Difference between Denon AVR 2807 & Denon AVR 987?

Username: Remye

Post Number: 6
I requested a Denon AVR 2807 from a distributor and he offered me the Denon AVR 987. He said they are identical except for the model number. When I go to the Denon web site to look at the specs it appears that he is right. What is the deal here?

They have different remotes but I am planning on using a Harmony 890 RF remote anyway.

Gold Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 1193
What is the price difference?

Your best bet may be to call the company and ask directly. Sometimes the differences may come in the parts they use (higher or lower quality by their own standard)

Username: Ssaull

Bensalem, Pa

Post Number: 1
The 2807 is sold in mid-fi stores like Tweeter, while the 987 is mass-marketed in stores like Sears, and online at various internet retailers. The specs and units are identical; the printing of the model number and the name Denon on the front is in different colors. The wattage on the 987 is specified into 6 ohms, in order to show a higher number, since these are mass-marketed, and set up to compete with lesser brands.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 9393
Nice...where did you get this information, Stuart?

Bensalem, Pa

Post Number: 2
Go to the Denon website, navigate to av receivers, and then check the box under each of the two you wish you compare, and then go to the bottom and click on compare. You will see that every single spec on these two receivers is identical. The only difference, which I had forgotten about, is that Denon has begun including a different remote with the 987.

Username: Remye

Post Number: 8
Thank you all. I think I'm going to go with the 987. My only concern is that this "mass-market" model may have some feature turned off like HDCP compatibility. The reason for going with the 987 over the 2807 is that while they both have an MSRP of $1099 I can get the 987 from an authorized Denon distributor for less than $750.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9454
Good call on that source Stuart...thanks.

Remy, what speakers will you be using?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1194
Remy I would still reiterate my earlier statement that a similar list of features still does not make these two exact equal units. You can bet for $349 price difference there are other issues such as quality of parts or manufacturing or software functionality that are at play here. A company does not shoot itself in the foot by offering the exact same unit with that much difference in price

Bensalem, Pa

Post Number: 3
Both units have the identical list price of $1099, and if you print the spec sheets off the Denon website, you will see they are identical save the remotes. I don't know why an authorized dealer would be selling you a 987 for $750. That's a sure way for him to lose Denon if they find out. Good luck.

Bronze Member
Username: Mike3

Lewisville, Tx USA

Post Number: 82
Could it be the spec tollerances on the 2807 are solid and those failing the specs get the 987 nameplate?

Nah!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1197
If the prices are the same, then it is possible that they are the same units just geared towards different markets. I based my point on the aforementioned price difference.

Username: Solfranbeth

League City, TX

I had the same question about a discontinued AVR 985 I bought! Couldn't pass it up; I have never bought any kind of home audio at Fry's, but they had a couple of these NIB for $289! My owners manual actually says AVR 2805/985 on the cover and as Stuart mentioned above, I went to Denon's site and compared the specs and they are identical. Even the product sheets are shown verbatim. Does anyone have any ideas, other than what Stuart has already mentioned. I know the only differences between the 2807 and the 2805 are HDMI switching, XM ready, and a couple of other insignificant (for me ) specs.

Username: Ras_100

Etobicoke, ON Canada

Any body has the New Keys for Eagle Star please...

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10968
Rais,
You must be some kind of idiot! Why are you hijacking this thread, which has absolutey nothing to do with keys?

This is Home Audio Receivers!

Username: Kmcgahey

Hi,

I was confused by the difference between the 2807 and 987 too, so I sent an email to Denon and got this reply:

"There the same the 2807 will be going away soon."

Gold Member

Post Number: 1297
Going away? It was just introduced.

Username: Bryan_hdmi

I e-mailed Denon and was given the same answer. The AVR-987 is the replacement for the AVR-2807.

The 987 has some aesthetic differences that will be part of the "new line".

Bronze Member
Username: Jedi1

Post Number: 19
hi guys, can anyone out there tell me what's the power consumption for denon AVR 2807? the more power consumption the better is it?? Yamaha RXV2600 power consumption is 500W. i think the Denon 2807 is under than 500W. but the Marantz SR7500 power consumption is 680W. between RXV2600 and SR7500 that's a huge gap in power consumption.....
thank you guys....

Username: Sodajeff

Seattle, WA USA

Just confirmed with Denon -
The ONLY thing changed is the remote and the cosmetics of the chassis -
Manufactured at the same facility with the same parts. Per someone's comment - same Ohms - No difference whatsoever.

Denon also confirmed the 2807 is being phased out

Username: Scohen2002

Sorry to revive a dead thread, but i stumbled accross this by searching for my model number. Please help me with my question if you can.

I've purchased an AVR 987 and am pretty happy with it overall, the sounds quality is outstanding. But i want to do something which i seem unable to accomplish. I have an HD TV which has no HMDI inputs which I am using as my monitor. I have conected the Component cables from the monitor out on the reciever to the TV. This allows me to forward on any video signal from the reciever to the monitor. But it will not allow me to forward on any audio which plays out of the TV. For example i route my Tivo into the VCR1 inputs on the 987. This brings in the video signal on S-video from the tivo and the audio in on two RCAs. I can play the sound through my stereo speakers, but can not get any sound out of the TV. This has forced me to run the tivo to the TV independantly of the reciever so i can watch it with sound coming out of the TV when i want to. But since i have no center speaker, i want sound to come from the stereo speakers as well as from the TV. This would be true of any source. I often just want the sound comming out of both the TV and the stereo, which iwas able to accomplish fine with my old JVC receiver, it outputed both audio and video to the monitor.

I gather from the 987's manual that the HMDI out to the monitor would carry audio with it, but my TV doesn't have one. Is there any tricker i can pull to get sound out of my TV when i route it through the 987?

Thanks.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us