Pioneer VSX108 loses settings

Username: Squibb

Post Number: 1
I recently acquired a Pioneer VSX-108 receiver (a
European model, apparently, based on the plug and need for an adaptor). Every time I power it off, it loses settings: base, treble, radio presets, everything is set back to default or lost. It also typically powers on set to TV regardless of the input to which it was set when it was shut off. Additionally, on occasion, it won't power up properly, with the display characters scrambled and no functions working. Any ideas? Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1887
Every time I power it off, it loses settings

Is that using a large button? Is there a soft on/off switch, perhaps also using the remote, that doesn't do this?

My point is that this happens to be normal on (at least x25 series) harman/kardon receivers, so which be the way Pioneer works as well?

Post Number: 2
Yes, this is using the button on the receiver. According to the Pioneer knowledge base, you cannot use the remote to power on/off (even though the remote has a standby button) because it is mechanical. I've tried with no success, although other functions, such as volume, input, etc., work via the remote.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1890
Well, h/k receivers also have a soft standby button (as well as the same function on the remote) that you use to turn the unit off. Using the mechanical button will reset the system. It's annoying when babysitters and casual friends come over and "turn the system off" the wrong way, but that's the way it is. Maybe the Pioneer is the same...

Any Pioneer owners around?

Post Number: 3
Checked it out. No soft standby, just Power on/off. The standby button on the remote also won't put it in standby once it's turned on. And yes, when I turned it on this evening, everything I previously set was gone.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1891
Why would they label a button as "standby/on" if it didn't put it in standby.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.ca/pio/pe/images/portal/cit_3442/35795617vsx-108_r emote.jpg

Strange indeed.

Username: Creedcomm

Post Number: 1
I bought mine new many years ago and after a time it developed this same problem. It used to retain the settings when powered off. Now it never will. Have looked inside for a memory battery or similar things but no luck. ANY help would be appreciated!

Post Number: 4
Mine won't power on properly at all now. The display characters are scrambled and no functions work. I've considered getting another via ebay, but knowing that more than one has experienced these problems, I may look for something else.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us