JBL Speaker upgrade advice

Username: Sbagot

, Nj

Post Number: 4
Have a pair of JBL L7 speakers for about 10 years. I have NAD C272 amp, T752 receiver doing duty as a pre-amp & a C542 CD player. This combo sounds great for music. Very detailed, highs are very good, the mids great and the base very deep and clean. Problem is my wife thinks they are too big and does not complement her newly renovated living room.
Want to upgrade the speakers possibly with smaller ones. Have been listening to other speakers in the $1000 - $2000 range and failed to find anything that sounds substantially better than my L7 s even though they are 10 years old . Could you recommend some speakers within the above mentioned price range that I would listen to that you think will sound better.
I've listened to PSB Image T55, Kef iq9, Klipsch rf35ch, Paradigm studio60. Even though these speakers sounds very good, none of them made me want to get rid of my L7s. Room size is about 20' x 15' . with 8' ceiling. I listen to almost all kinds of music. Thank you for any recommendations.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8956

What size does your wife want? For the speakers, that is. This should be where you begin. How long have you been married?

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1753
Put Klipschorns in the corners and tell her it's furniture.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 3716
Who has seniority, wife or speakers?

Try the old"I had them when we met", line.

Username: Stuwee20

Tucson, Arizona United States

Post Number: 1
My first post!
i do not have a wife however, my Martin-Logans are big yet they are interesting enough looking (more like art work/sculpture people ask how do they sound? This may be a differant angle to include her to your hobby, imagine the bridge-club gossip, bring your fav. CD. I am a newbie to your site, so is it the size really? or how they look? Peace, Craig

Bronze Member
Username: Soundideas

Post Number: 96
Polk Audio lsi15's are some of the best sounding speakers that you can buy!

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8958

Put Klipschorns in the corners, cotton in your ears and pack your bags. And practice, "Yes, dear. Yes, dear. No,dear."

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 3717
I couldn't hear you, Jan...cotton and all.

Silver Member
Username: Praetorian

Canada

Post Number: 353
Just do what I do, as a well trained, tactically oriented army officer, I retreated from all rooms in the house except one (garage notwithstanding). She then gets complete dominion over all the other rooms, but I get my way in the den.

Gold Member
Username: Rick_b

Orlando, FL

Post Number: 1404
Well done Michael. Carry on.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1544
Sam,

Have a look at the Totem line. Hawks or Forests (depending on price) will surprise you with the size of their sound from very small floorstanders. They're discreet looking speakers and will fill that room easily with that power you have.

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member
Username: John_a

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4469
I had a little wifely resistance to getting Quad ESL 63 speakers. It all dispersed when she heard them. Mrs A re-watches movies like I re-listen to music, and invariably comments that the speakers are the best thing she's ever heard, familar movies are transformed, how pleased she is to hear every nuance of dialogue at last, didn't know what she was missing etc. The final seal of approval was her spending a week back in our old place, with 5.1, center speaker etc. Still nowhere near as good, she said. With really good imaging you get surround sound from stereo, anyway. Probably movie watchers will notice that more easily than people who only listen to music.

Bronze Member
Username: Divin11112000

Michigan

Post Number: 93
I'm not married yet, but engaged so i have SOME experience. Fortunately for me my gf's family has high quality speakers (b&w 801's) so she's ok with the obsession.

My reccomendation is to find speakers that you like or out perform your jbl's, regardless of price. Then tell her it's ok to change them but the cost is $... (whatever it is to make you happy). If she says ok then you upgrade and get a better speaker, and if she says no because of the cost then just explain that why spend money to get less performance.

If she doesn't get that, then suggest that her wedding ring makes her hand look too small or it doesn't match something and suggest getting a new one for her but find some cz or a tiny diamond for a replacement. Explain thats the same thing she wants you to do with the speakers. (On a few occasions i have suggested we trade out her ring to get her a smaller rock. I usually get my way with that one but it could really piss her off so use your discression).

Just some suggestions that I have made to gf when she had problems with me spending money on audio items.

good luck

Silver Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 711
Sam.

I have the C272/C162/C542 with B&W 602S3's which I consider a wonderful combination (though I know Frank A disagrees). I previously had JBLXTi60 floorstanders which were nearly twice the price of the 602's and though rated to cope with more power, quite frankly can't light a candle to them. On decent stands they are a decent, though unassuming looking speaker and in our 22x24 room with its high raked ceiling one third of the volume knob and I worry the neighbours will call the police.

Oh, and as magic as John A's ESL 63's may be, no pair of stereo speakers will provide real surround sound for movies like a correct 5.1 (6.1) set up though I don't believe you were considering multi channel sound anyway. Sorry John, but I'll eat the paper you can print this on if you can prove to me otherwise.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us