New to HOME audio (car audiophile)

Silver Member
Username: Langless28

Boston, MA

Post Number: 632
hey, ive been into car stero for a while now and i decided that i would like a decent home setup now, could anyone point me in the direction of a 2ch amp and some decent floor standing speakers? i made a abc box with some 6 1/2 tang bands that i will plan on using in the setup as well. thanks

Silver Member

Boston, MA

Post Number: 633
sorry, forgot a price range, umm. round 200-250 for the reciever and like 150 per floor standing speaker

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9127

ABC box?

Silver Member

Boston, MA

Post Number: 634
an abc box is one that you create a ported box, and split it up into two chambers being 33% and 66% of the boxes total volume and connect both box chambers with a port. it gives the box two peak fq. and those two fq are exactly one octave apart. my box has peak fq of 33 and 66hz

Silver Member

Boston, MA

Post Number: 635
an abc box is one that you create a ported box, and split it up into two chambers being 33% and 66% of the boxes total volume and connect both box chambers with a port. it gives the box two peak fq. and those two fq are exactly one octave apart. my box has peak fq of 33 and 66hz. that being said, two 6 1/2 woofers did 130db 3ft away. yeah!

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4108
Fish, just get a refurbed H/K and a pair of Athena f1.2 speakers and enjoy. \
Usinf car stuff at home is always a disaster.
Of course you will not heed my words and will
A; try anyhow, or
b; keep pushing the issue.

It don't work bro, choose a, b, or c(c bein what I said.)

Silver Member

Boston, MA

Post Number: 636
the abc box was built for home use, im using a plate amp from parts express. 150w into 4ohms for it. what does h/k stand for.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4110
Harmon Kardon.
If you do not know the names, I very heartily suggest a bit of homework, Fish.
This can get very heavy, very fast if you do not do your homework.

Silver Member

Boston, MA

Post Number: 637
yeah is this a good model HK 3480. its only $250. yeah i plan on doing some hw, i also was looking for a pair of three-way floor standing speakers instead of 2way

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9128

Why?

Silver Member

Boston, MA

Post Number: 638
why what, choosing 3way's

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9131

Yep!

Silver Member

Boston, MA

Post Number: 639
are the pioneer s-h452f-K's better than those athena's

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9138

That's your answer to "why"? Really?

Silver Member

Boston, MA

Post Number: 640
2-ways dont have the full range as do 3-way systems. adding a woofer produces full bass response. also having a dedicated mid-frequency driver can also boost overall uniformity of the spectrum. some might disagree and that they are extrelmy well built 2-way systems, but learing from car audio, i like 3-way systems more. plus the crossover networks are more complicated wich is why i enjoy building them more as well.

Silver Member

Boston, MA

Post Number: 641
bump

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 973
bass:

It is easy to believe that a two way is inferior to a three way, but it doesn't work that way. The quality of the parts and how they are integrated has more to do with the sound than does whether they are a two or three way speaker.

I would strongly endorse the earlier suggestion of getting a pair of the Athena F2.2 loudspeakers. Here is the fallacy of your statement: You claim that a two way doesn't have full range the way three ways do, but the Athenas have dual 8" woofers and go all the way down to 35Hz (+/-3db)! That is a lot lower than my three ways do, and, it is a lot lower than most other three ways, particularly given your budget. Oh, you may get something like a Cerwin Vega that really pumps out the dbs, but it isn't real bass--just a lot of mid-bass around 100 Hz. Now, you may believe you can build something in a three way that will do as well using car stereo parts, but I can tell you that car stereo speakers will never come close to those Athenas. That is because they are engineered for a car (extreme heat and cold tempuratures), so the money spent is mostly for durability rather than sonic quality. Furthermore, all car stereo gear is built for "near field" listening--you won't be more than three feet from the car stereo speaker in a car, unlike a room in your house or apartment where you have 10-15x more volume to fill, even if you are listening from 3 feet away. Car stereo speakers have their limitations.

Pairing a Harman/Kardon receiver with those Athenas will give you a lot better sound than any car stereo speakers. I used to install car stereos to get me through law school and I have seen (and heard) it all.

Silver Member

Boston, MA

Post Number: 644
i think everyone has me wrong here, i have no intention of using car audio speakers in my setup. i was looking for a good set of floorstanding speaker, i also will be using a sub (two tang band 6 1/2"s)with any pair of floorstanding speakers i choose. i was just cruizing the web and looking at speakers, are jbl northridge e60's good? what about the e80's possibly the polk monitor 50BK, or infinity primus 360?

Silver Member

Boston, MA

Post Number: 645
speaking of cv having good midrange how overall are they sound quality wize, since im adding my own sub tower, this model CLS-10 10" 3-Way Tower

Bronze Member
Username: Tunasalad

California US

Post Number: 15
Hi Guys,

I bought a Halfler DH-220 stereo amplifier at a garage sale (bad idea), one channel doesn't fully work. The right works very well, but the left output is only audible at VERY high volumes, and then it is so distorted that the music can't be heard most of the time. This is my introduction to the high-fi audio world and I'd like to start with a working setup, so if anyone can help me (in laymens terms please), I would be grateful. Thank You!

Silver Member

Boston, MA

Post Number: 646
please start your own post next time

Bronze Member
Username: Tunasalad

California US

Post Number: 16
sorry

i realized but i couldn't delete my post. will do next time
« Previous Thread Next Thread »