New System Help

Username: Isujharris

Post Number: 1
Hi,
I'm hoping someone can help me out with deciding what to buy. I'm a college student living in a decent sized apartment and want to put in a sound system. I'm into hardrock, rap, and alternative music; so I'd like a system with a good kick to it(gotta throw the best parties!) My budget is looking like it will be $600-800. So any advice as to what I should get will be great! Keep in mind that I have no receiver or speakers right now.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 4364
2-channel or surround?
% music to HT?
already have a CD or DVD player?

Post Number: 2
The majority would be 2-channel, however, it would be nice to be able to do surround. I do have a cd/dvd player. 75% music

Gold Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 1037
"I'd like a system with a good kick to it"

Why does that seem so familiar?

Post Number: 3
Sorry for the newbie comment.....I just meant that I would like a system with a decent amount of bass for rock/rap. As opposed to jazz, orchestra, etc....Any help is appreciate because I don't know much.

Post Number: 4
Alright, so i've been reading quite a few posts for some insight and it seems that the Athena F2's are quite popular and very nice. To couple them, the HK 3380 or 3480 receiver seems to be good also. Is this going to give me enough sound (bass and vocals) for what I described?

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Silver Spring, MD United States

Post Number: 108
It should do the job nicely, but it really depends on how much bass you want. If you really want to pound it out, I would suggest the HK3380 (200) with the Athena AS-B1.2 bookshelf ($120) and the SVS PB10-NSD subwoofer (429) or HSU STF-2 sub (399).

Post Number: 5
Like I said, I'm living in an apartment, so I don't think I need to be shattering windows or anything. Ha. But we're going to throw some parties occasionally, so some decent bass will go a long ways.

Post Number: 6
The ignorance continues I know....but does it matter what CD/DVD player I have set up to my system? I would really hate to buy the HK 3380 with some Athenas and throw in my less impressive cd player and get craptastic music.

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1728
Is it even possible to use a sub in a regular apartment without disturbing the neighbours? (Not talking super deluxe condos here)

Serious question here, perhaps worth a thread.

Gold Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 1038
The only apartment I lived in that could get away with it were actually condominiums that had in-floor radiant heating systems. IOW, concrete floors (and walls too). My neighbor asked if her exercise cycle made too much noise since it was right next to the wall. I told her I'd never heard anything at all, let alone a cycle. Quietest apt. I've ever been in. If the walls and floors are of typical modern construction you'd better make sure your neighbors are at the party or the cops will be.

Post Number: 7
yeah, thats a good point. the apartments i'm living in are full of other students, so i'll have to do some investigating to make sure a little noise either doesnt bother them, or that they're coming to the party. i guess with that being said, i don't know what route to go for getting speakers.

Bronze Member
Username: Eib_nation

Ohio EIB Nation

Post Number: 75
Oh heck.....

You're a college kid??

Get some ginormous Cerwin Vegas or something, and you'll be able to blast the clothing clean off your lady friends with those thangs!!

You can power them with any cheap $200 receiver, and you'll be all set.

A setup like this will be the hit of any college keg party guaranteed!!
Upload

Dont worry about the neighbors. Just be sure to invite them to the party, and you'll be fine!!

Bronze Member

Ohio EIB Nation

Post Number: 76
Oooops, sorry, I almost forgot.

The CVs will run you about $500-$600.

Add a $200 receiver, and you're party system will be comlete, and within budget:-)

Post Number: 8
Dang it Rush! I have to be KIND OF mindful of the neighbors! Haha. That would be an awesome setup, especially for the area that your picture is taken, but it's probably not realistic for my apartment.....

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1729
So... floors have watts! :-)

My ceilings have watts too (radiant heating).

Gold Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 1039
I knew there was something familiar about this thread.

Gold Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 1181
Is this a reincarnation of Paul we have on our hand?

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1731
I don't think so.

Bronze Member

Ohio EIB Nation

Post Number: 77
Dang it Rush! I have to be KIND OF mindful of the neighbors! Haha. That would be an awesome setup, especially for the area that your picture is taken, but it's probably not realistic for my apartment...
---------------------------
Screw the neighbors. You're only in college once!!

