On the search for a Hifi-subwoofer - what do you think of these?

Username: Cybervision_

Post Number: 9
I'm currently looking for a sub to complement my setup below 35 hz. I want a more "fullrange" sound as I feel I could have lower response on some tracks than what I have today. My setup is a pair of Focal 1007`s and an Atoll IN100 amp with preout.

My candidates are as follows:
- Rel (Quake?)
- Martin Logan Dynamo?
- Focal sub?
- Others???

What I want in a sub is musicality, good, flat repsonse from 20-50 hz. It must also be fairly small and able to blend with my standmounts. I do not play at insane levelse, but it must be able to put out descent soundlevels as well.

I`m especially interested in info about the ML Dynamo.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 11114
Try SVS and HSU subs.

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Google is your Friend, FL

Post Number: 6285
hey berny, are those 2 brands like the best bang for your buck?

i see them mentioned a LOT, so i figured they were.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11116
So far, yes they are.

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1935
SVS and Hsu aren't small, are they?

And... what's the budget?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11121
The HSU STF-1 is relatively small.

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1937
But he wants to fill-in below 35 Hz... That means a bigger sub from Hsu than the STF-1.

He might be looking for a sealed sub as well.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11131
That is going to be quite a feat. I believe the budget is in the vicinity of the REL and Martin Logan subs.

Silver Member
Username: Davidpa

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 227
velodyne DD12, DD15, or DD18. Aerial Acoustics SW12. Paradigm Servo 15. All very nice and worth looking into. I think the DD series is the best of the bunch, but the Aerial is a very close second. Wont find much better IMO, but they are not cheap either, the Paradigm would be the cheapest bet.

Silver Member

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 228
Also, budget may have to change, as Berny subtely suggested.

Post Number: 10
I understand. Well, the price-range of the Martin Logan Dynamo is as high as I can go for the time being. I think the Dynamo looks real good as it is said to pack a lot of bass into a small box. And hopefully it can play deep, loud and controlled.

The REL`s also look good, but are they any good. They seem to be small, with small drivers and moderate amps...

Silver Member

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 235
www.nhthifi.com
better than what your looking at IMO.

Silver Member

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 236
AudiogoN ForSale: Martin logan Dynamo
maybe this is still available? If thats the route you go?

Silver Member

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 237
http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/srch_fs.pl?Martin+Logan

this link might help.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Today another candidate has appeared onto the stage: SVS SB-12/Plus. Looks like a champ spec-wise. What do you think?

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9215
Let's just get that last name off the boards.

Bronze Member
Username: Mortal_one

Canada

Post Number: 50
What "last name" are you referring to?
What happened, what did I miss? Did you insult someone again Jan? Was someone's fragile ego not able to take the mighty abuse of Jan?

In reference to the "OP" (I like the abbr.) I think the choices he mentioned first are more in the direction he is looking for. Having listen to a Rel Quake the other day, for a cheap sub you will be hard pressed to find a quicker more accurate sub (lack of extension and fundamentals). I suspect the quake would not be enough for you but perhaps the Stampede? I have heard the NHT subs and the old ones are beasts that can shake a building and when positioned properly are quite nice, the new ones are easier to place but are not worth the money. The SVS's are wonderful but will drag behind your mains, the HSU will be closer but will still be a little slow, unless carefully positioned. The best option would be a focal sub with the same style of driver as your mains. I have not heard the new velodynes in a decent room yet, so I cannot comment but the reviews are good, but velodynes always get good reviews.
2 bits

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3608
JJ all of the subs you listed originally are very good. Better than what you can get from Hsu or SVS for music. The REL is a very good buy. Another good sub is the Era Design Sub 10. Good luck.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4392
JJ, a couple of factors here.
Price, yeah OK whatever. Response, How Low do you want to go? Movies, OK, T-Rex footfalls. But for the MUSIC, 30 is pretty good.
Speed. Following another thread, the speed of the sub may be the most important consideration.
REL and Era can keep up pace with very quick sound, perhaps stats, in fact.
The sealed REL is a hands up winner for music, the Velodynes I listened to(and bought the DM12) would not keep up, and is marginal.
I may trade it out for the real thing. REL or Era.

Silver Member

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 239
Hey Nuck, have you heard the DD series? And also, what is the DM12? I havent seen or heard em, even took a minute to try and find online? Only thing I come up with is the B @ W DM12.
Mortal One, good analysis on the NHT, although I would also add that they are a pretty musical sub. The newer lines dont seem to play as deep as the old models, (I still own SWi12, powered by SA2) but they do seem to be a little quicker which I think may have been the goal?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4393
Sorry David, it's a DPS12 unit. Never had a go at the DD, I should have.
Most of the 12's I tried were a bit slow and heavy, granted I shopped a box store(insert admonishment here).
Quicker is better, so long as the organ is not restricted. Go ahead and run with that one.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
A Focal sub was my first option, however, the Focal sub that complements my standmounts costs about 4200$ in my country, and that is way out of my league. I had enough trouble coughing up that much for my speakers. :-)

The Rel Stampede is a hot candidate, but something tells me that an 8 inch woofer might not deliver enough depth and slam according to my desires.

The SVS model I was referring to is a new model relasing this month (October). It a 14" Square sealed design with a 12" Woofer and it seems to have really well thought out design and performance. It is called SB12 Plus. Do not confuse it with the PB12 Plus.

Link: http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-box-sb12plus.cfm
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us