Looking for subwoofer upgrade advice.

Username: Zuni

Post Number: 1
Hi folks, I'm looking for a bit of advice in regards to a subwoofer upgrade. Currently I have a set of PSB Image 5T's along with a PSB center channel, psb alpha mites (rear) and a psb subzero-i sub. I'm not satisified with the bass output of the subzero, and am considering an upgrade. I've been told that the subzero 5-i/6-i would be a better match the image 5t's.

Any opinions? or sugesstions? One thing i've thought about is just getting another subzero and placing it in another location in the room.

Btw, the amp driving it all is a NAD T-753

Bronze Member
Username: Divin11112000

Michigan

Post Number: 99
Jason,
Rumor is that it's difficult to locate two subs in a room. That would be the advice i can give you on that.
Are you not satisfied with the output for movies? for music? It's not loud enough or doesn't dig deep enough. What do you typically use the system for? that will probably be questions more informed sources will be looking for.

Post Number: 2
Hi Chris, I like to feel the bass and i can but its just barely there. Attached is a diagram of the room, and it's size. I'm not satisfied with the output for both, but more movies. I listen to music on it and watch a fair amount of movies.

Upload

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 988
The subzero is a fine subwoofer, but it has its limitations. Clearly, it is overmatched by the size room you have. I would guess that you may need to overdrive it in order to get the output you want, but that leads to serious distortion.

You did not give a budget, so I can only guess, but I would suggest either a 10" Hsu Research STF-2 ($399), or a 12" Outlaw LFM-1 ($579). Obviously, there are more choices as you go up in price, but these are both excellent subs and each is a great value, as well.

http://www.hsustore.com/stf2.html

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/lfm1.html

Also, putting your sub in the corner can be a bit problematic. I suggest you try moving it to the sidewall between your left main and left rear speaker. You won't get as much bass, but it will be cleaner sounding.

good luck!

Post Number: 3
I was thinking about a Subseries 5i from PSB, I really like their products. Thoughts?

Interesting about the corner placement, most frequently you read that this is where to put it but you are saying bring it up the left wall? I wish i could but there is a couch along that wall.

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 989
No question the Subseries 5i would be an improvment over the Subzero, but it is not as good a sub as the two I suggested. The Hsu designed subs (both the Hsu and the Outlaw) will go lower and are cleaner by a good margin. However, it is your money, so it is your opinion that counts.

I would, however, first try to move the sub out of the corner. Sub placement in the corner has the effect of reinforcing the sound from the sub, but it can also induce some distortion. Experimenting with sub placement is always a good idea, so that you can get the best sound from your system. The dimensions of your room does present some challenges; nevertheless, I would explore what might be done before I simply got a new sub. Can you move it to the other side of the couch, perhaps? Or to the other side of the TV?

Silver Member
Username: Rick_ross

Post Number: 525
forget about home subwoofers get a 15' kicker L7 and hook a car battery in your house and have it bump harder than any home sub

Post Number: 4
Hawk, I ended up going to the store i deal with and they let me take a 5i home for the night. Wow, what a difference. I ended up placing it right below the left rear speaker which is kind of where the end table sits between the couch against the wall, and the one that runs in front of the tv about 9 ' back. Sounds great. For kicks i left the subzero on up front beside the TV and it actually sounds good.

Post Number: 5
The HSU looks very nice, if a dealer existed here I would try it out. I'm leary about mail ordering something that expensive and dealing with returns etc.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4195
Jason, you need not worry about ordering online/returns. These guys have sold sold so many of these units that they do not care if it is returned. They do care why, and will ask you. If you say It isn't as good as you hoprd, they take it back. If you say it's not a nice colour, they will take it back, or get another colour or whatever.

BTW, I havn't seen anyone here or on other forums who have returned one. Except one guy who ordered 3 types of subs for an online test.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us