One vintage marantz and one 5.1 pioneer a/v reciever can i...

Username: Aid4hearing

Post Number: 8
I have a vintage Marantz Stereophonic Receiver model 2330BD, and wanted to hook it up to the same speakers that are currently hooked up for my home theater front right and front left speakers.(Infinity SM 125 tower speakers). I would like to do this for when I want to listen to music in stereo, and when the Infinity speakers are powered by my marantz, the sound is hi-fi heaven. I'm lacking space for an additional pair of speakers and want to avoid the hassle of diconnecting wires hooked up to Pioneer Av receiver..well you get the picture. I was just gonna twist an additional set of speaker wires with the existing ones at the speakers. So basically one set will go to the Pioneer AV receiver and the other to the Marantz stereo. But I get a bad feeling that by doing so, damage may occur either to my Infinity speakers, or either one of the stereo receivers. Is the wiring method I described ok? Is there anyway I can run the same two speakers off of two seperate components? (..At different times ofcourse.) I hope that wasn't too confusing, but I really hope someone can set my mind at ease and help out this audioslaving student with too much equipment and not enough space. Any "nice advice" would help. Thanx. :-)

Gold Member
Username: John_a

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4522
Yes, twisting the wires is a bad idea. For one thing, each amp will be trying to drive the other amp, in parallel with the speakers.

There are switch boxes that will allow you to select inputs to the speakers. An even safer and more secure method, convenient if you can easily reach the back of the speakers, is to unplug the unwanted speakers while the other are in use. Banana plugs are simple. You would still have to take care not to make contact between the exposed banana plugs and so short-circuit an amp output while the amp is switched on.

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1884
If your Pioneer avr has pre-outs for the main channels, you could route that feed to an input on the Marantz receiver and find the volume dial position on the Marantz that yields a calibrated sound level. Then when you play a movie, you select that input in the Marantz and put the volume control at the desired place.

The downside is that this position on the volume dial will be high, and you shouldn't forget that when you switch inputs on the Marantz.

Post Number: 9
i don't think you guys know exactly what i meant, just to make sure, i'll try re-explaining what i want to do. First, i am not using the marantz as my amp for the front right and front left of my "home theater" aspect. while i watch movies, the pioneer a/v receiver will always be powering the front and left channels(along with all the other 5.1 channels also) The only time i would like to have the infinity speakers powered by the Marantz, is when i am listening to music sources, like records tapes, cd's etc. the marantz sounds alot better for 2channel stereo listening than the pioneer 5.1 a/v receiver does, and yes, thats when the pioneer is switched to stereo. the two amplifiers would never be powered on at the same time. It will either be one or the other. So, would a set of speaker wires running from the pioneer and the marantz to the two infinity front speakers hooked into the speakers at all times create a problem.(and again, the two amps would never be on at the same time) so summary of my issue.
one pair of speakers, two different stereo components powering the same pair of speakers. for different applications at different times. but always wired together.
I hope i didn't lose anyone on this attempt. I understand what john and what peter is saying, but i'm not sure you guys understood my situation. much apppreciated none the less, does this new discription clarify more? Let me know, and thanks for everyone's patience.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1888
i don't think you guys know exactly what i meant,

I think I do.

i am not using the marantz as my amp for the front right and front left of my "home theater" aspect

I was suggesting that you could if your Pioneer has pre-outs for the main channels.

I understand what john and what peter is saying

I'm not sure that you do.

Does your receiver have pre-outs?

Post Number: 10
OK, this is the area in audio, where i need knowledge on. so bare with me. There isn't any connections on the back of my Pioneer that say pre-out like alot of my other pieces of equipment. When you say pre-out is that generally any output connection on a amplifier like rec out, or tape out? Cause if so i do have a tape in and rec out. Also, this may sound retarded but like i've said, i haven't had the chance to learn these things from anyone and the users manuals that i do have, don't seem to explain this for a good understanding(atleast for me) ..anyhow, what does the "rec" of rec-out represent? Does it stand for record out or receiver out?

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1892
No, a pre-out acts like a preamplifier output and is used to feed an external amplifier. Pre-outs are found on slightly higher-end receivers. Since you don't have them, you can't use your Marantz as an external amplifier for your HT setup, leaving you with switches, or manually switching cables in the speakers.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1893
You can see the pre-outs on the upper right on this Pioneer VSX-815-K (perhaps the lowest cost HT receiver with pre-oout that I know of).

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pio/pe/images/portal/cit_3442/209695979VSX-815 -k_Rear_300.jpg

If you upgraded to such a receiver, not only could you setup your system like I described, but you would also get much better movie soundtracks with Dolby Digital and DTS (compared to your current Pro Logic receiver).

