Denon 3805 + Paradigm

Username: Tryst

Post Number: 4
Hi,

Iam planning to upgrade my HTS , i have the Denon 3805 and planning for Paradigm Studio 60 in the front with CC-470 in the centre and ADP 470 in the rear.I have the Velodyne sub with me.My requirement is 50% HT & 50% music. Please advice.

Thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Serniter

Piscataway, New Jersey USA

Post Number: 55
I am trying to build a HT as well, and trying to decide between Definitive Technology BP7000 and Paradigm Studio 60 (for the fronts). These will be powered by a Denon 4802 in a 'live' room about 15' by 20'. They might later be moved to a carpeted basement, with the size of the listening area remaining the same. The Def Tech have the advantage of built in subwoofers. Would there be any advantage of using smaller front speakers such as Mythos 3 (Def Tech) instead of BP7000 considering it is a live room?

Paradigm speakers seem quite popular on these boards, but have not heard so much about Def Tech.

This system would almost entirely be used for movies. Suggestions are appreciated. Thank you!

Bronze Member
Username: Eib_nation

Ohio EIBville

Post Number: 85
Why would you neglect treating room acoustics? Regardless of how much you intend spend on components, the end result will be bad jumbled-up sound if you ignore the room. In my opinion, any home theater without room treatments is wasted space.

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 857
Srinivas:

You are considering two speaker systems that I believe are quite good in their own right, but they are polar opposites in the type of sound they project. The Def Techs are among the hotter speakers available. By "hot", I mean they have a lot of upper midrange info (between 2-4 kHz) that I would describe as "bright." The Paradigms at the other extreme. They are very warm and "laid-back" in their sound--just the opposite of the Def Techs. The question is what works best with your receiver.

Now, I had a Denon 3803 a few years back, and I hated it. It was very dull and uninvolving, IMO, and I thought it was very lacking in detail. You have the receiver above mine and thus I think it must have a better sound quality than my 3803, but if it is close to my 3803, I would think the Def Techs would make the better choice. But then you have the problem of the room. Rush makes a good point about having a live room when you have Def Tech speakers. They could drive you crazy with their bright nature. Going to the Mythos would not address the brightness issue as the upper midrange problem would still be there. There is no way for me to judge just how "lively" your room is--I am just taking your word for it. So, I am not saying this is a problem, but it certainly can be.

I suggest this info to help you with your decision. Only your ears need to be satisfied, so I would suggest whatever you decide to buy, you try them in your home in your listening room to see if they work for you. If you are satisfied, then they are the right speakers. If not, take them back and get a refund! Never accept a system that doesn't sound right to you. This stuff costs too much to accept less than satisfying.

One last point--I would actually suggest a speaker a little more in the middle, one not as bright nor as laid back a the Def Techs or the Paradigms. Check out the new NHT Classic 3 speaker. I spent some time listening to them recently and was impressed with their ability to sound good with a number of different brands of amps. They are significantly better than the speakers they replace (the SB3s) which was a very fine speaker and a worthy inclusion in very fine systems, so you know the Classic 3 is a contender.

Good luck!

Bronze Member
Username: Serniter

Piscataway, New Jersey USA

Post Number: 57
Hawk, thank you for the suggestions. I will locate a place to listen to the NHT speakers. The room being reflective is a drawback, but there's not much that can be done about it at this time. The Denon/DefTech combination was suggested by the dealer so I'm using that as the 'default'. I intend to do a lot more listening and will keep you posted on impressions.

Username: Tryst

Post Number: 5
Hi, I recently auditioned the Paradigm series and they were not at all impressive barring Studio 100.I didn't listen to the reference series though.But then considering the price its a total waste.I have got Tannoy Mercury speakers and IMO they can beat the monitors any day.I heard Dire Straits " Money For Nothing" and it was very muddy.No clarity at all.Whats the opinion on Tannoy Eyris?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us