It's not like you're going to wake the neighbors kids, and I'm sure they're not all a bunch of nerdy bookworms that go to bed at 10pm.
LOL
You'll have your entire life to buy audiophile stuff, but college is where you want to blast it!

For example, if a neighbor in your building throws a kegger, and you fire up the tunes, the party will gravitate to your place in spite of not serving a drop of beer!! They'll hang with the tunes, then return to the neighbors for refills.

LOL

Learn it, Live it, Know it!!

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8930

"Screw the neighbors. You're only in college once!!"

Advice as useful as anything that eminates from the Golden EIB microphone.

Pay attention to the neighbors or you won't even be in college once.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1732
Perhaps I was wrong...

Paul?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4366
Jordan,

You're on the right track for now. Get the HK 3480 and the Athena F2.2s and the Marantz 4300 CDP (list $250-300, authorized refurb at $145 shipped from accessories4less.com which I found very close to the $500 NAD c542 which simply had a smoother and slightly more detailed midrange). All 3 should add up to about $800, your budget ceiling.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3485
My thoughts exactly Peter.

Post Number: 9
Great, thank you Ed. I didn't think anyone would actually give me some serious audio advice. Haha. I appreciate the help greatly. One more thing. I have the majority of my music on my computer, so I'll have to feed it to the CDP. This won't affect the music quality will it?

Post Number: 10
And what's the deal with this Paul guy?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
As mentioned in my very first post, I would like to have a system that could double as a HT. After looking at the HK 3480, I quickly realized that I would not have the ability to do so. I still would like to get the Athena F2.2's and possible the B1.2's to use as rear speakers. Would this be okay? The B1.2 sound like pretty powerful speakers for the money. So I'm going to need a different receiver that could be used for a HT system. Am I stupid for thinking that those speakers would be good together as a small "surround sound" setup? I feel bad that I have so many audio questions, but I do want to learn what is good and what isn't.

I couldn't help but notice that the HK 3480 has a max output of 120 watts per channel. Does this mean that the Athenas (F2.2's and B1.2's) wouldn't be operating at the capacity that they could? I believe each F2.2 is 250 watts and each B1.2 is 125 watts? Maybe I'm thinking about it the wrong way....

All of your guy's advice is really helping me to understand what is best. So please, keep it coming!

Gold Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 1042
"Maybe I'm thinking about it the wrong way...."

Absolutely. Speakers ain't got no watts so don't use that as a criteria for your purchase. If you want HT and like the HK brand just move up to an A/V receiver from their line.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
And would the Athenas be a good combination together as a "surround sound"?

Gold Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 1043
I won't comment on the Athena brand specifically but it's generally ok to mix/use speakers within the same brand for multi-channel systems. Surrounds usually receive much less of the audio signal than the front three in multi-channel mixes (there are some exceptions of course) so using smaller versions of the mains for surrounds is very common.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1740
They use the same dome tweeter as far as I can tell, so they likely sound-alike and will match-up well.

The B1.2 are rated 3 dB lower in sensitivity, so if they are located at the same distance to you than the floorstanders, you'll need to add 3dB to the surround channels on the receiver setup. No big deal.

As for power handling, I wouldn't worry about it at all. The speakers specs are maximums that should not be exceeded, that's all. There's no such thing as a minimum requirement (apart from the power needed for realistic SPL in a given room).

Bronze Member
Username: Serniter

Piscataway, New Jersey USA

Post Number: 41
Would it be a good idea to add the surround part of it later? Such as a $150 Pioneer 5.1 reciever with the B1.2 speakers since they will not need as much power to drive??

