Looking for some advice

Username: Maestro2k6

Post Number: 1
Hello all.

I have been browsing your forums for several hours now looking for some information to help me decide between 2 sets of speakers but im still undecided so i thought about asking you guys.

As i said, I'm looking to buy a pair of floorstanding speakers. What i had in mind was E100, but as i was browsing the JBL site i came upon the Studio Series L890 speakers and now i'm puzzled.

From what i have seen, they are almost identical in many aspects. The L890 has an ultra high transducer, and the tweeter seems to be slightly bigger. The woofers are 8'' compared to 10'' that e100 has. Also, JBL advertises some extra features for the L890 but frankly i have no ideea what those mean.

So my question would be, is it worth getting the L890 over the E100? I'm mostly into electronic music and that will be the main (perhaps only) thing i will be listening to at the speakers.
I don't have a receiver yet, but that's besides the point, i first want to make up my mind about what speakers to buy then i'll be thinking about that.

I dont know if this is useful, but the room im plaing to use the speakers in is 16.4 x 13.1 x 8 ft.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 3815
Gigi, there are several ways to go about deciding on componants and speakers.
Ultimately, the final test is your own ears in your room. I once bought a pair of speakers without trying them at home,or even close to my environment, because I liked the specs and look.
To no-ones surprise, they were horrid with my receiver.
I moved up to an amp, and they were better. I heard them at a dealer and they were quite good, with a better amp yet.

If you are buying the speaks without having a source or power device, you could be disappointed later on.

System synergy can be elusive, ask AZ. A lot of us have shuffled componants for years, looking for 'the sound'.
Buying pieces without testing the effect with your ears is dicey, in my experience.

I cannot recommend any speakers, without some info on at least the receiver/amp/cdp that you might get hold of.

Gigi, hit the store and listen to all the gear that you can, for as long as you can, and bring a couple of your own cd's.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1441
In addition to what the esteemed Nucko said, I'd like to say that you are best off going to a Hi-Fi specialty shop. Stay out of places like Best Buy and Circuit City. Dollar for dollar you'll do so much better at a Hi-Fi shop.

Their'll probably be a gentleman here shortly who'll tell you all about internet-direct speakers and how wonderful they are. I've no personal experience with them myself.

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Silver Spring, MD United States

Post Number: 119
I suppose another important question is what kind of budget are you planning for this system? Also, what qualities are you looking for in a sound system? Have you listened to the JBL E100s?

Post Number: 2
Thank you all for answering this fast.

The problem is that im living in Romania and it is kinda hard to find shops that actually have those on stock. I plan on listening to the E100 tomorrow, but no store has the L890's on stock.

Regarding the amplifier, i've been looking for several hours and i'm having problems finding one suitable for these kind of speakers.

As i said before, i mostly listen to electronic music so the main quality that i'm looking for powerful and punchy bass and clear mid/highs.

Regarding the budget, i'm willing to spend up to 1300$ (the cost of L890 here) on the speakers, but only if they are trully better than the E100 for the purpose i have in mind. On the amplifier my target price is up to 700$. Any recomandations for an amp would be most welcome and i will continue searching on my own as well.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 4455
Gigi,

Generally speaking, JBL's Studio line is significantly better than their "E" Northridge line. Or maybe another way of putting it is, the Northridge line is pretty awful and the Studio Line is ok.

I would not choose the speakers before choosing the amp, to make sure that you can afford an amp that is powerful enough to drive such big speakers really well.

What amps are you considering?

What other speakers are available in Romania?

Post Number: 3
I've been looking into amps and it seems that Behringer EP1500 would be enough to satisfy these speakers. I can also choose one of the H/K receivers (i have 3480 in mind).

Regarding other speakers, well.. here are the other choices: Infinity, Sony, Technics, H/K, Revel (though they are really expensive), Alesis, Mackie, Event, M-audio, Roland.

Silver Member
Username: Tpizzle

Post Number: 478
Dont forget to look into companies such as Athena and Aperion. I have Athenas, which get great reviews around here and are well under your budget. I actually listen to mostly electronic and my Athena AS-F2 floorstanders do an awesome job. THey are going for $400/pair from audioadvisor.com right now.

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Silver Spring, MD United States

Post Number: 120
In terms of fidelity of output, the Studio series is superior to the Northridge line, as Edster indicated. Whether the fidelity offered by the Studio line is of significant importance to you, only you can decide.

As far as receivers go, I run an H/K 3380 which is the step down from the 3480 and I am definately pleased by its performance, particularly given its modest price. Now given that the Harman Corporation produces both JBL and Infinity, I would expect either to have excellent synergy with an H/K receiver. This is not to say that the Behringer isn't a quality component, but it is one I am unfamiliar with largely, and as others have noted, system synergy goes a long ways.

Now, if the Northridge JBL's don't give you what you are looking for in terms of sound quality, I would definately suggest looking at the Studio line as well as the Beta (Beta 50 is ~$1000/pr)line from Infinity. Another route to consider is standmounts/subwoofer instead of a pair of floorstanders. The Infinity Beta 20 runs ~400 a pair; combined with a respectable subwoofer, and you would have yourself a killer system.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 9578
db-bass,
She is in Romania and I doubt the availability of these brands. :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us