Sub for Martin Logan Ascenti

Bronze Member
Username: Tomcat

Allentown, PA

Post Number: 63
What would you recommend as a good sub for a 14x22x14 room with ML Ascent-i speakers. I mainly need it for HT. The ML Descent is very expansive at around $3000. My budget is $1500.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 4482
If it's mainly for HT, I would go with something from SVS. Maybe this:

http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-box-plus2.cfm

Bronze Member

Allentown, PA

Post Number: 64
Why SVS, why not something else? What is good about it that it will match well with Martin Logan compared to others?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 3963
kamran, I would look for a REL sub, their 8" will blend very well with music.
If volumes rise a bit, the M&K series is terrific.
These are very expensive,however.
Hsu are not expensive,and are quite good, but NOT up to REL.
Pay and play.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3964
For HT, Hsu and don't look back.
Indutry standard, really.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4487
> Why SVS, why not something else? What is good about it that it will match well with Martin Logan compared to others?

Because you said you "mainly need it for HT."

For HT, matching the speaker and the sub is not nearly as important as for music.

And SVS is the king of the wham bam rattle rumble and kaboom! output that most people want from an HT sub.

Hsu has some of that but not quite as much, and is great for a 50/50 music-HT setup.

Silver Member
Username: Eib_nation

Ohio EIBville

Post Number: 115
And SVS is the king of the wham bam rattle rumble and kaboom! output that most people want from an HT sub.
=====================
That sounds like the description of a terrible subwoofer, and a horrible theater. You might rethink your adjectives when attempting to describe good sound. For starters, if you set up your theater correctly, rattles and boom should be completely absent. Those are adjectives that describe a cheap subwoofer in a horrible sound room.

If I were to describe the SVS and its performance, I would say that it creates effortless clean bass without a hint of strain even during the most demanding movie passages. So much so that other subs in its price class can neither go as low, nor produce the amount of effortless clean & accurate SPL produced by the SVS. Where other subs struggle to keep up with demanding segments, SVS has the headroom in spades to handle anything sent its way without a hint of struggle. Yes, the SVS is a brute, but in a refined and effortless way that goes well beyond that of competing subs in it's class.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4489
> For starters, if you set up your theater correctly, rattles and boom should be completely absent. Those are adjectives that describe a cheap subwoofer in a horrible sound room.

Not if those are exactly the contents of the LFE soundtrack on many action/thriller movies.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3981
Stuff blowing up is easy to present, and we all know it.
Pick SVS or HSU, It is all the same stuff. Boom! Pow!
Show me a sub worthy of a good mid-grade stereo hi-fi, without breaking the bank.

Still looking...
Looking...

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1805
Depends on how high it needs to go and still blend in, for music. A sub for speakers that already go down to 33 Hz doesn't need the same characteristics as one for speakers that only go down to 100 Hz.

Bronze Member

Allentown, PA

Post Number: 65
The HSU VTF-3 MK2 sells for $700 where as, SVS PB12-Plus/2 selles for $1400 (in cherry). That's double the price, both go down to 20Hz, as for the power HSU is rated at 300W and SVS at 900W.

So the question is, does SVS really worth double the price of HSU. If price is not the factor, does SVS wins hands down over HSU?

Silver Member
Username: Eib_nation

Ohio EIBville

Post Number: 117
The Plus2 is in a completely different league. Comparing the VTF-3 to the PB12-NSD would be more apples to apples.
http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-box-pb12nsd.cfm

Bronze Member

Allentown, PA

Post Number: 66
what do you guys think of Martin Logan Depth? Has anyone had chance to compare it with SVS PB12-Plus/2. They are both priced similar.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us