What speaker combines best of paradigm studio and MA silver?

Bronze Member
Username: Bigfan

Post Number: 29
after listening to a number of speakers, and reading the helpful posts on this board, i THINK i have it narrowed down to 2 systems. the fronts are coming down to paradigm studio 60s or monitor audio silver 6 or 8. (i know that's technically 3 but let's count the MA's as one); with the center and surrounds to match whichever fronts i go with.

my question is: is there a speaker out there that combines the best attributes of these 2 brands? specifically: i love the detail and clarity of the studios. but sometimes they sound a bit too polite and meek. i love the punch, bass, and "big" sound of the MAs, but they don't seem to have the same clarity as the studios, especially when multiple instruments are playing. i reailze a subwoofer could take care of the bass, but i'm not sure if and when i'll add that. more importantly, i think it's more than the bass i'm hearing w/the MA's, but also the fact that they have a more forward and "muscular" sound (a great analogy by hawk was that MA's are like front row while Studios are like further back in the concert hall). ideally i'd like a front row type of sound, along with clarity and soundstage - all in the price range of these speakers (too much to ask?). FYI, my room is about 25'Lx12'Wx8'H (playing across the short dimension); i listen to predominantly rock (everything from new alternative bands back to the 1960s, w/most things in between), and some movies. i'm leaning towards an nad 773 or 763 receiver, but that choice will follow from the speaker decision and thus could change. any speaker suggestions are greatly appreciated. perhaps KEF or Dali Suite series?

Bronze Member
Username: Robertinchico

Post Number: 57
In my notes of auditioning the MA 6 - I remarked that detail was sufficient, but bass rolled off quickly, impact was good, cabinets were solid but the upgrades over Bronze and price increase were due mostly to costly cabinets. The mid-priced KEF speakers are a little weird sounding these days. The monitor 8's are more $$ than the studio 60's. If you like the 60's attributes, maybe you should audition them with some UPGRADED cables. The NAD receiver(s) you have in mind will work quite well.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us