NAD T753 S-Video/composite question

Unregistered guest
The 753 manual states that S-Video inputs are "transcoded" to composite video signals so that the signal is present at both the S-Video and composite "monitor out" jacks.

I was wondering if the opposite is also true. Are composite video inputs also "transcoded" such that a composite video input will be present at both the S-Video and composite "monitor out" jacks?

TC

Silver Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 939
TC,

That is how it works on my NAD T760. There is a whole S-video board inside to handle that.

Having said that, the advantage of S-video over composite video is noticeable, and I believe that is inherent in the way the signal is coded and tranmitted, not anything to do with receivers. Stick with S-video if you can.

Bronze Member
Username: Gatt767

Malta

Post Number: 56
No the NAD does not do Composite to Svideo. If you connect Comp to Svideo you will see a picture, but a sort of grid is displayed at the backround, which looks very annoying and makes the image sort of blurred. You must connect Svideo to svideo mon. out and comp. to comp monitor out!

Silver Member

Post Number: 944
Robert,

Thanks. Please note I specify the T760. I can confirm that the T760 manual is correct where it states:

Note that an S-Video signal from Video input 1
through 3 will also be available as a Video Composite
signal on Monitor out, if the corresponding source is
selected. The composite video input signals from
Video 1 to 5 (No. 5; yellow sockets) will also be available
as S-Video signal on the Monitor Out socket.

There may be differences between models. I cannot comment on the T753. But I think, first, TC should check the manual, then just try it. I should be interested to know if the T753 is different form the T760 in this respect. It would be surprising of NAD had dumped this useful feature of its receivers.

Unregistered guest
John:

Unfortunately the manual does not state whether a composite video is also converted to S-Video and hence my question.

Thanks for your input. Hopefully someone will have tried it with a T753.

TC

Silver Member

Post Number: 949
TC,

That is amazing. It is surely something most users will need to know. I think I have detected a decline in manual quality in my new NAD T533 player.

Re your original question: why not just try it.....?

Unregistered guest
John:

Cheaper to ask than to buy a cable. :-)

Any thoughts on my shielded speaker question on the speakers thread?

TC

Silver Member

Post Number: 953
TC,

I see. We will discuss the consultation fee at a later stage... Of course, I come here for advice aimed at saving money, too, so I suppose we are quits. I am still quite amazed the user manual does not answer your question. I know, I will send the invoice to NAD....

Re shielded speakers, I have no knowledge of any model that is available both with and without shielding. Thoughts: in itself, shielding can make no difference to the sound, surely? It might affect the mechanical properties of the speaker, of course, and then have some effect by those means.

Unregistered guest
Confirmed with NAD that the T753 does not up convert composite to S-Video.

TC

Gold Member

Post Number: 1055
Thanks, TC. That feature must have dropped out at some stage. Glad I've got an older model!

Unregistered guest
I am so very happy with my T753, that I am not disappointed at all.

This receiver is far superior, in features and stability, not sound, to the T752 I originally had.

I have now broken in my Studio 60 and 20's and the sound is very nice indeed.

Received my 57" Toshiba yesterday. Life is good, but expensive. :-)

TC

Gold Member

Post Number: 1070
57". Gulp. And you still wish to save the cost of a test cable...!
Also, EM shielding is required only for CRT, as I understand it. All the best!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us