Sansui Au 717

Username: Musicrover

Rosville, Ca

Post Number: 7
Hello,
I am in need of an owners manual for a Sansui AU 717. Thank you.

Username: Develara

Tennesse, Ny Us

Post Number: 2
check classicsansui.com u may find one.
dev

Silver Member
Username: Arande2

400dB could probably d..., 4000 isnt ev... 100,000dB FU...

Post Number: 290
He may be right...

Silver Member
Username: Arande2

400dB could probably d..., 4000 isnt ev... 100,000dB FU...

Post Number: 292
It's true...^^

Username: Howlan

Post Number: 1
Hello All,

I'm new and hope to get some help from anyone.here is what happen:I hook up AU-717 and other 150 WPC digital amp by speaker selector box(Monster Cable made)try to compare their performance by switching,it works fine if turn one off before turn another on. But disaster happen when forgot to turn first one off then both on at same time.digital amp remain okay but AU-717 is dead. I open the cover and found 4 each 7A /125V fuses are blown! Replace them with 7A/250V and blown again (4 fuses).I wonder the shortage happen on protector circuit or output transistors?where should I start with? Please help.

Howlan

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
hi howlan
its very sad that u have blow a very good amp , any ways .......i think the problem is in the power section , there is a power board just before transformers check that out , hope u will find some good technician to service the equipment.

dev.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
hi howlan
its very sad that u have blow a very good amp , any ways .......i think the problem is in the power section , there is a power board just before transformers check that out , hope u will find some good technician to service the equipment.

dev.

Post Number: 2
hi dev,

thank you so much for giving me the clue.I have schematics on hand,hope I might be able to repair it under your supervision.

howlan

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5669
Howard, all of your output devices are blown. That may be all, but possibly the drivers are toast as well.
Hit the electronics wholesaler nearest you.
And don't do that again(I know you won't).

Post Number: 3
Hello Nuck,When you said driver refer to which parts? I will never do it again.But I'm just wonder the fuses should provide sufficient protection to the circuits or components.why took only half second will cause this much damages?

Gold Member

Post Number: 5682
H, the damage happens quick like a bunny.

Bronze Member
Username: Leonski

Post Number: 21
Sounds like the output devices are shorted. They are the ones bolted to the heatsink.
In any event, take a smell. No kidding. When stuff fries, the smoke gets let out and it doesn't seem to work right, ever again. If you've ever fried some electronics, you know that odor.
Did anything happen to the other amp?

Post Number: 4
Hi leo, I did try to smell but no luck.nothing happen to the other Amp.could have better ckt protection

Post Number: 5
Hello Dev, leo and nuck,

I checked the power transistor(pull out from socket)2SA747 by ohm meter,they are not short and shows different ohmage on different pin. Turn power on with both channel power board unplug,no fuse blown!that narrows the problem to both channel's power board.good news at least.

Howlan

Gold Member

Post Number: 5790
Howlan, please check the devices again, with your meter on diode check.
If they all ring out the same, they could all be good OR bad.
I will reach and say that you should ring on just one combination of the 3 available in each polarity.

Post Number: 6
Hi Nuck, diode checked are good, but don't know how to check zener diode. And found TR13(2SB537) emiter are short to collector(ground) on both channel board. Is this BINGO? thanks for your help.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5792
Maybe. Was the board fully disconnected(isolated) for the TR13 check?

Post Number: 7
Yes, desolder TR 13 and pull out from the board.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5793
howlan, is the TR a PNP or NPN configuration?
It may be powered or switched under load.

I cannot troubleshoot from here without a meter.

Try this easy to use sight to determine the device.

http://www.101science.com/transistor.htm

Post Number: 8
It's PNP

Post Number: 9
Nuck,this is a great website,wish have known this earlier. I went to the store 20 miles from home and bought 2 ea substitute of 2SB537, but they sold me NTE292!should be NTE153 instead.No wonder 4 fuses still blown after I replace NTE292 on it.but this time it hold for about 10 seconds before blown and NTE292 doesn't show shortage between E and B.
I don't quite understand what does "switch under load" means? Thanks

Gold Member

Post Number: 5799
Depending on the function of the transistor, it will switch for different reasons. The E to B connection may be normally closed and switched on power up, or not. It may be switched at another time.
Isolating the board will remove the earth from the board, so as to measure componants without the ground reference.
As well, your testing seems to be going well, good for you!

Post Number: 10
Hi Nuck,
My AU717 finaly alive! replaced TR12 and TR13 on both channels, cost me $19.69 now is working like a champ. Thanks a lot for your help.
Howlan
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us