AV Rcvr that superimposes info over TV video (HDMI)?

Username: Rkruz

Post Number: 6
I called Woncall and asked their experts if any of their AV receivers superimposed the basic receiver information on top of the currently watched TV video. Info Like volume, or the type of digital decoding thats used, basically any front panel info. This with a 1080p TV that accepts HDMI.

They said that all of the recievers only show setup info with OSD and dont provide for the superimposed info like a volume bar. They carry all the major lines like Pioneer Elite, Denon, Harmon Kardon, Onkyo, Marantz.

Anyone have knowledge or experience otherwise to point me in a direction to find such a receiver.?

I understand the complex setup stuff needing the complete display. I would think some things could be superimposed like volume level, what input it being used, what decoding is being used etc. Stuff that you might want to see quickly while viewing a movie.

Any tips to point me towards a AV Reciever like that would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 1084
The Harman Kardon AVR7300 will pass the on screen volume and menu through component as well as the ability to pass S-Video and composite inputs through the component output. If HD signals can go through this unit or if it can do on screen displays in HD I am not sure.

The newer models (x45) have HDMI switching, but the documentation doesn't discuss on screen controls, the user manual may discuss but for some reason it kept crashing my comp.

So far in my experience with HD it is unlikely the next few models of receivers will support on screen functions through HDMI or in HD - there are already many compadibility issues, likely this feature would create more.

Username: Rkruz

Post Number: 7
thank you. Im afraid your right. It will be a while before that is a common place feature Im afraid. If superimpose doesnet work via 1080I then its not for me as of course the Picture quality takes presedense.

The next level would be a dedicated display that could be accessed by selected the receiver S-Video input to the TV. Thats how my Pioneer 1016 work but even then the info it only for setup and very crude looking at best.

At least they could bring the onscreen interface into the 21st century. Reminds me of 1970s DOS.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us