$500 440W Klipsch sub vs. $550 170W Yamaha sub?

Username: Mx23250

Post Number: 3
I'm new to home audio, although experienced with car audio, however, figuring out how to compare these subs is confusing. I'm debating between the Klipsch KSW12 (440W, 105W continuous) and the Yamaha YST-SW325 (170W nomial RMS output). Retail has the klipsch at $500 and the yamaha at $550 so i would assume them to be similar in performance, but how do i compare them? do i compare the 105W of the klipsch with the 170W of the yamaha? basically i found the yamaha much cheaper online than the klipsch and ive heard the klipsch in person and it sounds great and i njust want to make sure the yamaha would be just as powerful. i appreciate all input.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 9027
Home audio is different, I see that you are focused on RMS wattage and such, and probably lookin' for da bump and da thump:-)

For that budget, you can take a look at HSU subwoofers. That particular Yamaha sounds muddy and has an annoying port noise, the Klipsch sounds a little better although still somewhat boomy.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 4367
probably the more impressive sub to a car audio enthusiast would be the SVS PB10, $480 shipped from svsubwoofers.com

Gold Member

Post Number: 9035
That will definitely provide da bump!

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1736
I would also steer you away from Yamaha and Klipsch and toward sub brands like Hsu and SVS in that price range.

On the other hand, Berny and Edster, you might not spend that money on a Yamaha or Klipsch sub but apparently Mr. Schmidt will. So why question his decision? It seems rather rude.

LOL!

Gold Member

Post Number: 9040
So true :-)

Username: Mx23250

Post Number: 4
yea i just checked out the svs subs and those do look pretty impressive. the reason i was hoping the yamaha was a good sub was because even though it has a retail of $550 and most every place online is selling it for $500 i found it at one site brand new for $220 with shipping included. thanks for your input though, it would be worth the extra money to have a much better sub if the svs is it.

Silver Member
Username: Gamerdude

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 103
i like the woofer with the duel 12inch:D adn the three ports could be used as fan at hi levels

Gold Member

Post Number: 9101
kyle, have you used this subwoofer?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us