NAD C162/C272 Speaker match?

Bronze Member
Username: Musicrover

Rosville, Ca

Post Number: 27
NAD C162/C272 Speaker match?

Music Hall 25.2 cd player
Music Hall MMF5 turntable

Music Aor , Classic rock , jazz, Power rock.

Ideas?

Bronze Member
Username: Hoanghai2k

Melbourne, VIC Australia

Post Number: 17
paradism studio siries, Polk, B&W
good luck

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4271
Kef IQ7.
Revel Concerto.

Bronze Member

Rosville, Ca

Post Number: 28
Does anyone have feedback on the Dynaudio Audience 42 bookshelf speaker with my system?

Silver Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 893
The Dyn's should be good. The NAD combo has plenty of power to drive them - they are 4ohm impedence I think. I have the same combo with the C542 CDP and I'm really happy with my B&W602S3's - that doesn't mean I don't think I can do better - I just can't afford to do better just yet. But in the end, it's not what someone here recommends, the choice has got to be good to your ears.

Bronze Member

Rosville, Ca

Post Number: 29
Will the combo I have run speakers with 4ohms?

I am looking at B&W 602S3, Emerald LE provided by www.audioc.com., Dynaudio Audience 42. I currently have the Alegria Emma speakers and am probably one of the few people who find them a bit unsatisfying. I know speakers are a "hear for yourself proposition" however, I wanted to get some opinions on how well the the speakers listed would do with my NAD C162 preamp and the NAD C272 amplifier? Or if anyone had any additional insights?

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Silver Spring, MD United States

Post Number: 190
I guess the first question that pops into my head is what were you not satisfied with in Emmas performance? A number of people here have heard them at least, so with that point of reference, we might be able to guide you to something that you might like a bit better.

"Will the combo I have run speakers with 4ohms? "
Unfortunately the nominal impedance of a speaker isn't enough to determine whether your NAD can handle it or not. Your combo is respectable, and should be able to handle all but the most difficult of speakers, but it is a wise idea to ask the dealer if it can handle the speakers in question.

Bronze Member

Rosville, Ca

Post Number: 30
Well, Hmmm... my fist impression is the bass can be boomy at times. I do have them on stands and have tried moving them around. The vocals come through well however guitars are not as crisp and or as forward as I would like. At times the highs can be a bit harsh. The mid range seems to get a bit muddled if for instance the vocals are in a higher register the same time a guitar player is in a lead break and the drummer is crashing cymbals. I have played all types of cds, albums, and tapes. This may sound crazy but some of my cdr's come across very nicely. I do tend to listen to music on the moderately loud side. Perhaps it's my music collection cd player, turntable, ect..? Not sure.

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Silver Spring, MD United States

Post Number: 191
My first thought would be the Klipsch Reference line, as it would particularly suit your power rock; they are also known for being fairly crisp/forward, although some do complain of them being bright. With your NAD equipment, this would largely be balanced out. If you could get a demo of them being driven by NAD gear, I would suggest that as being one possible option.

Another solid option to look into would be the NHT Classic Three. While its been a while since I've listened to NHT's lineup, their bass is both deep and relatively clean (probably a benefit of their acoustic suspension design).

Bronze Member

Rosville, Ca

Post Number: 31
Since the last post I have changed the height of the speaker stands I was using to about 23". I have done a little less twisting of the volume knob, It has made a difference the bass is not as boomy, The mid range is better. I did also auditioned a few other speakers. The B&W 602 (a bit to relaxed for me) and the Paradigm studio 20's. I must say I really did like the Paradigm's.

On another note my NAD system and Music hall cd player are new. I have read numerous times that equipment does need some burn in time to achieve maximum performance. Is this true? Will I really hear the difference?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4288
Rover, you will hear a difference, especially if you keep the volume down.

If in the future you must Rock'it, the Revel's I quoted earlier are a solid consideration.
Check out the Kef iq7's also.

Silver Member
Username: Unbridled_id

ChicagoUsa

Post Number: 179
I own the c272 and use polk lsi-9's with it. That vifa xt-25 tweeter is smooooth and the speakers sound warm and detailed with the NAD amp.
I too am interested in the NHT 3's, also consider the onix rocket 250's.

Bronze Member

Rosville, Ca

Post Number: 33
Nuck, Revel Concerto F12's ?

Username: Spg65

Post Number: 1
What about the Quad 11L or 12L? Are these a good match with those Nad combo?

thanks

Bronze Member

Rosville, Ca

Post Number: 35
Hello,
I auditioned the Revel F12's a few days ago and although I was able to press them hard I was left a bit unsatisfied as far as there overall performance. The sales jackO didn't' help the process. I brought several cd's that I know. Some recorded real well others not so good. I wanted to listen to music that I would well, listen to. The salesperson was perplexed when I told him that I was not that impressed with the bass response of the speakers nor the depth of the speaker. His response was that I should listen to a Boz Scaggs cd that really highlighted what the speaker could do. My question is if it's not doing it for me with cd's I play regularly how is this going to somehow be better for me overall?

