Best Upgrade - 3 Choices - What would you Do ?

Bronze Member
Username: Sukhoi30

New Zealand

Post Number: 14
Hi All,

Wanting to upgrade once again :-) any sugggestion as to which will be the best option.

Current System

Nad 542 CDP
Rotel 1062
B&W 602 S3
Kimber 8 TC cables

Wanting to get better sound, more bass- smoother treble.

1) Upgrade CD player to Rega Planet or likes since sometimes hae a feeling that NAD and Rotel Dont mix well?

2) Get Monitor Audio RS6 or 603 s3 - RS 6 - Killer looks and dealer suggests is even a better option than B&Ws with Rotel.

3) Add a Power Amp RB 1050 to biamp- better soundstage and slightly more bass.

Or just hang on to the greens :-).

Dont wanna add a Subwoofer, as i could never integrate it properly in the past.

Please advise as i am already leaning for Monitor Audio RS 6 just for the looks and sound Crystal Clear.

All upgrades cost almost the same.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 3567
saurabh, if you are seeking smoother treble/highs,I have heard only a few speakers to properly present the Rotel.
703's did that
RS6 did that too, but lost a little bass whack.
But costed better.

Stu suggested to me that if I like the Rotel sound, I would love Nait.

However, if you like the Rotel house sound, you could do worse than to add more power.

Have you heard the Rotel cdp1072? You should.

Helpful?

Bronze Member

New Zealand

Post Number: 15
I love the rotel sound but then tha Naim way could start getting a bit costly as will follow with more upgrades.
When i heard the 1072 i found it to be bright, not sure if the demo was correct, was on RA 03 with Dynaudio 62s.
I liked Nad 542 sound but i am now left feeling that may be not the best CDP for 1062, maybe Arcam would have been better choice.
Also 703's are beyond my budget at the moment.

Nuck - what if i add Rb 1050 to start off with and later add RS6 to the mix.

Regards

Gold Member

Post Number: 3573
I would never argue with more power, saurabh, not sure if more power would achieve the goals you mentioned.
It sure would be nice if you could try the parts at home for a bit.
If you are cosy with your dealer you might try for a home trial with a demo unit of your choice, I am doing one now.

Have you tried moving the speakers around?
I am in the middle of placing the room right now, however, judging by my success(or lack of) cannot make suggestions yet.

There is a ton of placement info here and there, it can be a bit of a heavy read, but necessary, really.
What stands are the speakers on?

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3479
My experience has been that Rotel and NAD don't go well together. I would consider going to all NAD or Rotel. If it's a more robust presentation you are looking for then the Rotel would likely be a solution. Adding a Rotel CD player and power amp would almost certainly give the system a fuller sound. Good luck.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3575
I'm not sure why the SN change, AZ, you said where it came from.
So long as we get your input and valuable brain and ear leakage, it matters not.

Agreed on the mismatch, but the 1072 sounded bright to the OP. Hmmm.

Perhaps the speaker stand inquiry will reveal some answer as to the bass coming up short(or not being fully appropriated).

Bronze Member

New Zealand

Post Number: 17
Thanks Nuck and AZ, the stands are Mission Stancette filled with stands, may be a bit light weight for 602 ?? Would Filling them with Lead Shots Help instead?
I totally agree with AZ, NAD and Rotel dont Mix Well (first hand experience :-( ), I had almost Bought Arcam but could not find much difference against NAD except for Smoother Treble and NAD had a few things i really prefer and honestly was cheaper.
I have read else where that 602 s3 wont require a SUB on most occasions as they are that good with Bass, but i keep wanting little more, may be more power would be an answer?

Guys do you think that adding a RB 1050 and Bi amping will help with a Two Way Speaker like 602, dealer says will yield little more bass and way better sound stage.

Please Advise

Regards

Gold Member

Post Number: 3589
I cannot honestly say that more power will yeild more bass. The extra Rotel power did yield giggles for me, and perhaps the perception of more bass, but it was short-lived.

I really have to prod once more about your speaker placement, Saurabh.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1429
saurabh -

I honestly agree with everything Nuck and AZ have said. If you like the Rotel sound, I'd get a Rotel CD player. If you like NAD sound, I'd get an NAD integrated amp. To my ears, NAD and Rotel are both very good for the money, but together, they don't get along well at all.

Since you already have B&W speakers and a Rotel integrated, I'd suggest getting a Rotel CD player. This is probably the cheapest and most satisfying short term route. IMO, Rotel and B&W are more synergistic than NAD and B&W. If you had the Monitor speakers, I'd recommend an NAD integrated.

In regrads to Naim and Rega, they're great CD players (along with everything else they make), but they're expensive, and they won't come close to their potential in your current system. I think they're almost perfect pieces to build around if you're planning on upgrading everything down the road, but not the best finishing pieces if you plan on keeping everything else for the foreseeable future.

Bronze Member

New Zealand

Post Number: 21
:-) Hi guys, just thought of an quick update.

The choices finally boiled down to new Quad CDS or Rotel RB 1050
and opted for Rotel 1050, sloted it into the system today and could hear an immmediate improvement in first 5 seconds woo hoo

Very happy for now, have few days off, will keep you guys posted in detail soon.

Bronze Member

New Zealand

Post Number: 23
Just an update to previous post.

Have added in the RB 1050 into the equation.
And there is quite a bit to smile about, its surely not one of the day and night difference but the first thing i noticed was that the soundstage was much better.
The sound also was clearer.
Initially ran into trouble trying to biamp using Kimber 8 TC as i guess i got it wrong with multiple strands but then ended up using my spare QED Silver for Bass.

Overall happy for the upgrade - and its comforting to think that even if i upgrade my speakers in the future - ill have a wide choice with the ability to drive almost any speakers now.

Rotel Amp Rocks :-)

Thank you for all your responses.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3785
I ve been using my old Rotel amp lately as well, saurabh, and yes, they do rock(and lots of other stuff), rather well.

Good for you.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us