Sunfire true sub and onkyo 803 bass management?

Username: Ryaneagon

Spokane, Wa Us

Post Number: 1
Question I have A sunfire true sub signature and an new onkyo 803 reciever my sunfire does not give me an option to bypass the low-end filter and my onkyo only lets me select 80,90,100,or 120, and cant bypass that either does that mean its going to be filted twice, and worsen sound what should I use my mains are klipsch and are set to full range center and rears are set to 70hz and right now my sub is at 60hz

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1885
How can the rears be set to 70 Hz if the receiver doesn't support that? Or did you mean that they are rated to 70 Hz?

Set the Onkyo to 80 Hz and set the filter on the sub to the highest value possible.

Spokane, Wa Us

Post Number: 2
sorry I meam 80hz

Spokane, Wa Us

Post Number: 3
sorry I meam 80hz for the rears

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1896
Then my advice holds:

Set the Onkyo bass managment frequency to 80 Hz and set the filter on the sub to the highest value possible (in order for it to not affect the sound it receives).

Which Klipsch models do you have?

Spokane, Wa Us

Post Number: 4
rf-5 5 mains full range rc-5 center 80hz rs-52 rears 80hz sunfire true sub signature, right now the crossover on the recievier for the sub is at 80hz and on the sub its at 65hz which sunfire says is a good starting point I have not had time to Experimen with it yet but thought about lowering the crossover even more on the sub because my mains frq extend down to about 38hz or so.

Spokane, Wa Us

Post Number: 5
sorry rc-7 for center

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1899
According to Klipsch web site:

RF-5 34Hz-20kHz ±3dB
RC-7 45Hz-20kHz ±3dB
RS-52 62Hz-23kHz +/-3dB

You say your mains are set to large, and center and surrounds are set to small/80 Hz, right?

If so, don't set your sub to 60 Hz, because you are creating a bass hole between 60 and 80. The receiver is sending that content to the sub and the sub is filtering it out. It would be better to let your receiver handle the bass managemant and set the sub to the highest frequency possible to keep it out of the way.

You might try setting the center to large as well. The RC-7 is quite a capable speaker.

Spokane, Wa Us

Post Number: 6
thanks for your help

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1901
Very sweet system by the way...

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1904
Your Onkyo allows you to set different frequency cutoffs for each speaker (40, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100, 120, 150, 200). You could also try setting the center to small/60 and even the mains as small/40 to experiment (see page 70 of your manual). Experiment!

Spokane, Wa Us

Post Number: 7
sweet thanks I tryed setting my mains to cut off at 40hz sounds good my onkyo also gives me the option to send low frq from the mains to the sub when the fronts all set to full range, but the only downside I have found to that is, when using a stereo source there is no output to the sub :-( and I dont really like the sub sound, (MUDDY) when fronts are output through it. so I think ill leave my mains at 40hz and my center 60 or 70 and my rearss at 80
another thing is that this sub sounds really muddy with the frq turned all the way up and cut off at 80hz from the reciever 60hz is where it starts to blend with everything, but like you said a big gap
if my rears and center at 80, but won't the reciever output those signals through the mains since they are at 40hz thanks again for all your help :-)

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1906
I haven't read your manual, so I'm not sure. But you set the filter frequency of the sub at 60 Hz on the sub itself, then there will be a gap. If the seeting is on the receiver, then perhaps not.

By all means, if you like the sub set no higher than 60 Hz, then set the mains to 40 and all others to 60.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us