Naim Nait 5i or Densen B-110 with Dynaudio Focus 140

Username: Basstrap

StellenboschSouth Africa

Post Number: 2
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post, and it concerns a choice of two integrated amp. The Naim Nait 5i and the Densen B-110. From reading practicaly all reviews on these amps, I understand that the Naims carry more bass authority and dynamic attacking abilities compared to the Densen brand. However, the Densens have a more open soundstage, depth, mid-band "smoothness" and accurate imaging. I can audition the Naims here in SA, but not the Densens, thereby leading me to this forum to gain some insight with others that do have this combinations. Both integrates come in at the same pricepoint. My music preferences are rather polarized, with Jazz Funk, Gospel and African Jazz taking the lead with an occasional rap track from the early 90s,late 80s. I do love the piano, acoustic bass and Gibson guitar sounds and collected many cds of artists preferening these instruments....

I will be pairing one of these amps with Dynaudio Focus 140s (which I can't wait to get). Both amps, I believe, deliver these watts at the speaker drivers, and I would not consider them underpowered.

Any opinions to which amp will integrate best with the Dynaudios, for the music preferences I have...

Regards,

PS: Please not, "what's good for your ears", or any of those cliches....Also, I considering the Prima Luna Prologue 2 tube integrated as well....

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1535
nortin,

I think the 140s are a bit of a tall ask for the nait5i, and certainly beyond what the Prima Luna can cope with. Densen have just upgraded the B-110 to the B-150 I believe. That would have more than enough power for the 140s. In fact, my recollection of the Densen presentation is that it's not that far from that of the Naim amps. Perhaps it is a bit smoother and more open, but they're still very engaging.

Regards,
Frank.

Username: Basstrap

StellenboschSouth Africa

Post Number: 3
Hi Frank,

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, the B-150 is way above my price at the moment and will have to consider the B-110. Densen claims 60W into 8 ohm and 120 into 4 for the B-110. The Densen is at present my favorite buy. Can you maybe expand on "not that far from that of the Naim amp".

Regards,

nortin

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1548
nortin

Yes, my apologies, I mixed up the 110 with the 150. I was shocked to see it is 3 times the price. There must be a heck of a lot more in that amp.

The Densen seems really quite powerful with that doubling of power into 4 ohms. The typical Densen presentation is quite pacey and rhythmic, perhaps not quite as good as the Naim, but good, and so it's not that far from the Naim amp's presentation typically.

Regards,
Frank.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us