Dynaudio Audience 82?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4249
Any opinions on these tall speakers?
Rock(mostly), but need some presence on lower tracks, including acoustic guitar and piano.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3578
I have no experience with them...are you looking at a good buy?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4255
Perhaps, so, Art. Lemme dig up the ad...

Gold Member

Post Number: 4256
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/38610-dynaudio_audience_82/

At least they are in the country!

Gold Member

Post Number: 4257
http://www.dynaudiousa.com/products/audience/82/aud82.htm

Manufacturers site here.

Silver Member
Username: Ravbains

MelbourneAustralia

Post Number: 282
Dude!!!!

for your setup, I would not recommend anything more lowly than the Dyn Contour range!!!!

ciao
Rav

Gold Member

Post Number: 4303
Rav, do you have any idea how ferkin EXPENSIVE the Dyn's are here?
I mean 6000Nuck bucks for the contour 140(?)(avec stands).

My dealer guy has the whole line-up, but even he cannot justify the price.
I mean, yeah, they are good, but car-price-good?
I dunno...

Gold Member

Post Number: 4304
I am yet to find the Revel Concerto's to listen to...Dude, I be cash poor(for obvious reasons:-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 4305
I wanna hear more from Mike on the Gallo 3.1's.
Or anybody else with the Gallo's

Silver Member
Username: Ravbains

MelbourneAustralia

Post Number: 284
Hi Nuck,

wow, I had not realised that Dyn's were so expensive in your locale. OK, I see your point.

I am not familiar with the market in Canada, does your dealer recommend any speakers, from the locally made manufacturers? Since I guess these will represent better VFM.

cheers
Rav

Gold Member

Post Number: 4319
Hi Rav. I am not shopping right now(being broke and all) that was just a market exposure moment.

I wonder if I could start a thread on speaker pricing in various markets?

I shall...

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1689
FWIW, I really like the 82s. Lots of fun, beautiful midrange thanks to their dedicated midrange driver, big bass (that's you Nuck ;) ), decent treble. Not much wrong with them at all in my opinion. A bit more flexible than the 140s in some ways. In fact, I might even prefer them to the 140s mainly because of their midrange drive unit. They are large, so they need space around them.

They didn't sell particularly well in the UK, partly (mostly?) because they really aren't small speakers and we live in small dwellings generally. And those who live in large dwellings can afford better of course! They retailed for £1500 or so.

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4339
Thank you for your input Frank.
Actually my listening space is rather smallish, unless I turn the room around, then it is quite longish.
I like the look of thee Dyn's to be sure, and I thing the Classe will drive them quite well.
Shipping is a monster of course, but I want something with PRESENTATION, and these Dyn's may fit the bill nicely.
Thanks again, sorry for the late response.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4340
And BTW Frank, when you say decent treble, are these lacking? I need the treble(high tone hearng loss). Would change parts be applicable to the 82's?

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1692
Nuck

Although 'decent' is a good standard, they're not as good as the 140s in the treble. After all, the 140s have a better tweeter and a simpler crossover with better components. however, the 140 doesn't have that all-important midrange drive unit and for me this makes a very big difference in the most sensitive portion of the hearing range for humans. They certainly have a lot of presence.

Physically, they also have a lot of presence since they're not small. You really need a minimum of 3m from your seating position for them to make sense I think. Then again you don't necessarily want close sidewalls since you then get a lot of reflections which are really damaging.

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1388
If you could sacrfice a little bit of bass and considering your isnt very wide,Nuck I agree with Frank the Focus 140s are better,infact I like the Focus line better than the Contour line,which sound a bit boxy to me and for their price is totally unexceptable, infact the same quality is passed along to the Audiance line.And one more thing Nuck make sure you have plenty of power all the Dyns love juice,even the little 42s.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4354
I have read some other stuff and get about the same impressions up and down the line. The 82's need a lot of space, and others get a bit boxy.
I will call the dealer(has the whole line) and see about a home demo on Contour and Focus.
I want to try ProAc 220 as well.
The Classe is about 400x2 at lower impedence, rated 200x2 at8ohm.
Should be enough, I hope.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us