTS did right to over-ride that, in my opinion. If it's too loud, just turn down the volume control. "Just say 'No!' to compression!"
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us