Cambridge 640a V2 matching speakers

Username: Audionewb

Post Number: 1
Hiya peeps,
i'm getting a new cambridge 640a v2, and i'm gonna have to get some good speakers for it. Now it's like this, i'm not planning to play it really loud because of neighbours, so i'm looking for a set of speakers that are designed for sounding well at lower levels of listening. I don't know if those exist, as i'm fairly new to this. So if anybody could recommend something, i can search the web and read about the speaker etc.

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 893
What is your budget?

Bookshelf or floorstanders?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 3895
Well Romeo, you must have heard the Cambrige at the dealer, what speakers were connected that you liked the amp so much to buy it?

Post Number: 2
Hiya,
i'm planning on bookshelf speakers, as i plan on playing at lower volumes (does the cambridge sound good at low levels btw). Budget would depend more on the sound, although i don't plan on spending more than around 500 euro's. I heard the cambridge at somebody's house, he had paradigm speakers but i don't know which model. and he told me that for that price the cambridge was a pretty good deal (actually i'm buying it tommorow;). I read around here about NAD, but still i'll go for the cambridge, cause i'm getting a good deal. AT the dealer there are no brand speakers, he builds is own. I just need some recommendation from you experienced ppl :-), than i can read about them and go listen for myself somewhere.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3897
Well, Paradigm, then.

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 897
Romeo:

As much as I love Paradigm, I recognize that Paradigm has a unique sonic signature that requires the right electronics. Paradigm would not be my choice for a Cambridge integrated amp. Nuck is just being a loyal Canadian :-)

Cambridge has a somewhat soft, mellow sound. Detractors complain that it lacks punch, but others love its smooth, melodic delivery of the music (i.e., its very "musical"). Problem is, Paradigm has much the same sound, which means too much of the same thing. The result is the system ends up sounding remote and somewhat dead sounding.

Instead, I would heartily recommend Monitor Audio speakers, particularly their Silver Series (the RS 1). As I said earlier, the Cambridge is smooth, like butter, in its sonic delivery of the music. A speaker that is a little hotter on both the top and bottom end will restore any excitement that may be otherwise lost with the wrong speakers, yet will keep the sonic features that are so appealing about Cambridge's integrated amps. MA speakers will provide a well balanced system with your Cambridge amp. You can learn about Monitor Audio here:

http://www.monitoraudio.com/products/silver/index.htm

Now, I know you want bookshelfs because of your problem with the neighbors. Wow, does that bring back memories for me. I once (30 years ago when I was in grad school) had neighbors in the apartment below me who went crazy whenever I had my stereo on, calling the cops on me on several occasions. Each time the cops left laughing because my system was was no louder than background music--eventually, they refused to take calls from those neighbors. But my point here is that I wouldn't write off floorstanders. Whether you have bookshelfs on a good stand or floorstanders, either way they need to be "de-coupled" from the floor. What I was doing wrong was setting large bookshelf speakers directly on the carpet. But today we know we need good stands that are on spikes, so that the vibrations from the speaker box doesn't resonate through the floor. Well, good floorstanders, such as the MA RS 5, are also on spikes, so I think you will find they present no more problem than bookshelfs. Given the cost of a good pair of stands, floorstanders are often cost less than the bookshelfs with stands, so they are more economical in the long run.

I know of two dealers that are both great and who sell them substantially below MSRP. In both cases, you must go to their website to get the phone number and then call them:

www.kiefs.com (call and ask for Ed, the Mgr.)

www.saturdayaudio.com (SA is posting their sale price on the website as they are closing out the older models--see the S1 or S2s)

I hope this helps!

Gold Member

Post Number: 3904
Very good, Hawk!
If standmounts are in your future, Romeo, and you agree that the speakers should be a bit hot, you might give a listen to Psb B25's (with proper stand).

Post Number: 3
Hiya,
Thanks for the replies, that's a good point about not getting 'laid back' speakers, and monitor audio was on my list for checking out too :-). Thanks for the advises.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us