New system recommendations

Username: Mbos430

Post Number: 1
I just moved into my first apartment on my own, and I'm finally ready to upgrade from my Aiwa mini-system that although it's held in there really well for 8 years isn't cuttin' it anymore. I was hoping you could help start me off with recommendations:

I'm looking to buy a receiver, 5 or 6 disk CD changer and a pair of floor speakers.

I listen mostly to singer-songwriters, folk, acoustic rock, and indie rock. I'm not interested in huge bass.

I live in a big open loft. It's about 600 sq ft with 12 foot high ceilings. Lots of wood and brick.

I'm not at all interested in home theatre, but I would definitely want to hook up my computer (for iTunes) and possibly a turntable.

I'm having trouble finding good info that doesn't focus on home theatre and huge bass. I also figured that the size of the room would be a factor, so that's why I beseech you for your advice. My budget is another issue. I could order Sony stuff from Best Buy for $500 or so, but my good sense tells me that spending a bit more may be worth it. I have no experience buying audio equipment, so any help would be great! I'll consider buying online, but I'm in Queens, NY if anyone knows a good local place.

Thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Gamerdude

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 190
Hardon Kardon 3840
and athenas f2.2

check thos out

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Silver Spring, MD United States

Post Number: 192
As far as local stores go, while I'm not local to you, I've found that online JR.com has provided good results in service, etc, and they do have a retail store in NYC.

I would definately second the HK receiver and Athena speakers that Kyle mentioned as well, although if you wanted to save a few bucks in the receiver department, the 3380 would still have enough power (80wpc vrs 120wpc isn't much of a difference in the real world).

Some other speakers to check out would be the Polk RTi 8 or Monitor 60, Paradigm Monitor 5/7, Klipsch RB-61, and B&W 602 among others.

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 191
Stephen is irght is money is problem get the 3380 and with klipsch would be nice i have never heard polk

Stephen we joined at the same time:-)

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Silver Spring, MD United States

Post Number: 193
Fun stuff; pretty close post count too!

Ohh and as far as a CD changer, Marantz makes a pretty good one at a reasonable price; I use an HK DVD player as my source currently and have no issues with it, so I would imagine their changer wouldn't be half bad either.

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 193
Good luck Marc all of the things above will sound great

and if you dont want the Athena f2.2 there the f1.1 with only one eight inch instead of two

Username: Mbos430

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the tips! I'm definitely going to visit the J&R store in Manhattan.

Does anybody know anything about restoring old speakers? I have an old pair laying around. The label on the back says they were originally worth $700/pair, but I can't find anything online about the model or even the brand. I'm curious if they're worth trying to salvage. Here's the info on the label.

Model: Vivid Thunder Series TX-440
Woofer: 10"
Midrange: 5"
Horn: 3.5"
115 Watts Max
28-22000Hz Frequency Response
2000 & 5000Hz Crossover frequency
8 ohm Impedance

I used to live in Toronto. Maybe it's a Canadian brand. I bought them at a garage sale for $40 for my old kitchen and have never hooked them up to anything more than a really crappy mini-system.

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 194
www.partsexpress.com

They have a "tech talk they will help you

GOod luck
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us