Bronze Member

Redlands, CA

Post Number: 12
the VSX-D514 is the pioneer a/v receiver i have. It has dts and opt digi hook ups, component vid and coax dig audio as well. There is no pre-out. like you assumed, my Pioneer isn't a top dollar or even a mid-range piece of equipment.:-( but it does what it needs to as far as movies go.I just want to be able to listen to my Marantz when listening to music and use the same speakers(front 2channels only) that the Pioneer is using. I don't want to incorporate an external amp into my HT at all, its more like i want to incorporate my two front speakers into my all vintage audio equipment set up. Its all crammed carefully in a living room with "new" home theater equipment and vintage audio equipment like an, H.H Scott tube amp, LaFayette turntable, Marantz, Sansui, Akai..Pioneer spec 1 and spec 4 etc... The stuff gets out of hand! :0 My girlfriends going mad with all the audio equipment I aquire and refurbish then stack into this room. Its my addiction at the moment and I should just do a vintage audio setup in another room. I was just hoping there could be a bit of both worlds for display in the living room. Oh well. Thanks for your help and patience Peter. My names Andy by the way, been meaning to edit my profile...

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1894
Sorry Andy. I got mixed-up with another thread and assumed yours was an older Pro Logic receiver. Yeah, that takes a reason away from swapping out that piece of gear.

don't want to incorporate an external amp into my HT at all,

In the setup I was suggesting, had you had pre-outs, then your vintage Marantz would act like an external amp for the main two channels as far as the HT receiver goes. It would have driven the main speakers for stereo usage (as you want it to) and it would have driven them in HT usage as well, as an external amp for the HT receiver. I wasn't suggesting by adding yet another amplifier. Oh well.

Username: Sci

Post Number: 1
A friend of mine was in a similar predicament with a Pioneer Elite receiver. He had Bose 901 as main front speakers, but these require a tape monitor in/out functionality. This is required due to an active crossover/equalizer to optimize the 901s. I had to trace the signal, and tap into a coaxial ribbon cable to provide 4 RCA jacks.

So if you are into it as you mention refurbishing classic equipment, it should be a fairly simple matter to find the proper signals in the Pioneer receiver.

Since you say the Marantz sounds so much nicer, why not (as a suggestion) drive the front Infinity's always through the Marantz? Simply switch the inputs on the Marantz to select whatever source you provide. That will require both receivers to be on simultaneously. With the signal tap inserted into the Pioneer, you can do as you please.

Good luck.

PS: Never connect the outputs of two amplifiers in parallel. In series, okay.

Bronze Member

Redlands, CA

Post Number: 13
Hey there Sci. Thanks for the comment on my situation. I too, own a pair of the Bose 901 series. Got them for $100 along with vintage Pioneer Spec 1 and Spec 4 poweramp and pre-amp. Sweet find and a sweeter sound.(once the proper placement of the speakers were located) Anyhow. Its a remote control thing. As far as always running my front two channels off my Marantz. And ...i don't know, i wanted to keep the two seperated as far as what each unit does. Pioneer for movies only and the Marantz for stereo listening. As far as playing 2ch stereo. The marantz does sound better. Richer timbre. Deeper bass better mids the whole spectrum of things. My Pioneer avr isn't an Elite. I wish it was, but it holds it own for a bottom dollar Pioneer avr. I'm not quite sure i understand your comment..

"So if you are into it as you mention refurbishing classic equipment, it should be a fairly simple matter to find the proper signals in the Pioneer receiver."

Huh? And as far as refurbishing, i basically only bring a new look to what ever it is i aquire. And also "life" back into the units. I usally can fix simple issues but every noe-n-than i come across an issue where i need a professional look and then have to pay a fee for a fixing. But i try, i'm no expert thats for sure, and thats one of the reasons i joined this forum is to help build my base knowledge on different aspects in Home audio/theater. anyways. got to go to work now. tahnks again for the interest.

Username: Sci

Post Number: 7
Hello LuvH8Luv.

I've been building electronic equipment as a hobby since I was 9.

Conceptually, everything is a 'module'. Pre-amp. Power-amp. As long as you interconnect them properly, anything goes.

What I meant, is you can 'trace' the signal through the Pioneer, by feeding a signal (1Khz tone) to one input, use an oscilloscope to hunt-around, and find the signal. Once you've determined this is the 'output' from the preamp, and this is the 'input' to the power amp (same connection), just cut and splice.

Then you have a RCA jack for 'pre-out' and 'amp-in' for the Pioneer. If you want things back to normal, just connect these two together with a standard RCA male phono plug to RCA male phono plug. I am only talking about a single channel here. You can reproduce this for as many channels you like.

In the case of the Bose, I simply feed the pre-out to the active equalizer in, and take the active equalizer out into the 'amp-in' of either the Pioneer, or the Marantz.

When something complicated is daunting you, simply break it down to 'modules', easier to understand.

It does require some electronics background, soldering skills etc. But it is FUN! And rewarding.

In my setup, I have three Pioneer receivers, and one Rotel amp, driving 48 separate drivers (speakers).

Been building and improving this thing for the past 37 years... :-)

But should you need help, step-by-step, and are willing to take the plunge, please don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us