Found a NAD 3140, now to get it working...

Username: Archangel62

AdelaideAustralia

Post Number: 1
First I'd like to say hey to everyone on here, as a new member whos never posted before. I've searched though, and done abit of reading and have a few questions. Thanks in advance for any relpies!

I found - yes, found - a NAD 3140 amp on the side of the road, as well as a NAD tape deck, NAD radio reciever and NEC stereo 5-band EQ. The radio reciever and the EQ work, and I don't really care about the tape deck, but I really want to get this amp going.

Because it doesn't seem to have been treated well (one impact mark on the case, and left outside before I picked it up) I'm not really surprsied, but it doesn't work. Here's what happens:

When I turn it on, the red "power" light does not illuminate, but I've heard this is a "protection mode" light anyway. Is this true?

It registers a very low power bump on the VUs when turned on, as I would imagine is normal. A very soft hiss comes through the selected speakers, again very normal amp noises. However, no input comes through. This is through either tape input, aux or tuner in, including leaning the selector one way and the other, jiggling controls etc to try to identify crummy connections. Not ruling this out though.

I've tried all speaker outs etc. The amp hiss doesn't regulate with volume control... And here's what gets me:

**When I put on S.L.C, the light only lights up for a fraction of a second and fades to off just as the VU power blip does.**

Have checked fuses, they're all ok, and no caps appear domed or blown.

Any help much appreciated,
-Eli

Silver Member
Username: Gamerdude

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 189
Maybe take it to a repair shop or electric repair shop

Good luck and nice find

Username: Gary_galvin

Denver, Colorado USA

Post Number: 2
eli, I have a Nad 3140...make sure you run the pre outs to the main in (not Lab)..this tripped me up when i first hooked up this unit
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us