Nad c272 vs. rotel rb-1070

Username: Ronel_salve

Post Number: 6
Hi guys,

Just want to ask your opinion on what's the best sounding amp, the nad c272, or the rotel rb-1070? My speakers are b&w 705 with nad c542 as the source.

Thanks in advance.
Ronel

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 3569
A really good amp will not add any colour ay all.
Both good.
Have you checked out the used market, Ronel?

Bronze Member
Username: Sukhoi30

New Zealand

Post Number: 16
Ronel, dont wanna confuse you any more,but though i like and prefer Rotel over NAD any given day (no offences meant for NAD lovers)i do believe that the Nad 542 would not be best matched with the Rotel however B&W and Rotel sound like made for each other.

I am running NAD 542 with a Rotel 1062 at the moment, while both of them are excellent components by themselves but i feel they dont have that so called synegry going between them.

Hopes this Help

I am sure there will be more advice coming your way, few members on this forum seem to have good experiences with above Combo.

Regards

Post Number: 7
Thanks Nuck and Saurabh. I'm now considering rb-1070 and rc-1070 combo for my stereo setup.

Nuck, I've been visiting audiogon often but very seldom you can find these units in the ad. I'm also looking in local used market these days hoping to find one.

Silver Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 690
Just to add my two cents worth, I'm running a C542 with a NAD C162/272 and B&W 602S3's and the synergy is beautiful. I had been using our Denon DVD-2900 and a Marantz C4300 for cd playback and the C542 was the icing on the cake when thrown in the mix. Both the NAD and Rotel units are great value but from what I have heard, the NAD may be a tad on the warmer side - and perhaps may benefit those who think the metal tweeters of the B&W's are a bit too revealing (though I'm not one).

Gold Member

Post Number: 3602
MR, your setup is the classic Nad.
Very very nice.
However, if you listen to The Who, The Clash or Rush, the pound, the thrill, the James Woods on cappacino immediacy of the Rotel sound would drill right through the cosy Nad sound.

For the price, Rotel can deliver the immediacy and on tempo of Elvis or Janis like it is real.
The expediancy of delivery is very good from them, in fact, I may return my Classe kit and return to the Rotel gear.

coupla pennies.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 691
Drill is the right word Nuck!

:-)

Nuck, I listen to all types of music from from the 50's til now, jazz, rock and blues and even a tad of classical. For my money spent I doubt I can do much better - but it's all relative now ain't it my friend. Money, ears, WAF, cables, rooms, etc, etc, etc, etc and on and on we go.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3607
Yer killin' me mate..follow up on me thread, after much yadda yadda

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 692
Okay, yours is bigger Nuck :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 3632
No,no, MR, I only throw my experiences out here to get the valuable info from all the members.
I hope I did not toss out too odd a bone, if I did cause any consternation my apologies!

It's all about the music, dawg!

Bronze Member

New Zealand

Post Number: 18
Ronel, i have used the 602 s3 with Nad 542 and Nad 352 but was left a bit wanting more (may be my taste), but the difference Rotel made for me was huge and now a Rotel fan, also no offences to MR but i used to think the same - Nads warmth will tame 602s metal HF but for some reason did not work for me.

Now that i have owned both i would any day go for Rotel, but thats just me liking lively sound. :-)

Post Number: 8
Saurabh, I used to have my 602 s3 powered by rotel ra-03 integrated amp. Although it is only 70 wpc, but the combination is amazing. Now that I have my 705, I found that my rotel is lacking. That's why I'm getting an rb-1070, which will come in 2-3 weeks. I will be using my ra-03 as a preamp, rb-1070 poweramp, and my nad c542 as the source.

Post Number: 9
Saurabh, I used to have my 602 s3 powered by rotel ra-03 integrated amp. Although it is only 70 wpc, but the combination is amazing. Now that I have my 705 (I sold my 602s), I found that my rotel is lacking. That's why I'm getting an rb-1070, which will come in 2-3 weeks. By then, I will be using my ra-03 as a preamp, rb-1070 poweramp, and my nad c542 as the source. This move is in line with my future plan to replace my nad with a rotel cdp and the rc-1070/90 preamp. How do you like this setup?

Bronze Member

New Zealand

Post Number: 19
Ronel, I have a very similar setup NAD 542 , Rotel 1062 and 602 S3, now - there is nothing wrong in the sound but i am thinking of swapping NAD 542 with either a Rotel 1072 or Arcam 73t. 542 is amazing but i think especially with B&W 705 you might want smoother treble smoother than NAD 542 so might be next logical upgrade for you.
While i am on the same path i am experimenting as well.

But there are quite a few members here who know way more - Where are you guys??????? :-)

Username: Jcc3

Post Number: 1
I have the 272 with B&Ws and am mildy disappointed and just heard the Rotel 1080 through BW and heard a different sound. NAD is really rolled off at HF while midrange is fine, but that "smooth or soft sound" to me is less resolved. Rotel being affiliated with BW is probably the better match " sounds more even across the audio spectrum with more presence. I don't buy into the NAD "less fatiging" justification for the laid back HF. Kinda of sounds like its behind a veil.

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1748
Isn't it Classé that are affiliated with B&W?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3702
B&W bought Classe in 01.
The B&W North American rep said they rec Rotel for the 6 series,Classe above.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us