Amp Power and Purchasing Question!

Username: Gto1

Post Number: 1
I just obtained 2 Proline Studio Monitors with 500 watt capability at 8 ohms. What type of equipment do I need say I were throwing a party and wanted to play music out of these speakers? I have no clue what I'm doing but I would appreciate any guidance and wisdom!
- Greg

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 9350
Just parties? And you just want it rockin' loud?

Take a look at Pro amps. Behringer, Crown...loud.

Budget?

Post Number: 2
Thanks for your reply - the budget is as inexpensive as possible (200 dollar range) and yeah I just need it to throw parties.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9380
Then my statement above still applies.

You may also want to check out your local music stores and pawn shops.

Post Number: 3
What specs should the amp have in order to operate the speakers?

Gold Member

Post Number: 9384
It should be able to at least match the minimum amount required by the speakers.

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1755
There is no such thing as a minimum required.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8994

"There is no such thing as a minimum required."

When taken literally, you are quite literally incorrect, sir.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1756
Oh... Right. The minimum is anything above zero.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8995

Spoken like a man who owns speakers that produce 104dB with one watt in.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1757
It's hilarious to hear about a requirement of, for example, "a minimum of 20 Watts". What does that mean? That speakers don't sound good below that level? I listen to some CDs at -40 dB on the dial of a 55W per channel amp. That 1/10000 of full rated power, or about 0.005 Watt. The music sure sounds good too.

If the speakers needed 20 Watts to sound good, I'd have to listen to them at full blast all the time, considering the dynamic range of typical recordings.

So JV thinks it only applies to 104 dB sensitivity speakers? Take 15 dB of sensitivity off the speakers, and I'd still be listening at a little over 0.1 Watt. How's that for a minimum?

Now, what do you say to that?

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8997

"So JV thinks it only applies to 104 dB sensitivity speakers? ...

"Now, what do you say to that?"

Uh, I would say you can neither read nor comprehend very well. I never said that. Not in the least, or most broadly interpreted, sense of my comment.

Why did you pretend I did?

Your fabrication hardly makes an effective argument when anyone can scroll up one post and read what I actually said. What exactly are you trying to prove by suggesting my words mean something other than what they state? You honestly can't mean that is what you took from my comment. I thought we were past the full moon crazies.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1758
Here we go again. What a jerk you are...

First you say that I'm incorrect (without saying how or why). Then you bring up the sensitivity of my speakers. Then you insist that wasn't relevant in the first place. Then why did you bring it up, apart from trying to irritate me?

Okay, now to Berny, I hope I have made it clear why stating a minimum requirement for amplifier power doesn't make any sense. JV, I know it doesn't make any sense to you, so quit posting irrelevant responses.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9001

Listen, peter, stop telling me to stop posting things you find irrelevant. And consider who is the jerk here. I made a simple statement that replied to your overly broad concept of power. Please, stay on course or drop out. Irritation works both ways. A sense of humor seems to be above your pay grade.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1763
There is no sense of humour to be had with your dry know-it-all this-is-my-forum remarks. You throw personnal insults around and then pretend it's all a big joke. Ed is right about you. This thread is just more proof. There was no course to stay on with your irrelevant remarks, but you are just too petty to admit that now, or ever.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9002

Goodbye, peter. Again.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1764
F A N T A S T I C

I really hope you mean it this time.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9574
Greg O'Conner,
Just get an amp that is well within your budget and let 'er rip. You'll be fine with the Pro amps. Don't worry about the specs, you'll be able to drive your speakers for the parties. You can see that it is a sore area, I am just trying to give you a baseline. It isn't absolute.

Let us know how it works out for you.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9005

Greg - If you are primarily interested in volume for parties there are two things to consider in your speakers. The first is efficiency and the second is directivity. Do you know the efficiency of your speakers? It may be spec'd under "sensitivity". For party speakers, I would be looking for at least a 96dB output w/ 1 watt input. Higher will be better. This will, in part, determine what sort of amplifier you should consider for party use. Also, do the speakers have horn loaded mid and/or high frequency drivers?

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us