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
So you're saying to just get a pioneer receiver with only the B1.2's? I thought of just getting the B1.2's but had no idea if that would be enough sound. I guess I don't really have a way of knowing that, which is why I'm here. I'm struggling with finding a receiver to go with the setup that I've been describing. So I guess I have two options:
1) A cheaper receiver (Suggestions welcome) with the B1.2's. - Probably only used for music.
2) A better receiver (Suggestions welcome) with the F2.2's and B1.2's. - Used for music and HT

With the second option, I'm already around $550.00 with just the speakers alone, and with the 600-800 budget that I attempted to set, it might be difficult to find a receiver that will couple as a Stereo/HT.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4373
Better idea would be to get 2 pairs of B1.2s ($240 from audioadvisor.com) with this ($330) surround receiver:

http://www.accessories4less.com/cgi-bin/item/MARSR5400

and add an Athena AS-P4000 sub for about $150 from amazon.com or audioadvisor.com --- that way you've got both surround sound and music with decent bass extension. With the Marantz CDP added in you'll be at just about $850.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
Ed, that Marantz receiver is neat!! The B1.2s with P4000 is an excellent combination for the purpose IMO. This is the way I'd go.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Great! Thanks everyone!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
What other receiver would compare to the Marantz SR5400? I can't find one anywhere! They're on back order at the link I was given. Again, I'm looking for probably 6.1. I'll be starting out with 4 Athena B1.2's as my fronts and rears, in addition to the Athena 4000 sub.

Another question is, I've seen receivers that are 80watts per channel, 90 per, 100, per. How much difference will I notice looking at these?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4383
search for the Marantz 5500 and 5600, just more recent models not that much different. Or you might be fine with the Marantz 4400/4500/4600 too.

Don't worry about RMS numbers, most manufacturers grossly inflate them anyhow.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 43
RMS numbers as quoted by Marantz should be realistic. With brands such as Sony and Pioneer, the RMS numbers may not translate to actual capability. I expect 80 watts per channel to be good for the B1.2s.

I've often seen good prices on HK demo units at chain stores like BestBuy. Wonder if they're worth checking out.

Marantz 4500 seems to be available on the site Ed referred:
http://www.accessories4less.com/cgi-bin/item/MARSR4500S

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
So I FINALLY know the basic setup that I'm getting.

4 Athena B1.2's
Marantz SR4600 Receiver
Athena C1.2 (Possibly)
Athena P4000 Subwoofer

The whole setup brings me upto $850, a little over what I wanted to spend, however, I still need a cd player. What should I look for in a quality cd player that isn't $200 bucks? I'm sure the cd player is quite important to the setup, but how much importance do you put on it?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
I forgot to mention that the majority of my music is on my computer. How do I go about connecting to the computer for that?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 46
The sound card on your computer might have either RCA outs or a headphone socket. You can easily find a cable that connects either one of these to RCA sockets on the back of the receiver.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2110463&cp=2032058.2032228 .2032250&parentPage=family

OR

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2110460&cp=2032058.2032228 .2032250&pg=2&parentPage=family

Make sure you choose a cable of suitable LENGTH.

CDs sound better to me than mp3 files though... (maybe my sound card isnt great)

I would first listen to the setup with your current CD/DVD player. At that time you can tell if the extra money you spend on the CD player will be worth it.

Its possible to spend quite a bit of money on this hobby, so I suggest you buy the minimum required and upgrade whenever you feel the need to shop :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Haha, that's a good idea. I haven't even bought anything and I'm already scheming about future purchases. :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
I've said it before but I'll say it again to save you some reading time, but the system I've narrowed it down to is:

4 Athena B1.2's
Marantz SR4600 Receiver
Athena C1.2 (Possibly)
Athena P4000 Subwoofer

What kind of effect would I get putting 2 Athena R.1.2's(Bi-pole rears) instead of 2 B1.2's? From what I've read, they have similar specs except their frequency range. Maybe I'm wrong though. I like the idea of the surround sound but wasn't sure how much sound I would be losing moving to the Bi-pole rears.
Thanks.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4421
many people feel that bi-poles are better for HT surround effects and monopoles are better for surround music...so it'd depend on your HT vs. music usage I guess. If you do music only in 2-channel, the bi-poles might be better when you're doing HT.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us