Receiver upgrade

Username: Guitrman

Post Number: 3
I currently have a Harmon Kardon AVR20II which only has ProLogic and over the years I've added all Mirage speakers - 2 OM-10s, 2 AVS 200s on the other side of the room about 23' back and 8' up wall mounted just under the ceiling, a center channel 21" wide by 8" tall (I don't know the model) and finally a 12" subwoofer. I want to keep the speakers, but open for suggestions for maybe later years. All this is in the living room, with hardwood floors, which opens up to dining/kitchen area with a 13' wall on the right separating the kitchen. I do have 2 bookshelf speakers in my bedroom hooked into the system 2 speaker outputs. The question is, what do you suggest I get to replace my Harmon/Kardon for music and surround sound movies for which I'll get an HDTV next year? I prefer American made but that doesn't trump quality/value. I'm open to separates or receivers. I'm a musician sound/mixer of sorts so fidelity is much more important than volume. I could use the old H/K to just power the bedroom speakers, but would like to give it to my child. I don't know jargon so much so plain english would be really helpful. I hope to stay around $1,000 but if the value is there am open to go up a bit. Outlaw looks good on the net, Rotel sounded good in a store (but not my speakers and I understand is Chinese), and a salesperson said Pioneer Elite is coming out with a great $1,500 receiver that will help me eq my room. What to do?

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 9070
I still say Outlaw or Rotel. I like Outlaw Audio and they should play well with your Mirage speakers.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 3682
Outlaw and Rotel present themselves in a very similar manner.
For me, that seems like up front Rock and Roll horsepower.
The presentation will likely be different for other listeners.
I like them both.
But then, I like Joe Walsh.

Post Number: 4
Would Outlaw and Rotel reproduce jazz well, like Diana Krall? Any suggestions on what model(s) or power? Also, what about separates? I'm thinking about just switching out the processor whenever I need to upgrade and just keeping the amp. If I go that route then I'd like to be able to just have the stereo for music then be able to easily switch to surround sound for movies. I like action movies. At the same time, I don't want to be "fooling/tweaking" things all the time. I understand one time set up but then I just want to hit maybe a few buttons to listen the way I want.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 9153
Most definitely. Outlaw and Rotel include separates in their line up and they are both capable of producing stereo very well.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 3708
Maybe Eddie will come around, he shops like a fiend, and is very helpful for more H/K gear than I.
If you are continental us, H/K can be had for cheap.

Post Number: 5
Any recommendations for particular model numbers, combinations? Also what are the characteristics, pros and cons and tradeoffs of different brands and equipment combinations?

It also seems from initial feedback I should stick with Outlaw and Rotel and possibly Harmon Kardon depending on what Eddie thinks, is that right?

Post Number: 6
Oh, and I'm in Dallas, TX, btw.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 4378
Lee, I'd start with this HK receiver which should provide plenty of power and SQ for 2-channel music, and easily handle all the current Dolby Digital sound formats plus EQ and calibrate your speakers.

http://www.6ave.com/product.jsp?zipz=11001&x=AVR635&w=1

List was around $1300, now $560 shipped.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 4379
of course if you're feeling adventurous and up for gambling $15-20 in return shipping in case it doesn't work out, you could also try this little budget wonder at $250 shipped:

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product_Code=PAN+SAXR55-S&JRSource=Price Grabber.datafeed.PAN+SAXR55-S

Go to avsforum.com and do a search for that receiver, and you'll see why it's also worth considering. Lots of people have given up far more expensive gear after hearing it.

Username: Stuwee20

Tucson, Arizona United States

Post Number: 2
Hello Lee,
Just a thought to think about.
Alot of my friends have these complex HT systems, I bought a Marantz 2270 on ebay ($175.00 w/s/h) I have nice DCM speakers very easy load! Nice sony TV panel screen. when I got the Marantz I heard things that I never heard before.
I invited these people over to see with out saying what was up!
Every one of them said the same thing, Wow! it dosn't sound like mine but it is so much more.....
And I said ...There!!
Is it I do not know?! I just think less is better.
Do you really like the 5.6.7. 1 sound? 2 channel on DVD with the right stuff has proved more is less in my home w/non-audiophiles, just my opinion!!
Peace, Craig

Post Number: 7
I appreciate the feedback. Looks like I'll be shopping this weekend looking at return policies. I'm thinking I'll narrow down choices in the stores then audition some at home and return all except one.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us