What speakers are recommended with an NAD 763 or 773

Username: Staffsheezy

Post Number: 1
I'm going to be purchasing an NAD 763 or 773 fairly soon and was wondering what speakers people recomment. I was going to be using B&Ws with the NAD but it maybe there are better speakers to consider. The setup needs to be such that the fronts are bookshelf speakers hanging from the ceiling and the surrounds are in ceiling speakers. The space is extremely open, no walls (a lot of windows) and the homeowners don't want freestanding speakers (save for the sub). Any recommendations would be great!-

Bronze Member
Username: Jonmoon

Post Number: 49
Perhaps think about the Magnepans or Martin Logan Frescos (costlier but definitely can hang on the ceiling). I have heard NAD T763 with the Fresco and I think it sparkles. I don't know if the Magnepans can hang on the ceiling.

Post Number: 2
I've considered the Magnepans but they just won't work in the space. I'll take a look at the Martin Logan Frescos though. Thanks!

rmihai
Unregistered guest
Green Moountain Audio Europa. By far the best for money.

Good luck

Bronze Member

Post Number: 50
rmihai: what is this, some kind of cult? I've seen those words before. Do you guys work for Green Mountain Audio? There are lots of good speakers. Glad you have heard them all and know exactly what the best is for the money. However, G Stafford said that he needed for speakers to hang off the ceiling. My view of the Green Mountain Audio Europa (from the website)is that they would look pretty bad hanging off the ceiling plus they are pretty heavy at 45lbs. The Frescos which are nice speakers, are made to hang from walls or ceilings.

Post Number: 3
Gotta go with Jonathan on the Green Mountain speakers. I'm not going to hang something like that off a ceiling. Do the Frescos require a power supply?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 51
G Stafford: Here is a review of a couple of hanging type arrangements including the Fresco.

www.soundandvisionmag.com/article.asp?print_page=yion_id=3&article_id=544&page_number=4&preview=

Sorry it did not make the entire line hypertext. It will take you to Sound & Vision do a search for Fresco and then go to Speaker, Speaker on the Wall for the article/reviews.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 52
The Frescos are not electrostatic, they are ATF and do not need a power supply.

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 553
G Stafford:

As this space is somewhat open, you need a pair of bookshelfs for the fronts and "in-ceilings" for the rear, I am going to recommend something very different. Since you have not specified a budget, I have two alternatives.

1. The Less Expensive Solution: Monitor Audio has come out with a new line of custom in-wall and in-ceiling speakers that are EXTREMELY GOOD. The thing that makes them so good is that they have back-boxes built in, so it is just like a regular speaker, except the box portion is inside the wall or ceiling. They offer three levels of speakers, just like their regular lines of speakers: Gold, Silver, and Bronze (the Bronze line is often recognized as a budget level champion by many audio reviewers). The biggest difference between the two is that the in walls are typical "plate" type arrangement with a tweeter mounted above the mid/woofer, and the in ceiling is round with the two speakers in a co-axial alignment. Either one has an integrated back box (OK, so the in ceiling is more of a back can) that gives the speaker a reliable frequency response that is so often unpredictable due to the variable amount of space behind the wall. I would use the in-ceilings for your rears and then get the matching front bookshelf speakers (since you apparently intend to suspend them from the ceiling). So if you decide the budget allows the Silvers, I would suggest the S2 fronts and the Silver CP In-Ceilings for the rears as they will be voice matched. If the budget only allows the Bronze, get the B2s for the fronts and the Bronze CP In-Ceilings for the rear. Naturally, you would get the appropriate center speaker to fill out the system.

2. The Slightly More Expensive Solution: Paradigm Studio 20s for the fronts along with Paradigm SA-10Rs for the rear in-celing speakers, and a Studio ADP-470 center speaker. Very nice with the NAD electronics and the finish on the Studio 20s will wow any customer you have.

I hope this helps.

LJR
Unregistered guest
Hawk:
Could you tell me more about the Paradigm's?

Post Number: 4
Thanks for the information on the Paradigms. I'll take a look at those. They are in the range. Although now I'm considering the Arcam AVR300 over the NAD. A little more expensive but looks pretty nice.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us