Looking for a music and movie reciever

Username: Icelax

Post Number: 1
I just bought a new HDTV and want to complete the system with a decent reciever and speakers. I am just starting to look but thought I would see if anyone had any advice or suggestions first. I don't really play many video games but do play a lot of music and DVD's. I was figuring that a decent receiver was gonna run me in the 4 or 500's, so you can use that as a starting point, but as always, don't mind cheaper. Would appreciate feedback on speakers that work well with the receiever too. I have been out of the loop for awhile on all the newer equipment and havent had a lot of time to research stuff yet. Thanks for the help!

Silver Member
Username: Noviceinstaller

Here, There

Post Number: 110
i have a yamaha system 4 sale....

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Silver Spring, MD United States

Post Number: 169
In that price bracket I would stick with Harman Kardon and Marantz. They tend to feature higher quality power supplies and components than their competitors.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 4592
JK,

do the $15 experiment: order a digital switching Panasonic sa-xr55 from jr.com for about $250 shipped. A lot of people have had very surprising experiences with this receiver:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=720754&page=1&pp=30

For the speakers, with the digital Pannys I would try the Onix XL-S system (av123.com).

Username: Icelax

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I think I am leaning towards the Onkyo TX-SR604 now though.

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 992
John:

The Onkyo is probably the worst receiver made for music and is barely adequate for HT. Onkyo is notorious for putting in lousy power supplies that are unable to produce anywhere near their so-called "rated" power, and, when driven, the sound becomes very strained. When I started out looking for a HT receiver, the first brand I got interested in was Onkyo, but after hearing it compared with several other brands, I would never even consider an Onkyo. However, if you are going to listen with very efficient speakers at very low to moderate sound levels, then it will probably do.

I can tell you what brands to avoid and which ones to consider in your price range, but a specific recommendation would require knowing

1. How large is your room?

2. What speakers are you looking at?

I would second the recommendation of Stephan to look at a marantz or Harman/Kardon, but would also add NAD to his short list.

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Silver Spring, MD United States

Post Number: 171
Not to criticize your choice John, but I wouldn't really go with Onkyo, particularly if you are a music lover. Having owned an Onkyo in the past, I would say they aren't the worst choice you can make. They do put out relatively clean sound, and are a step up from things like Sony, etc. However, I do find them to sound a bit thin on music; they also have a shoddy reputation (along with most mass market manufacturers) of overstating their power output. An HK AVR-340 (currently ~475 @ www.jr.com on the other hand will put out an honest 55wpc (Onkyos old flagship, the NR-901 put out an amazing 56wpc...for ~2 grand) and drive all but the most difficult of speaker loads (thanks to a true high current design/solid power supply). HK also regularly sells factory refurbished models on ebay (under the harmanaudio username) for further savings (still factory warranted).

Gold Member

Post Number: 4597
I have to agree with Stephen and Hawk on the UN-desierability of the Onkyo. My first AVR was an Onkyo 601, which I returned after 2 weeks for a Marantz which was an improvement that even my totally-uninterested-in-audio wife noticed. The Onkyo was certainly attractive looking, had tons of bells and whistles, and was very user friendly but its sound was just hollow, flat and lifeless especially with music.

I think this is indeed a result of cheesy power supplies, because Onkyo AVRs generally don't weigh much...the 604 comes in at only 21lbs compared to other similarly priced AVRs:

Pioneer 1016, 35lbs

HK 340, 30lbs

Denon 1907, 26lbs

Yamaha 5890, 33lbs

Marantz 5600, 29lbs

In the world of analog receivers and amps, the heavier ones are usually better due to bigger power supplies.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1678
Hmmm, but switched mode power supplies, which are becoming increasingly more common, do not usually have such heavy components. The thing that really gives weight in a typical amp is the transformer. A linear power supply has a much larger heavier transformer than that in a switched mode power supply.

The second heaviest thing is typically the heatsink since it's effectively a lump of metal used to draw heat away from the output devices which are attached to it. It's the big thing with fins usually. Class D amplifiers run very cool since they are so efficient. Class B run warm to the touch and Class A run HOT. The associated heatsinking has to be able to dissipate the heat appropriately, so a small heatsink - if any - will suffice for class D amps, and commensurately larger heatsinks are required for B and A classes.

So weight is largely a factor of the technology being used as much as anything else.

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4600
Frank,

but aren't those 5 AVRs and the Onkyo under discussion all the same Class type amps? I was not aware that any of those 6 had switched mode power supplies.

???

Bronze Member
Username: Jedi1

Post Number: 14
yes, i agreed with Hawk also.. actually i am Marantz fan. most of u guys talk about marantz or denon NAD etc... how about Yamaha.. RXV2500... ?????.. any comment of that one.. pls.... thank you... any RXV2500 user????.... but i still prefer SR7500....

Username: Cobra11

Post Number: 2
I have always been a NAD or Denon fan. The DENON AVR-1906 is a real solid performer and with optical inputs from your cable/sattelite HDTV box and DVD player and CD player, will be a wonderful AVR sound machine.

I have one hooked up to B&W DM302s (4) and a B&W subwoofer and two center channel (F and Surround Back). So in essence I have a 6.1 system and the 1906 makes the B&Ws sing and they even sound good at -40 db in late evening TV watching....

Bronze Member
Username: Steelhrd

Post Number: 40
I have the yammy 2500 and am quite pleased with it's sound. It takes a while to set it up for your room but once you get it there it's great.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us