Alegria Emma speakers

Bronze Member
Username: Musicrover

Rosville, Ca

Post Number: 19
Hello,
I currently have the Alegria Emma speakers. I am looking for a SS amp or an integrated tube amp that will provide some real pop! My budget is $1500.00. I have a turntable so I need to include a preamp and or the unit needs phono jack and would need to be include in my budget. System is for music only. Collection is mostly rock LP's (Montrose/Sammy Hagar) and CD's guitar driven jazz (Larry Carlton) and blues (Gary Moore) Progressive power rock (Rush, Cloudscape). Ideas, Suggestions?

Current system

Speakers
Cd player
Turntable
Tape deck

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4225
Rover, you do get around.
If you stick with one thread where everyone can focus, we will all find you.
Promise.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3568
Agreed.

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Silver Spring, MD United States

Post Number: 179
Good morning there Rover,

I'm currently in a similar situation as yourself. While I currently have a stereo receiver that gets the job done, I'm looking for something that will drive Emma to her full potential. For me, I've narrowed it down to two options:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=PARC2250&product_name=25 0-Watt%20THX%20Ultra2%20Certified%20Two-Channel%20Amplifier

Using that as a power amp and retaining my HK3380 as a preamp (which does feature a phono input and can be found for 199), it should provide lots of pop.

My other option is the Outlaw Audio stereo receiver, which features bass mgmt on board, and will allow the addition of a subwoofer a little more easily (particularly for me, since I already invested a decent amount in speaker wire which would effectively be garbage if I connect with speaker level inputs). At 699, it also leaves a decent amount open for a pretty good sub which would take a lot of load off the Emmas; combined with the receivers solid 100wpc, it will be more than enough to get the job done.

Bronze Member

Rosville, Ca

Post Number: 23
Hello Stephen,
I have been looking into the outlaw as well and it has some nice features including a phono stage which I need. Have you visited their site? Last time I looked they were only taking backorders? I guess they have a real mess-up with a manufacture. My concerns with this unit are if it had enough ummph! To give Emma all she needs and the music quality.

I have also been looking into a tube amp as well. Have you used any in the past? You can see the tread under integrated amps (Jolida 302 for rock).

Silver Member

Post Number: 180
Yeah its still backordered unfortunately. As far as ummph goes, it depends upon how much you want really, and whether or not you are willing to add a seperate subwoofer (unfortunately I don't know if Tim makes the Tom subwoofer any longer as it would go nicely in a music system). Currently I'm using an HK stereo receiver rated for 80wpc and I'm finding that I hear a lot of strain at higher volumes (-5dB or so). Now as I see it, while the Outlaw receiver is of superior quality (Stereophile loved it, among others) and marginally higher power, it isn't going to offer much more in the way of headroom (the Emma isn't the easiest to drive not because of impedance issues, but because of its efficiency). Now with a good sealed subwoofer added (ahem Tim), this would take a lot of strain of the receiver and speakers, allowing for a lot more punch.

As far as tube amps go, I've only ever experienced them with fairly high efficiency horn loaded speakers. I imagine they would sound great with Emma (I think Tim has used them in the past with her), but being the volume junkie that I am, I don't think it would suit my tastes.

Gold Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 1095
Pushing speakers hard can often result in more difficult impedance shifts for amplifiers, especially tubes. Some of the more expensive tube amps are able to handle these dynamics fine. Solid state amps typically do a good job of handling the impedance but many mainstream and/or budget SS amps sound "thin". For loud music with large dynamics playing on speakers with average sensitivity a well designed solid state amp may be the better option and adding a sub with bass management circuitry to the Emmas has the potential for creating a formidable system.

Silver Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 479
Tim,

What is your favorite set-up for the Emmas & Lings for stereo music listening? Amp? Source? Cables (If you think they matter much)?

Also, have you had the chance to listen to the FR125Ss in Tom Zs PAWO cabinets?

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1468
Rover,

Naim Nait 5i. $1425 retail.
Creek and Rega also make gear that does rock pretty well, but IMO not as good as Naim.

Also, what are your sources? You list types, but no brands/models. Some people would argue that the source is the most important part of the system.

I have no idea how the Nait or the others would match up with the Emmas though, as I've never heard the Emmas before. Everything I've heard about the Emmas has been great though.

Gold Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 1096
It depends on what I'm in the mood for. I like my EL-34 tube amp for it's smooth, warm sound but when I want to crank it up I switch to my DC coupled solid state amp. I'm thinking of trying a tube preamp with the SS amp and see what that produces.
In my room the Lings need a sub, the Emmas are usually fine alone although I have to admit when I want the extremely huge sound I go for one of my three way speakers.
I use a Sony SACD for my source, all my cables are DIY.
Yes, I heard the PAWO. I prefer the sound of my Aria design.

Bronze Member

Rosville, Ca

Post Number: 24
Ok Tim I hear what you are saying. I was intrigued with a tube amp after reading reviews about tweaking the units and customizing the sound to fit your needs. I seem to be set off a little with most reviews only because the music used in their test drive is mostly Classical, Folk and the like. As you mentioned a well designed SS may be the best way to go when all is said and done. I wanted to open myself up to all options and get past the manufactures pushed at box stores. So, That's why I thought I would try this forum and pan for gold if you will and see what nuggets are out their that I may have never known existed.

Looking for suggestions.

