Post Number: 6
I am considering the following home theatre speaker systems:

Option 1
Monitor Audio RS 6 Fronts/Main
Monitor Audio RS lcr Centre
Monitor Audio RS fx Surrounds

Option 2 (under protest - w.a.f.)
KEF KHT 3005 Speaker Package

What receiver(s) would you recommend? The system will be used for both music and movies, but more for music.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 3576
Check out the outlaws.
www.outlawaudio.com

Bronze Member
Username: Alphabet

Cape TownSouth Africa

Post Number: 89
Just tell your wife "Darling you know I always say that size does'nt matter, but in this case size is a factor!" He, he, he!

Outlaw seems to be highly rated and you could also look at Rotel.

Username: Googol_plex

Uitenhage, Eastern Cape South Africa

Post Number: 7
I should have mentioned that the recommended receiver must be readily available in the UK. Are Outlaw products readily available in the UK, specifically in London?

As far as Rotel is concerned, which one - the RSDX-02 or RSX-1056? What about the Denon AVR-2106?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3590
Outlaw is US and internet direct, Rotel has a shop near you.

Bronze Member
Username: Alphabet

Cape TownSouth Africa

Post Number: 91
Some people would want to shoot me, but you cannot compare a Denon 2106 with any of the Rotels you mention.

If you can, go for the RSX-1056(By the way I don't have a Rotel receiver, but do enjoy their sound :-) )

Okay, lets give you the best advice! Go and listen to as many receivers as you can, preferably connected to the speakers you wish to purchase and let your ears decide.

Post Number: 8
Ok, thanks for the advice. This is going to be decided between various models from Denon and Marantz by conducting listening tests. The Rotels are in a different price category altogether. Incidentally, I made the enquiry on behalf of a relative living in the UK.

I already have a system comprising of:

1. NAD T753 Receiver
2. PSB Image 6T Fronts
3. PSB Image 9C Centre
4. Paradigm Atoms Rears/Surrounds

I am a Rotel fan too, but unfortunately could not afford the extra cost compared to the T753. I still have a stereo system comsisting of 15 year old Rotel RA-980BX amp, Rotel RCD-965BX CD player, Nakamichi CassetteDeck 1.5 (remember those?) and Infinity Reference Series 30 speakers. 15 years old and the sound still brings absolute joy and pleasure to my ears, nay to my soul!

I really wanted to recommend NAD to my relative, but decided not to because of the many reports of reliability issues mentioned in this forum. My T753 is working flawlessly (touch wood).

Gold Member

Post Number: 3658
The reliability of the Nad gear is not a real issue for me.
I heard a 753 with Psb B25's and could not get over the floor hum that I heard.
I don't know of any reliability issues. That was only one unit, in one store, and the wires may have been crossed, for all I know.

I have never heard of any noise complaints with any Nad gear beyond the receivers, all the integrated and seperates are of very high quality and extremely capable, including driving difficult loads, where the Nad stuff can whack away at Rotel like a champ.

Marantz make some very very nice receivers.
If I were to go shopping for a new receiver, I would shop Marantz probably first, lots of features, honest(and lots) of power, and a name which has been resurrected, but one I grew up with.

Post Number: 9
I spoke to my relative and Marantz is going to be the likely choice, he only needs to decide which model.

You may recall that last year this forum was quite busy with chatter, debates about NAD receiver reliability issues. Hawk defended NAD bravely and even he suffered a major failure with his T753. Also, my relative is looking at receivers only and not separates.

I did not get swayed by this and bought a T753 anyway because I really liked its sound, its ability to drive difficult speaker loads, and confidence in my local dealer to sort out issues. However, I am not comfortable recommending NAD because I normally make recommendations to family & friends, and I would never hear the end of the story if any of them turn out to be one of the unlucky ones!

I would be interested to know whether there was any action or response from NAD as a result of all the complaints that had been posted in forums such as this.

Post Number: 10
I spoke to my relative and Marantz is going to be the likely choice, he only needs to decide which model.

You may recall that last year this forum was quite busy with chatter, debates about NAD receiver reliability issues. Hawk defended NAD bravely and even he suffered a major failure with his T753. Also, my relative is looking at receivers only and not separates.

I did not get swayed by this and bought a T753 anyway because I really liked its sound, its ability to drive difficult speaker loads, and confidence in my local dealer to sort out issues. However, I am not comfortable recommending NAD because I normally make recommendations to family & friends, and I would never hear the end of the story if any of them turn out to be one of the unlucky ones!

I would be interested to know whether there was any action or response from NAD as a result of all the complaints that had been posted in forums such as this.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us