The Best Bang for the Buck Speakers on the Market

Bronze Member
Username: Soundideas

Post Number: 91
I went and listened to some new Quad 989's today and they are some of the best speakers I have ever heard period! They also had some Polk Audio lsi15's there too and I thought they sounded very close to the Quad's!....very smooth from top to bottom

Bronze Member

Post Number: 92
Look in the reviews here someone else thought they sounded close to the Quad's too! http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/reviews/lsi15/

Silver Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 696
TC - only one person can determine if they are the speaker for you.

And that's you.

They do seem impressive going by the reviews. But there are thousands of good speaker reviews - in the end it's your ears and your money.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 3638
cupper, Rantz is correct in the 'it's your call' dept.
However, as a sidenote, I do not ever put a lot of faith in publications with grammatical and spelling errors. Ever.

Gold Member
Username: John_a

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4445
Surround sound problem - Gunshots.

tin cup; "they are some of the best speakers I have ever heard period". Yep.

New Quad ESL models.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 93
The Polk's and Quad's had all McIntosh gear. Polk Audio is coming out with a all new LSI series in 2007 or 2008!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 95
All polk audio speakers are on sale right now at www.amsound2.com ... polk audio lsi15's are only $975 a pair!

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1438
Stay as far away from American Theater as you can. I haven't personally dealt with them, but I've seen more problems with them than just about every other dealer combined. I can remember specific threads here, but you can search archives.

People have said that they yell at you on the phone if you ask questions about gear before you buy it. Imagine if their's something wrong with it. Also, a lot of their stuff is open box, returned, refurbed, etc. without them telling you it is.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1439
...think of American Theater as a White Van on the internet.

Username: Hifisoundguy

Post Number: 1
I have a pair of these speakers and I also think there some of the best sounding speakers on the market today.

Bronze Member
Username: Eib_nation

Ohio EIBville

Post Number: 82
Bose

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 9218
Randy, you probably haven't heard too many speakers.

Bose....YESSSS!

Post Number: 2
The speakers that these replaced were VMPS RM-3O'S and the Polk's are just a all around better speaker!

Gold Member

Post Number: 3751
They sure are.

Post Number: 3
Why pay lots more to get that last 10% impovement in sound! Polk Audio lsi15's are that good!

Gold Member

Post Number: 9275
Why not pay more? It is a personal choice, if he wants to spend more, who are we to say he is doing it wrong or he is wasting his money. Maybe you won't pay more, but there are those who will.

Question...how did you quantify "that last 10% improvement"?

Post Number: 4
Berny look at this! http://www.onhifi.com/product/2002_productsoftheyear.htm

Gold Member

Post Number: 9282
And this is supposed to change my mind or convince me?!?

I am not stating that the Polks are no good, it's just that you cannot tell people what they should like and what they should spend their money on.

I doubt that I'll trade in the Cremonas for those, though they are reviewed quite well.

Post Number: 5
Berny, I'm not saying for everyone to go out and buy these speakers but they are some of best sounding speakers you can buy at any price!

Gold Member

Post Number: 9284
Yes they are good speakers, that I do not doubt:-)

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1576
The best bang for the buck speakers in the world are those that make you connect to the music irrespective of price. So in my case, this would be Totem Mani-2 Signatures, Naim DBLs, Naim nSats, Audio Note An-E, EPOS M12.2, Dynaudio FOCUS 110s, Focal JmLab 1007be, Wilson benesch Arcs.

The worst bang for the buck speakers are those that make you go to sleep or which do not grab your interest when music is playing through them. So in my case this would be anything from Wilson Audio (zzzzzzz), Krell, Quad, Monitor Audio, Wilson benesch Discoveries, ProAc (Sorry Art), and any of a multitude of others.

Bang for the buck yes, but it really depends on if they engage. If they don't then value for money simply doesn't come into it - and most don't.

Regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member
Username: Mike3

Lewisville, Tx USA

Post Number: 67
Frank,

What's your thoughts on Vandersteens (which I passed on a set of 3's in favor of Anthony Gallo Ref 3.1s)?

Mike

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1579
Mike,

It's been years since I heard a pair of Vandersteens. I seem to remember them being very sweet in the midrange with good extension in the frequency extremes. I think timing was a little suspect though.

That said this is about 10 years ago or so, so I could be completely wrong. I just remember being quite impressed with them (and they were 3's).

And before you ask, I've not heard the Gallos.

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4487
Frank,

I know you know your stuff with all things audio, but speakers should not grab anyone's interest when music is played through them.

