LETS PLAY MONOPOLY WITH 5-6K

Bronze Member
Username: Jeff21

Orem, Utah Usa

Post Number: 21
Ok guys this is all tentative, but I want to see what 7.1 system you guys might put together (speakers and sub only!) with a budget of 5-6k, these would be likely paired with the new Marantz sr8001.
I have the marantz sr5600 holding me over, but I'm moving to Dallas and have the possibility of buying a home with a 3500 cubic room for entertainment. ahh, yes, and this is going to be used almost purely for ht. also if you recommend an external amp, please list price. Thanks Guys.

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1927
This is way personal, but since you ask:

Klipschorns as mains, used, 2K to 2.5K

Klipsch (vertical) Cornwall, used, as center, figure about $600 if you can find one. Or, if room permits, Klipsch La scala as center for about the same.

2 pairs of Klipsch La Scala as surround, total of 2 to 2.5K. You could go much smaller and cheaper with Klipsch Heresy II, total $800.

Not too sure about the sub...

I expect this is useless information to you, but there you go. My 5.1 system is similar to the above and it rocks.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 4591
Jeff,

"Almost purely for HT" = you don't need to spend more than maybe $1500 for the whole getup.

Put the $3500-4500 you'll be saving into your travel budget...you'll know why after you've spent a few weeks in Dallas.

Bronze Member

Orem, Utah Usa

Post Number: 22
Edster,
you still havent told me what speakers you would use on a 7.1 setup, and if only $1500 are to be used on the speakers, would you spend any extra on an external amp to power maybe some bigger speakers? On another note, Im sure 3,500 could go fast with all the stuff there is to do in Dallas/Ft Worth. Just curious, have you been to Dallas? and If so where did You go?

Bronze Member

Orem, Utah Usa

Post Number: 23
Peter,
Nice system, Im sure you have fun with it. But is it even possible to get used klipschorns, maybe I havent looked nearly hard enough to warrant even trying to get my hands on a good used pair. I havent totally ruled out Klipsch, but is there anything new from klipsch that might be as good but still be in my price range, maybe age has no bearing on a well engineered speakers though???

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1928
Jeff,

Yes, there are used Klipschorns around. I got mine from an audiogon listing and they turn up on ebay as well as classifieds. They turn up on the Klipsch forum from time to time as well.

New Klipschorns would consume all of your budget and you still probably couldn't swing them. That's why I recommend used. Plus, they age rather well. No problems at all with any of the drivers. I spent around $100 in new caps to refresh the crossovers to original specs, and it made a huge difference in the top end in clarity. But that's all the maintenance you need to do, although they are a tweaker's delight, with lots of after-market tweaks for them. The Klipschorn and La Scala pull the disappearing act; when they play, it's like no sound comes from the speakers at all. Most instruments image very well, as if emanating from a spot in space in front of you. No need to close your eyes to force the illusion.

I don't known the new stuff as well as I should because the local Klipsch dealer only carries the entry models of the Reference line. I hear that the RF-83 are a smoother version of the RF-7, so that's something to look into. You certainly have more chance to find a dealer to audition them than Klipschorns.

I guess a minority of people that know both the heritage and the Reference series prefer the RF-7 and RF-83 to the Klipschorn, but that's likely a minority. The Klipschorn remains the flagship of the company until (and unless) they start making the Jubilee.

What I typically tell people who show an interest is to introduce yourself to the Klispch forum and ask if anyone in your area has a Klipschorn setup that you could listen to. I've auditioned my setup to a few people myself. I'm not suggesting that you buy a used pair without hearing them first, although that's precisely what I did. I had only heard them 25 years earlier, but I also own the La Scala, which is pretty close to the Klipschorn so I knew what I was getting into.

Bronze Member

Orem, Utah Usa

Post Number: 24
Thanks for the input, I am grateful that you spent the time to educate me a little more on klipsch, like I said, I havent look that hard but after your description, maybe that is something I will look in to. BTW local dealers here dont carry Klipschorns or anything higher than what you mentioned, maybe the klipsch forum is the way to go so I can hear a pair.

Thanks, Jeff

Silver Member
Username: Jethro

Lansing, Mi

Post Number: 102
klipsch;; efficient and sound clean and clear. Great for HT a receiver will power them well in most cases. Great dialogue and bass w/ HT. Must listen to for yourself. Klipschorns are big and efficient and great. I think they sound top notch (would prefer to any other setup i have ever heard in my entire life) with SOME music, but not across the board. But, this isn't practical for alot of applications.

My $6000 system if i were to buy it today would be this:
4 B&w 805's front and rear 1 HTM4s center
1 pb-12-ultra svs sub
good amplification would put me over that budget
so i would use my current amplification at first

Gold Member

Post Number: 4594
Jeff,

heh I just like to whale on Dallas since a couple of my siblings live there and every time I go visit them (Plano and Carrolton) I'm bored silly. I'm sure if my siblings were less square and lived closer to town it'd be a livelier place.

Anyways, if it were my money, in a 3500 cubic foot room for "almost purely HT" I would get:

1 pair CMT-340SEs fronts, 1 CMT-340SE center, 2 pairs CBM-170SEs for surrounds, $1454 shipped from ascendacoustics.com

Then I'd add a really monstrous HT sub like an SVS PB12/2:

http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-box-isd2.cfm

The Ascends are very easy to drive, you would not even need an external amp for HT and their neutrality will go very well with the warmth of the Marantz receiver. They are excellent for music too but especially for HT due to their incredible detail, clarity, and natural midrange (voices).

Gold Member

Post Number: 4595
PS. You can use this to find a local Ascend owner who'll let you come listen:

http://www.frappr.com/ascendacousticsowners

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 11033
An "external amp"?

Look at Outlaw Audio's mono blocks or the various multi channel power amps. You can use your Marantz as a pre-pro.

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/index.html

The model 7700 power amp is $2149

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1929
We're got one of those maps too:

http://www.frappr.com/klipschforum

Bronze Member

Orem, Utah Usa

Post Number: 25
Edster, Lol, Im sorry you havent been able to have that much fun there. I'm a huge sports fan as much as an audiophile, so I could see myself maybe going overboard spending money on sports events depending on the season.
btw Ive been salivating over the pb12/2 ultra for about 2 weeks now, would really love to to snatch one soon, will see what significant other says about spending 2k on just the sub?!

Bronze Member

Orem, Utah Usa

Post Number: 26
Thanks for the link Peter

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Silver Spring, MD United States

Post Number: 172
Jeff: For HT, the subwoofer is an extremely important component. Soundtracks can deliver quite a bit of low bass which takes a competent sub to deliver without buckling, and spending 2K on it alone wouldn't be a bad idea considering your total budget. You will note that it is a HUGE SOB however. For the rest, seven Klipsch RB-81s would run you ~2500 bucks. With the 500-1500 left, I would invest in room treatments.

Silver Member

Post Number: 173
Also for an external amp, the NAD T973 would be an excellent option, especially if you go w/ Klipsch.

Silver Member

Post Number: 174
Price is 2k btw.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4596
NAD's multichannel gear sounds great but seems to have a lot of QC issues, based on what I've read on these forums...especially a hum/hiss issue.

If you really plan to spend $2K on a sub I would make sure that you have enough left over for some room accoustic treatments, i.e. keep a tight rein over your speaker and receiver/amp budget.

Silver Member

Post Number: 175
I thought that issue was with their multi channel receivers, not their seperate amplifiers? Could be wrong.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4184
never anything but raves for the amps.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us