Thanks,

Gold Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 1097
Side note:
Often the biggest challenge for my desire to listen to rock music is finding recordings that sound good. I'm constantly disappointed with songs that could sound great but don't.
I'm not looking for a response (there's another thread on this topic) just noting that you can have an excellent system, put on "Rock Candy" and wonder what went wrong.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 480
Tim, I think Bob Dylan recently had something to say about the lack of quality recordings, so I think your in good company.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 481
Tim,

Have you encountered any difficulties getting your speakers reviewed either online or in print? Is their "pay-o-la", or something like it, when trying to get a product reviewed?

Gold Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 1098
I think it has more to do with being "heard above the fray". There's about a million-gajillion audio products out there and once you get a professional reviewer's attention it can take up to a year for them to get around to writing a review. The big name guys tend to give priority to the big name products. I don't think it's "pay-o-la" directly but if the readership sees a hot new product with a name they recognize on the cover of a magazine they're more likely to buy a copy. Unless you have $100,000+ to spend it's a very long process to break into the biz.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 483
Tim,

That leads me to my next question.

How is the state of Alegria Audio? How hard has it been to establish & sustain your company? What are your short term & long term plans? Any new speakers on the horizon?

Bronze Member

Rosville, Ca

Post Number: 25
I guess I would have to ask you Tim since you built them. How well would the Naim Nait 5i and or a Jolida 502 drive Mrs. Emma? Of course knowing this is not a recommendation of one over the other.

Gold Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 1099
Either amp would work fine. For my personal listening habits I would use the Jolida with the Emmas just because I wouldn't push them real hard and I like the warmer tube sound with the planar tweeter.
The speaker company is holding it's own. I'm pleased with my current speaker offerings so there are no immediate plans to introduce new designs. I'm always playing with stuff so who knows?

Silver Member

Post Number: 183
Tim: Will Tom make a triumphant return ever? What about Myra?

Gold Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 1100
I'm having trouble with driver sourcing for Tom. Until that is resolved I'm not accepting orders for it.
Myra is still being refined. I'm not quite satisfied with it yet.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 485
Tim,

Probably a silly question, but did you build your EL-34 tube amp? On the outside chance you didn't, which is it? And since I'm not up to the task of a DIY amp, can you recomend one? Have seen the tube amps (and other stuff) sold on eBay by 18audioguy http://stores.ebay.com/eAudioguy-Online-Store ?

Gold Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 1101
Got it from Hong Kong.
Playing it safe I usually say to buy from someone that's at least on the same continent. Buying from 18audioguy is ok, I doubt he'll disappear with your money but keep in mind he's in China. You get a great deal but if there's a problem with the amp your recourse is to ship it back to Hong Kong ($300 round trip) or have someone local look at it ($200+).
Jolida, PrimaLuna, Genesis, Ming Da, etc., are all good amps and are mostly based on widely used circuit designs that have been around for decades.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 486
Points well taken.

I know you are fond of a certain Sansui AU-710 Amp, well I recently picked this pristene Kenwood KR-6600 (circa 1980) out of the garbage. It's identical to this http://members.aol.com/KDresch/kR-6600.html . I have to say, I haven't decided what to do with it yet, but I've tested it, it's beautiful, and I'm going to keep it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 186
Well heres hoping Tom makes a comeback. Whenever I dig up the cash to make further improvements to my system, its definately on the list of things to do.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 487
I think I posted a dead link (can't figure it out???), here's a pic.

Upload

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1473
Tim -

Sorry to back track a bit but...
"Side note:
Often the biggest challenge for my desire to listen to rock music is finding recordings that sound good. I'm constantly disappointed with songs that could sound great but don't.
I'm not looking for a response (there's another thread on this topic) just noting that you can have an excellent system, put on "Rock Candy" and wonder what went wrong."

I just got a couple of classic rock new reissue LP's, and the ones I've listened to so far are phenominal. I'll post them in the refenence quality music thread after I've had a chance to hear most of them. All bought new from Music Direct.

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Lewisville, Tx USA

Post Number: 192
Stu, Since I added my Linn LP12 I think most LPs sound like they should be on the Reference Quality Music thread. Inagoddavida by Iron Butterfly was like I never heard it before. Then it occurred to me that I never had equipment like this to play those old favorites on before. :-)

Silver Member
Username: Twebbz

Oakland Park, Florida USA

Post Number: 441
By the way, "Rock Candy" and the rest of the first MONTROSE Lp was a good recording, better than many of the time. Crank up "I Got The Fire" from the second album and tell me THAT is a poor recording!

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 531
Found this write-up on Alegria Audio on the web, thought some might be interested. I hadn't seen it before. Nice pics of Myrna.

http://audiosociety.org/audioletter/AudioletterMay2006.pdf

Gold Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 1109
Actually that's more about Dan at Adire. I was invited to show off Dan's drivers in my speakers. Dan also used Myra at the last CES show in his demo room.
Dan's Muse design ($6k/pr.) has been sold to 6 recording studios in various cities around the country. Primarily he works as a engineer/consultant for electronics manufacturers, audio manufacturers and even art museums. He recently consulted on a project by a major software company located nearby here ;-). Adire rarely produces products themselves anymore.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 532
Tim, those pics of Myrna are really nice. Is that a stock finish on those cabinets? Is that same finish available on the Emma? If so, you should (if you don't mind me saying) show it off, it's quite beautiful.

Silver Member

Post Number: 209
I know that finish from somewhere...and yes, it is quite nice.

Gold Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 1110
I did have some cabinets made in walnut. I thought it was beautiful but it was such a slow mover I didn't have any more made.

Silver Member

Post Number: 210
I'm kind of surprised that it didn't move, but I can understand why black ash would outsell it.

Gold Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 1111
Like white tube socks, goes with everything.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 534
Yeah, I remember those walnut cabinets on the Lings. Any chance of a run of Rosewood Emmas?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us