The better the speakers, the more one's interest is grabbed by the music.

Quad ESLs are in the "A" list, at least.

If you fall asleep, blame the musis, not the speakers.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4488
"musis" -> "music".

"Edit" is not working at the moment.

Post Number: 7
I almost forgot I'm also using two Clever Little Clocks from www.machinadynamica.com with my system. You have to get your room right first or your stereo system will never sound right no matter what gear you use. These clocks have no effect on your gear but they have a big effect on your room!

Bronze Member
Username: Sukhoi30

New Zealand

Post Number: 24
Some thing Funny :-)

Frank i so see your point not over riding it or taking it literally.

But i literally like to go to sleep with music on.

One of the things i enjoy doing is having a nice hearty wife made meal (i am a epicure :-) ) and then going to sleep with music on.

haha - i know it sounds real lazy but i do it once in a way.

but remember if i can g to sleep with B&Ws 6 series i can preety much go to sleep with any thing.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9397
I hope Randy is kidding about the "Clever Little Clocks"

"get your room right first" then go on to write "big effect on your room"

Wouldn't one follow the other even without the little clocks? Once you get the room right the effect is already there even before the clocks?

Please say you are kidding!

How do you feel about electret foam?

Post Number: 8
Berny, I'm not kidding! These clocks have a big effect on the room. Until you try a product like this your never believe it anyway. What is electret foam?

Gold Member

Post Number: 9398
If you say so Randy.

You and John Wagner would have really hit it off.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3783
frigging return of the clocks.
Randy try the rainbow foil.

They have an effect on your thick head.

Gold Member
Username: Rick_b

Orlando, FL

Post Number: 1410
Let's get back to the basic question. It's about bang for the buck, not if Quad or Wilson or whatever is the best. I said it years ago and I still say the best speaker for the MONEY is the Magnepan MMG!

Gold Member

Post Number: 9404
And I say the best speaker for MY money is the Sonus Faber Cremona. :-)

After all, it comes down to how much you are willing to spend and what one perceives as the best speaker for the money they are willing to pay.

If one thinks that Quad or Wilson or whatever, is the best bang for their buck , who are we to say that they are wrong? We just cannot impose things that we value on others just because theirs is different.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3496
Having owned the Maggie MMG I have to disagree Rick. The low end is so weak especially without high dollar high current amplification that it has to be supplemented with a sub. Not just any sub mind you as we are talking about Maggies and they are lightning fast so they need a high end sub to do them justice. With the right setup Maggies (I've owned the SMGa, MMG, and the MG12) can be magic but you have to be willing to spend the requisite bucks to make it happen which takes it out of the bang for buck category. That's just my opinion so take it for what it's worth (not much I'm afraid).

I think that the Totem Rainmaker is a real steal at the 1k mark. With proper placement a sub is not needed to enjoy them and they are not nearly as fussy about power as other Totem's.

BTW for Michael I have spent considerable time with Vandersteens and believe that the entire line represents outstanding value. Each of their speakers are standouts in their price range. The 2ce, Quattro, and 5a are especially good.

Bronze Member

Lewisville, Tx USA

Post Number: 76
AZ, Thanks. The only reason I am still thinking speakers after buying the Gallo Ref. 3.1s (which are great) is that I cannot bi-amp them and I have 2 butt kicking amps. :-(

The Quattro has built in subs and I may not have funds nor space for the 5a, nor do I know if they have powered subs or not but it easy enough to find out if I were thinking about going that route. I have heard from a valued source that the bass of the 3's does not satisfy a lot of folks. :-(

Nuck, I can call the GNW. I never knew my cell phone would do that. Since I got your ANI I thought, "well maybe". I was going to ask if you had those Clever Little Clocks. :-(

Gold Member

Post Number: 9415
Let's just hope we don't anymore recommendation with products from machina dynamica. Like sonic pebbles or some other crap.

It's weird how people can always fall back on the old "until you try it, you'll never believe it" logic. As if it somehow validates their recommendation.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 732
Well, the clock in our listening room made a heck of a difference. I can see what time it is without turning my head and interfering with the soundstage. And as far pebbles go I can't say, but I do know rocks in your head works. Because I could hear a difference with better speaker cables and my wife said I had rocks in my head. So there you go you naysayers.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9417
It does not really do anything until you replace all your receptacle covers with the tru-tone duplex covers.

You really can't say anything until you've tried it, so you won't understand.

Bronze Member

Lewisville, Tx USA

Post Number: 79
MR,

Me thinks too many of us have the same audio chip in our Stepford wife models. There is an upgrade, but you don't want to go there.

