Speaker suggestions for around $1000 or less

Username: Homerfudd

Post Number: 1
I'm looking for speakers to go with a stereo I'm setting up, and have a lot of trouble finding what I'm looking for with everything thats is out there. There are lots of comparisons between different brands, but I was hoping to get a broader idea of whats availible.

I'm looking mostly for something clear and punchy, prefereably with some power in the lows. Most of the reasonable speakers I've seen in the price range are bookshelves, and I miss the bass. I loved the new B&W CM1's when I heard them, but again the driver can't get enough power behind the lows. I'm assuming I'm going to need to pass on "bookshelf" designs, but I've definitely seen mid-sized speakers in the past that I wouldn't call floorstanding with a beefy driver in them, I'm also happy to look at a floorstanding as well.

Is there anything reasonable in the price range that isn't designed to pair with a sub? Maybe something along the lines of a 3-way with a 12" woofer?

Thanks for any suggestions, I'm open to anything, there's just not much availible locally that I can listen to!

Silver Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 837
Mike you don't necessarily need 12" woofers to get decent bass. If you like the B&W sound (like me) you could try the 602S3's (good low end for their size) or step up to the 603 floorstanders. Give them an audition and others also. I think these are within your price range in the US.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 4561
http://www.us.alegriaaudio.com/Emma.htm

On a frequency sweep CD in my 6000 cubic foot space it had output all the way down to 20Hz, believe it or not.

Post Number: 2
I had listened to the 602, though not the 603's at the same time as the CM1's, and was left with a similar impression. I certainly can't complain about their bass responce musically, but to my ears there is a big trade-off when using the smaller drivers down past 60-hz. I do like to turn up the bass on a metal or rock album, and while I agree the bass from the 602's was very solid, its not quite the same thing to my ears as a good 12-15" driver can provide, and most of the subs I've heard and liked are out of my pricerange.

The Emma certainly looks interesting. I'll have to look more into it.

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Silver Spring, MD United States

Post Number: 149
I would definately second the suggestion of the Emmas. However, I do have a few quick questions for you. What are you planning to use to power this system with? How large is your listening space? Is rock/heavy metal your primary listening preference?

The reason I ask is:
A: Emma likes power; lots of power.
B: Emma can go fairly loud, but it is a relatively inefficient speaker; you can't expect it to have the output of a speaker that is 10dB more efficient.

Currently I'm contemplating an upgrade to the Outlaw Audio stereo receiver (which includes bass management + a solid 100wpc) and a HSU subwoofer for a bit more volume capability as well as giving it a bit more ability to perform HT duty.

Post Number: 3
Right now its about 300sq. ft., I'm moving and it will definitely be getting smaller. Starting out it would be powered by a crown mt602 (next on the list to upgrade, the fact it was free makes it sound great) that certainly has no issues in terms of power.

I listen to a lot of jazz, folk, some classical etc, but this speaker is definitely aimed at rock.

Thanks for all the feedback so far!

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Silver Spring, MD United States

Post Number: 151
Well in any event, a couple floor speakers to consider are: Athena AS-F2, Klipsch RF-82, Paradigm Monitor 9, and Polk RTi 10. There are lots of others to choose from to be sure.

Bookshelves: Alegria Audio Emmas, Klipsch RB-81, Paradigm Monitor 5, Polk LSi 9. Again, lots of others to choose from, but this is a quick list.

Of the bookshelves, the Emmas definately have the edge as far as being relatively full range. However, depending upon how much you like to push the volume, you may or may not find them suitable. I listen to a decent amount of rock myself, and while I havn't had any major problems (they do get loud enough to drive me from the room), I do find that I can strain them w/ some particularly bass heavy material. Whether it is a limitation of my receiver or the absolute limits of the Emmas, I'm not sure, but it has given me the upgrade itch in any event. The Klipsch RB-81 will definately give you the most volume of any of these speakers, though it may not have quite the depth you are looking for. Fortunately, they should be fairly easy to find and audition. Both the Paradigm and the Polk are excellent speakers in their own right; again, both should be easy enough to find and audition. My personal preference was the Emmas (as I'm an owner, that should be obvious enough). Moreover, at their b-stock price of 499 a pair, it leaves a good bit of room for a new power source as well. A couple routes you could go for this would be the HK 3480/3380, an integrated amp from NAD/Rotel/etc, or the Outlaw stereo receiver. I am pleased with the Emma/HK combo in terms of overall sound quality, and given their cheap price, it is definately a route to consider.

As far as floorstanders go, I would give my nod to the Klipsch RF-82; however, a lot of people don't much care for the Klipsch sound (they can be a bit bright), so auditioning is a must. I threw in the Athena though as a value option. Again, it would leave significant room for a new power source.

Gold Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 1036
Mike,

Like Stephen and Ed, I was astounded by the quality sound and full range of the Emmas, especially given their size. I was comparing them to rebuilt Altec Lansing 3 ways with a 12" woofer. Although not as full range, the Emmas were incredibly good and the sound for most music was sweet. I'm not sure they would do heavy metal or hip hop to your satisfaction but I listened to some old Beatles, Elvis, and Cream recordings with no problems and excellent sound.

Stephen's other choices are have pros and cons and the ultimate test is your ears and your room, as you know. Good luck, Dave.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4129
Maybe toss in the Psb B25 for bookshelf/standers as well.

Good to see you again, Dave!

Post Number: 4
I got a chance to listen to the RF-81/82's and found the Paradigm 9's. The Klipsch were probably a little less defined than the other speaker's I've heard, but I love the horn sound in what I'm looking for and I really enjoyed listening to the 82's.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to hear the Emma's soon and make a comparison, they sound like what I'm looking for. Certainly not looking for something that would handle hip-hop bass (not really my thing,) more for something solid, not boomy, which drove me away from the subs in my price range.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

-Mike
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us