Can I use HDMI or not with my future receiver?

Username: Jeffbucks

Post Number: 2
Hi guys, I own an epson TW600 projector which has HDMI port and I'm gonna upgrade my receiver to a denon 3806 or 2807. are HDMI ports on these receivers real? Some people say I need adaptors for 3806 which I don't understand why!
So can I connect my projector through HDMI or should go with component cables, Is the difference really that big?if yes should I buy above denons or should I wait for future models? help!

Post Number: 3
Forgot to mention that I'm going to buy a blueray tech. dvd player and connect it through HDMI port to receiver that's why I'm concerned about receivers' having HDMI port. am I right?

Gold Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 1087
Get the blu-ray and connect it to receivers your looking at and to your projector. I personally am wary of HDMI tech. towards compatibility, version numbers, etc. I still haven't decided if blu-ray or HD-DVD is the way to go. I'd be cautious and make sure everything you want to buy works with each other.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1688
Jeff,

Your projector will limit the picture you will get from the BluRay machine. The BluRay can pump out 1080p whereas your projector can only output around 720p.

The HDMI connections are real, but they are HDMI 1.1, not 1.3. 1.3 is required for the High Definition content (1080p) as far as I know.

Regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member
Username: Tommyv

Rowlett, Texas

Post Number: 54
HDMI also supports much higher bandwith audio as compared to coax/optical. according to the official HDMI website 1.3 will be backwards compatable with all previous versions of HDMI.

Post Number: 5
Thanks guys for all your replies, frank if blueray accepts just 1080 so would you please explain me the link: http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6463_7-6462511-2.html?tag=arw

it says that blueray can also play 720p or I'm understanding it wrong.

Regards
JB

Username: Lorneth1

Post Number: 2
Unless you're concerned with True-HD sound, you can connect your blue-ray dvd directly through your tv via HDMI and that can put out the maximum resolution granted what your tv can produce. You'll just have to settle for fiber optic or coaxial for digital sound and this will be a separate connection. One will go directly from the bd player > tv and bd player > receiver.

Gold Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 1118
You can also use the 6 CH Direct output of the player to get True HD, Dolby Digital Plus and DTS HD from the player. The HDMI will be best, but from what I've read these new formats are an improvement and worth setting up for.

Which Blu-ray player are you looking at?

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1736
Jeff,

One of the biggest advantages of BluRay is that it can pump out a 1080p signal which is effectively 4 times the resolution of ordinary HD. This is beyond the spec for HDMI 1.1 as far as I know. As you say, BluRay can play 720p or 1080i too. Your current projector probably can't do 1080p yet, so you'll have to accept pumping out the 720p/1080i resolutions until such time as you have a display device that can cope with 1080p. So if you set your BD machine to the lower res, you'll be in business from a video point of view. The HDMI connections on the receivers should be able to cope with this.

However, when it comes to audio, Kenneth and Kano are also right. The default output of BD is either TrueHD or DTS-HD (can't remember which), neither of which can be decoded by your receiver. BD supports Dolby Digital and DTS although I'm not sure if this is a requirement for the new discs (sorry - not an expert). If they are not a requirement then you may have to either do what Kano says and use the analogue outputs of your BD machine or, if the machine supports it, use a downsampled to Dolby Digital or DTS-ES stream. (I believe they're meant to be able to downsample the HD audio to DTS-ES, but I could be wrong.)

Sorry about being so vague!

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member
Username: Jethro

Lansing, Mi

Post Number: 128
If you plan on buying a 1080P set in the near future, you can pass the 1080P signal from the BD machine through the hdmi on the denon 2807 (yes, version 1.1) to the new set and display 1080P. Also, if you have the BD player you can use its internal codecs to decode the truehd and pass through to the receiver via standard pcm for 5 channels.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us