Alas, I am no longer able to refute my wife's audio position.

She never could hear any changes in the reproduction of my audio system sound no matter what improvements I made. Then all of a sudden one day she tells me; "I listen to music for the feeling, if I like it I will sing or swing (dance) to it. You are too technical in your listening and miss the whole point."

Wives!!!

Gold Member

Post Number: 9419
Indeed!!!

Your wife is wise, as my wife has the same stance. She is very critical about the way music feels.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 734
Michael,

I agree with your wife as it really is all about the music. But like other things - it is the quality that counts. They should respect that notion.

[grin]

Post Number: 9
The word is starting to get around about these clocks! http://www.soundstageav.com/onhifi.html

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Silver Spring, MD United States

Post Number: 114
Hey Randy, I've got these special pebbles in jars that are similar to that of MD. However, thanks to their superior cubic crystal structure, the effects are significantly more pronounced than those of MD. They go for 250 bucks a jar; I would recommend at least one jar on top of each component, and realistically no less than three on top of your amplifier for optimal results.

Post Number: 10
Stephen, Just add any weights on top of any gear will do the trick with that tweak. http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?aamps&1138572451&read&keyw&zzclever=litt le=clocks

Gold Member

Post Number: 3789
If you kids don't behave I'm gonna pull over!

Gold Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 1031
What time is it, anyway?

I have no clocks in my audio room. No rocks either. No clocks, no rocks rocking my socks and my stocks are shlocked so new speakers were blocked by the wifey. Anyone for green eggs and ham?

Gold Member

Post Number: 9484
Oh heck no...that IS John Wagner!

The VI has returned!

So do you have their chip to improve the sound of your CDs?

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Silver Spring, MD United States

Post Number: 116
Didn't JW use SDATs though? 200 dollars worth of speakers with $10,000 worth of tweaks...was great stuff.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9486
Yes it was.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3792
Ahh, the old days...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Who's this John Wagner guy?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3795
Where to start?
This poster who espoused all the urban audio legends like the ones above.

http://www.belt.demon.co.uk/product/ref/ref.html

Like this

Gold Member

Post Number: 3796
along with $2.39 digital clocks for some unknown reason, and a bottle of rocks on top of speakers.
And colored dots plastered all about your place, including windows and amplifiers.

Enter at your own risk.
I suggest smoking one before entering for maximum giggles.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9512
Randy,
I believe they give away free samples of the raibow foil. Send for a sample and tell us what you think.

What have you got to lose? After you all, you wouldn't know how it works until you try, right?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Has anyone here tried rainbow foil?

Gold Member

Post Number: 9577
Upload

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 744
Thanks for the link Nuck, but I thought I'd paste these exerpts here for those who may not have bothered reading it.

"Any spinning object such as a vinyl record of Compact Disc interacts with the gravitational force to produce adverse energy patterns. Spinning reels of magnetic tape or the rotating head assemblies of video recorders or DAT machines also produce adverse energy patterns. These energy patterns severely restrict the ability of human beings to perceive music and speech correctly.

Narrow strips of this revolutionary, adhesive backed foil, neutralise the adverse energy by inverting the energy pattern and therefore restoring it to a naturally occurring environmental pattern.

It is therefore essential to attach a narrow strip of Rainbow Foil to at least one of the labels of a vinyl record and to attach at least one narrow strip to the label side of a Compact Disc. The strips of Rainbow Foil can be attached to any part of the label and the Foil strip can be positioned so that it points in any direction."

Maybe they should apply these strips to dancers and ballerinas so their act doesn't lesson the enjoyment of the music for the audience. But of course they would need to be applied over their navels because we all know that's where the adverse energy patterns escape from the human body to run amok and cause all the chaos in the world.

Now if that isn't stupid enough,there's this:

"It is also advantageous to place a strip of Silver Rainbow Foil specifically over the word 'disc' (part of the Compact Disc symbol)."

"A strip of Silver Rainbow Foil should also be placed specifically over the number 33 1/3 rd or 45 which is usually printed on both labels of a vinyl record to indicate the speed."

Whoever said a fool and his money are easily parted was spot on.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9587
You should take a gander at the Cream-Electret Foil.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3817
I can't even remember the thread, but I ran this gauntlet already, with the other Whacked out guy.
I sent along a little sample to a couple of members as well.
It was rather fun.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9594
Here's a trip down memory lane:

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/203240.html

Gold Member

Post Number: 3818
haha, very good bernie!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums