Looking for a product:

Username: Wishoosier

Post Number: 1
House I just moved into has speakers mounted in the bedroom ceiling. I've hooked up an old sony boombox to them, but here's what I'd love:
A receiver and CD player that is also an alarm clock. Most alarm clocks have small on-board speakers, and no jacks for externals. I really want the 'wake to CD' option. So far, I can't find what I'm looking for. Any suggestions?

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 4479
I think Phillips makes several mini-systems that has the wake to CD feature, ranging from $80-200.

They have one system that has a digital amp and nice-looking rosewood speakers. Of course can't match real component speakers and receivers, but not bad at all for a mini-system. Look in your local warehouse club (Sam's or Costco).

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 912
Kevin:

Funny you should ask. I was looking for one for my daughter who is off to college.

I found one unit, and it is a very good one. Check out the NAD L53. It has a wonderful 50wpc amp section, and a very nice CD unit built in (also plays DVDs). Best of all, it does have a clock/timer built in, so you can use it exactly the way you want (it is meant to be used in a bedroom system). List price is $599, but if you contact one of the following dealers, you can get it about 20-25% off list:

www.kiefs.com (call Ed, the Mgr.)

www.saturdayaudio.com

dmc-electronics.com (talk to David, the Mgr.)

All require you to call and order by phone as NAD prohibits internet sales at discount. So get their phone number from the website and call.

A built in clock feature seems like a no-brainer option, given how cheap it would be to implement, but no one else seems to offer it. I think it may be because most of the audio companies have all but abandoned stereo gear. Onkyo does make some fine mini-systems that would suit your needs, but they have so little power that the speakers in the ceiling probably would not work well (the Onkyo CS-210 is a fine system, but it has no more than 10 wpc at an acceptable distortion rating).

Gold Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 1230
I saw something from Cambridge audio as well. I don't know if it has any external speaker outputs though.

Gold Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 1231
Haven't used an alarm clock for 5 years now. My alarm clock(s) walk up to the bed and wake me up. Most of the time before I actually want to.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us