Multiple Speakers in Series ?

Username: Ttt2000

Post Number: 1
Hello --
Electronics Novice here --

I have Denon Integrated Amp with WAY more power than I can use with my two JBL L80T speakers in Good shape -- I have an Equalizer -

Sounds Great for what it is but I'd like more Bass. Subwoofer type sound.

I have two Lansing 10 Inch Sub type Speakers in individual 12X15X15 Cabinets.

I'd like to use more of the power available without damaging the L80T's and Get better Bass Sound. I've read some of the pages about Crossover Newtorks etc but havent found an Explination that does not start out over my Knowledge of Ohms - MHzs - Impedence etc.

Can I hook them up inline / series ? ( Amp to Sub Cabinet to Speaker ) -- All My Speakers and the Amp use Wire, not cables with ends --

Or am I way off base ? If I'm way off, what should I do to accomplish my goal?

Thanks for Reading -- any reply Appreciated.

Mac

Gold Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 1091
"Can I hook them up inline / series ?"

Can? - Yes
Should? - No. It'll sound terrible and you'll probably damage your amplifier.

"Or am I way off base ?"

Yes

"If I'm way off, what should I do to accomplish my goal?"

1. Use an amp or receiver that has a subwoofer out and built-in crossover. The subs will require their own amps in this configuation.

2. Use subwoofer amplifiers with built-in crossovers. Wire up your main speakers as satellites from the sub amps high level connectors.

3. Use an outboard electronic crossover.

If you notice, there is a common theme. You need crossovers on the subs. Using a passive crossover will require huge inductors and probably capacitors as well. Even then, it's going to be a challenge to blend them with your mains. You may want to step back and get yourself educated on basic speaker/crossover design before going that route. In any case, it's going to cost you some money. There is no way to do this correctly on the cheap.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4178
Psst...Mac.
Tim designs and builds speakers for a living.

Alegria audio
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us