Someone please tell me about these speakers

Bronze Member
Username: Jayosa

Post Number: 76
hi there im possibly intrested in getting there speakers 'Polk Audio SDA SurroundBar ' just to get away from all the wiring and space taking from my current athena 5.1 setup ...i was wondering how good this polk bar is ..sure i understand its not gonna be as good as a real 5.1 setup.but if its close in sound than thats good enough for me..i guess i want to know how good the sound quality is of the polk..would they sound as good or better then my athena ...im using a HK avr 330 reciever..p;ease help

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 11161
Only you can determine the sound quality, anyone can make a claim that one is better than the other but only you can tell for sure.

Try it first and then see if it is close enough. Personally, the "surround bar" gimmick just do not do a good enough set-up for me. You can get the same effect by placing your surround speakers right on top of your front speakers and set it louder.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 77
im not expecting a full surround sound out of them..if it gives me decent surround then thats good enough for me .but mainly im wondering about sound quality ..my athena sound good so i want something thats gonna sound as good or better..and also the polk bar saves space..so if someone has heard these polks please tell me what you thought of the sound.....i dont have raealy the time to go to the store to audition so im counting on peoples opinion on here

Gold Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 1103
Sometimes I wonder if two very good mains would be just as satisfactory as 5 - 7 speakers if one was not interested in how "cool" it is to have sound coming from behind you.
Mini-line arrays perhaps?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4250
Tim, lately I have been checking the speaker dealers, and there really seems to be a good deal of interest in 2 mains doing stereo and movies. I think people are getting tired of wires and channels, some people anyhow(me too).
Although line arrays would serve the movie crowd quite well, I am not so sure that regular folk would go for the array, size, price and appearance wise.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 78
well for me im tired of the wires ..this is why im intrested in the polk bar...but do they sound good like for music...would i get good sound from them ...

Gold Member

Post Number: 4251
Jay, at first blush, I have my doubts.
Would your room entertain all the sound from wide dispersion fronts? Where would the sound go?

How will a sub blend into the single array's?
How high(or low) would you mount these speakers?

More Q thean A, I'm afraid.

Gold Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 1104
I also have my doubts about the concept. I can't see how it could measure up to a good stereo pair. You may be interested in reading an opinion here:
http://reviews.cnet.com/Polk_Audio_SurroundBar_black/4514-6467_7-31556128.html
Steve also reviewed the Yamaha version.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4252
It just don't seem right...

Gold Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 1105
The one thing that sticks out in my mind is how recordings are mastered. Perhaps if someone were mixing with a similar setup I would feel different.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 4604
I heard a $1500 Yamaha "sound bar" at Tweeter a few months ago. It wasn't bad, clear and loud, but no "surround" effects whatsoever and for music it was just very "so what?"

You can get a very decent 5.1 setup for that kind of dough, but hey if wires bother you more than mediocre SQ it might just be your ticket.

Gold Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 1086
http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/products/rm7400t/

If you want stylish check out the above at half the cost, I find these soundbars overpriced for what you get, it's not like they include amplification, in fact it is intended to be hooked up to 5 channels of an amplifier, which would cost more than buying a 2 channel receiver.

Silver Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 891
One can only get 5.1 with a 5.1 speaker set-up. The imitators do not work (as far as I've heard). While I enjoy both 5.1 and stereo for music, I cannot see how even a high end pair speakers can compare to a decent 5.1 set up for surround movies for one to appreciate the benefits. Yes, so many flicks are overdone in this area, but there are also many where the surround FX really add to the atmosphere. I also think one would get tired of all the wires if one was changing components or speakers on a regular (or should I say irregular) basis. That's my 20 bucks worth seeing as how that'd be about 2 cents worth by the time this is posted.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us