System recommendations requested..

Username: Raedeke

Denver, CO USA

Post Number: 2
I just blew up my Kenwood receiver and need to come up with a replacement system to run my speakers in my home. I have a HK AVR 125 that runs my surround sound in the living room.

I just bought a Rotel 6 channel amp so that I don't blow up my next receiver, but was wondering if I can run the amp off the HK even though I have the surround system all set up. Can I connect to the Tape out or other line output and run the amp from that?

If not - and I'm assuming not, what would be the recommendations for a relatively inexpensive receiver, knowing that most of my audio playback comes off my computer and iTunes.

Thanks for the assistance.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 4392
doesn't your HK125 have pre-outs?

You should be able to find an entry-level AVR with pre-outs like the HK240, Marantz 4500, or Pioneer 1015/16 for around $400.

Denver, CO USA

Post Number: 3
No Pre-outs on the HK125 - or at least that I've found.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm looking on e-bay for something - might also look at a Pre-Amp tunner... But not sure what I'm getting into.

I'm a real amateur at all this and now have started to wonder how I split and pre-out signal (when I find it) into the three inputs on the back of the Rotel - simple splitter or something a little more sophisticated?

Sounds like I need a basic Hi-Fi Primer or Introduction.

I'm grateful for any help I can get.

Bronze Member
Username: Dan_the_man

London, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 95
i used to have a hk125, good reciever no preouts though, no you cannot use the tape out lol

i used to think the same thing...not sure what you mean about the rotel maybe you can elaborate...? i don't think you can use the 125 as a preamp no matter what.

Denver, CO USA

Post Number: 4
Have a rotel 6 channel amp on it's way to power the three sets of speakers in our home.

Had hoped that perhaps the HK would have a pre-out that I could use, but am finding that that won't work. Now I'm looking to find a pre-amp with a tuner or a pre-amp and then a tuner.

Didn't think I'd have to go down this road to get a house of sound, but it beats smoking another receiver.

So it's looking like the HK stays put as the Theatre system and I'll build up a new stereo for the house to play all my music off my computer.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 9308
What is your budget for the pre/pro?

If you can swing it,take a look at the Outlaw Audio 990 or 970.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us