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1490
Exactly. Forget about "reference" music and use your most listened to music. Bring a good variety of your favorites. Who cares what other cd's sound like if you'll never listen to them. If you're favorite/most played cd's sound the way you want them to, that's the speaker for you. If they don't, move on.

Bronze Member

Rosville, Ca

Post Number: 36
Does anyone have some feedback on a pair of Vandersteen 2 Ce Signature and how they might fit my system?

Username: Rttr

McPherson, KS USA

Post Number: 10
I run 162, 272, and 542 on Klispch and find them just a tad bit bright, upgrading to B&W 805S's in the near future. B&W is what I demoed the NAD on at the dealer, pure audio bliss.

Silver Member
Username: Daniel_canada

Canada

Post Number: 194
Hey Kevin!!!

I have the same 162/272 combo and I have the Monitor Audio RS8s. Nice combo, I listened to the Kef Iq7s also. I prefered the RS8s "presentation" over the Kef's

Listen to a pair if possible.

BTW, wtf is "Power Rock"?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4472
Loud guitar driven music with recognizable notes, chords and lyrics.

Triumph is(was) a power rock trio.Rush, too.

Bronze Member

Rosville, Ca

Post Number: 39
Power rock would be as described by Nuck. Rush and Triumph are good illustrations of that. Some others that come to mind that are more recent are Savatage, Masterplan. Symphony X. Some would say Progressive rock, for me it's the overall power of the music sensation that hits the core of your sole.

Bronze Member
Username: Rttr

McPherson, KS USA

Post Number: 12
Dan!!

That's a sweet combo dude.

Username: Basegraphic

Victoria Australia

Post Number: 1
Just a quick post that requires a simple answer.
I have B&W 604S3 and 602S3 and my first ever amp and CD player were both NAD. I have an AV Harman Kardon right now but it is really underpowered for the speakers. Would the NAD C162/C272 combo suit these speakers?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4535
Robt, scroll up to poster 'My Rantz' and view his profile. You will not need to ask twice.
The Nad combo is a proven quantity, well priced and as solid as a bus.

Oh, and he is a fine bloke as well.

Victoria Australia

Post Number: 2
Classic. Thanks Nuck. Much appreciated.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4536
Let us know how you make out, mate.

Victoria Australia

Post Number: 3
Well Nuck, I'm now doing alot of clicking online to find out more about the NAD combo. Essentially I just want to give these speakers the best opportunity to perform to what they are designed for. So many times, often due to ill advice, I have purchaced components that dont match up. I like music/sounds and dont have the time to watch movies. I just want to get it right (for the moment!) for music.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4537
Yeah, the advice dep't is right next to customer complaints.Sign says 'out to lunch, back in 45689hrs'.
Listening at home is really the only way, and even then, all the goodies should be well run for an honest assessment.
Which H/K do you have that is underperforming? I liked H/K when starting out, I find Rotel to be a similar performer to H/K, but on steroids.
Rotel and B&W are in bed together for a good few years. In fact, B&W North America call out Rotel for the 600 series, Classe for the 7 and 8's.

My kit is Classe.

But, Rotel is hard pressed to deliver like Nad does for the price.

Victoria Australia

Post Number: 4
This is the advice dept? Its a H/K AVR200 - old stock, n manual, but my NAD reciever, which was always playing up, got shelved and the H/K was a stop-gap replacement. (I cannot get it to power all 4 speakers and it does not have A+B speaker settings). Its interesting that Rotel and B&W are working together with the 600 series. I have had no history (or listening opportunities) with Rotel. Which amp suits?. I'm a sucker for the NAD look. I know, thats not real audiophile, is it...

Gold Member

Post Number: 4539
RGH, looks count for me, and I ain't no phile...enthusiest is better.
The Rotel range is a bit limited, but all work the same way. The Rotel line is also great to get pre-loved, I have a back-up rmb985 5 channel amp as a spare.

The line of pre-amps is a bit stiff, but the amps are great(IMHO).
The new line of digital amps has had a lot of buzz going.

http://www.rotel.com/products/specs/rb1092.htm

But they look like a ...Rotel. A bit industrial for some folks.

The pre-amp is this one

http://www.rotel.com/products/stereo-pre-amplifiers.htm

Again, minimalist, with a small tonal gain control.

I heard this combo with B&W 703's and it worked well. Spun James Taylor live and Rush 'moving pictures' and it worked as expected.
A bit thin on the mid's, good mid bass.
Typical B&W delivery.
I like the Rotel, but, again, not the prettiest girl on the block.

Victoria Australia

Post Number: 5
Hey, Rotel dont look too bad in the dark!? Your time and reference for my message is much appreciated. Having Rotel and NAD referred to suit the B&W's gives me a target to aim for. I will report back. Regards and thanks.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4541
ya mon.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us