Sony STF-DE 695 to Sharp LC-32D40U to Sony SLVN51 to Basic Cable Hook-up

Username: Big_w

Post Number: 2
I'm having a lot of problems properly conecting a Sony STF-DE 695 to Sharp LC-32D40U to Sony SLVN51 to Basic Cable (No HDTV service yet). I want to run audio of the TV and VCR over my receiver. I can't get video out from the receiver into the TV. The only video out is taken up by the VCR in and out as to the instructions. There is a single TV monitor out (no audio out) of the receiver. I don't know how to connect that to the TV. The receiver has front video, audio inputs for my DVD camcorder. I can't get it to work.
Please help!

Gold Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 1062
It is most often best to seperate the audio and video at the source. Running audio to the receiver, with the best possible video connections running to the tv (most VCRs will detriment video quality by running the video through them).

If your set-up revolves around the VCR, connect the VCR to the cable, then run the yellow to the TV and the red/white to the receiver. Likewise with the comcorder dvd playback.

Your receiver's monitor out may not convert inputs and only uses S-Video, which would mean all video connected to the receiver must be S-Video. It may also only have monitor out for use of the on screen menu and offers no video switching.

Post Number: 3
Thank you Cano for your helpful suggestions.
You are right that my video quality is much diminished when following the receiver instructions and connecting the cable through the VCR to the LCD HDTV's antenna terminal. My VCR has 3 inputs and 3 outputs (red, white, yellow). My receiver instructions say to connect the input of the VCR to the output on the receivers video1 (which has the only video output other than the TV monitor, no audio) and the output of the VCR to the parallel input of the same. With these connections plus the cable split to both the VCR and TV antenna terminal I could not get audio into the receiver until I hooked up the cable through the VCR. In my opinion the receiver and (or) the LCD lacks a video out. The TV has an audio out both regular and coaxial. The receiver has an auxiliary audio input but it is on a different auxiliary input. As to your suggestion, where goes the yellow from the VCR (input or output?) into the TV (antenna terminal or one of the video inputs?) Everybody usually says I am good at this but I am going nuts! Thank you for you time and patience.

Gold Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 1064
I think I can picture how you have your system set-up.

For optimal quality split the cable at the wall with one cable to the TV and one to the VCR. Hook the VCR up to the receiver with red/white from the audio out jack. Hook the TV to the VCR with yellow to the VCR video out jack.

When watching TV use the TV tuner with the VCR sending the audio to the receiver. When playing back from the VCR use the video input of the TV you hooked the VCR to.

Post Number: 5
Thank you Cano for your time and patience. Everything works perfect. One last question: Does the TV monitor out on the receiver hook up into an input on the TV? (In case I get a DVD to plug into the receiver). The Sharp LCD does not have a TV monitor input.
Again thank you for all your help!

Gold Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 1066
Most likely your tv has the right input (S-video maybe?), I'm not familiar with your receiver. IMO there would be no benefits to running video through the receiver (if it does posess that feature) besides having the volume control on screen. I hook my receiver up to the TV solely for use of the on screen menu, which has several controls not available through the remote such as video switching, second zone, and turn on volume.

Post Number: 6
Thank you for getting back! Stupid of me not to give you my in and outputs:

My Sony A/V Receiver STR-DE695 has:
rear input connectors: RCA (2 Audio Channels) x 3 • Digital Coaxial x 1 • Digital Optical x 3 • Composite (Video) x 4 • S-Video x 3 • Component x 2
rear output connectors:
Digital Optical x 1 • Composite (Video) x 1 • S-Video x 1 • Component x 1
front input: Composite x 1 • Couple RCA Jack x 1

My Sharp LC-32D40U Digital TV has: 4 A/V inputs (2 component, 2 composite w/S-video) & 2 HDMIs

The Sony SLV-N51 VCR has 1 A/V in and 1 A/V out (red, white, yellow) and antenna in and out.

Thank you.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us